U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:56 PM

6 posts, read 19,194 times

Advertisements

I've been to wilmington before and i know what it "was" like. I loved it! I just wanted updated info from someone who doesn't own there own home. I am not looking for "sunshine & rainbows", just what people don't have anymore-hope. Apparently if owning your own home replaces hope with greed im fine w/ renting. Wilmingtons crime rate is NOTHING compared to living in Albuquerque, NM. I went to my grandmas apt. and within 4 min. about 25 cop cars and 2 swat teams were already outside. Both of my previous apts. were featured on the news for murders and aprt. fires. No matter where you went it was a big risk of doing anything. I've been told by friends who still live in NC that i should move there and I've done a TON of research about wilmington and I know everybody mentions it is hard to get a higher paying job but, i have a chemicle imbalance that prevents me from doing the same B.S. job over ond over. I look for the simple things in life.(i.e. culture, hobbies, nighlife, fun) I feel sorry for the people that worry about money. Thanks for the info and replies. Take Care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 03:56 PM

1,696 posts, read 3,995,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unomomentoporfavor View Post
Thanks for the "no hope" kind of advice people.
It's not no hope. It's the truth of the matter. Like the other poster said, if you wanted all sunshine and rainbows, visit the chambers website. Most of us, tell it like it is. It's not some evil scheme to keep people away, I promise. The only reason I can afford to move/ buy a home in Wilmington is because I work from home and have been saving my money for a LONG time. If I had to get an 'office job' and look for a job in Wilm., I would not be moving, as there are not many jobs to be had (especially to support a family on).

The highest costs of living in Wilm. are the home prices or rents in decent areas, and insurance. But that is true of just about any beach town, I imagine.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:04 PM

Being someone who moves alot i learned a long time ago that you can't believe chambers advice when it comes to relocating. I understand more wealthy people moving in from out-of-town is making wilmingtons living expences very high and creating too many service jobs catering to them, and I believe thats where most "torist" towns go wrong for most residents who try to make it there home. I uderstand w/ our situation Wilmington wouldn't be the best place to live but, I've read many city-data type websites that wilmington was the best place to start a buisness and a career. I wanted to start a career in the automotive profession becoming a master tech. I thought maybe relocating to wilmington would help with that but, w/ most of the posts about wilmington being negative and all sounding the same, I guess not if it's that hard to "get back on your feet" there.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:15 AM

2 posts, read 4,366 times
I can only comment from my own experience, but Wilmington is EXPENSIVE. A job transfer moved me here from the San Francisco CA bay area. I thought "Yippee, low cost of living". NOT! Everything here is roughly the same price as SF. State and sales taxes are about 1.5% less, rents are slightly less, but food is a lot more expensive. Auto ins is a bit less but gas is comparable to SF. I would hate to move here with no job. It's cold in the winter so being a beach bum is out of the question. :-) Since the town has a large college, are a lot of young people willing to work for cheap in the bars and restaurants or admin jobs. There are a few large companies (GE, Corning, PPD) that hire college grads but that's about it. Wilmington is a great town and we really like it here, but I sure wouldn't have moved here w/o a good paying job.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:21 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,229,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unomomentoporfavor View Post
I wanted to start a career in the automotive profession becoming a master tech. I thought maybe relocating to wilmington would help with that but, w/ most of the posts about wilmington being negative and all sounding the same, I guess not if it's that hard to "get back on your feet" there.
if you start your own business, there's a lot of opportunity here in wilmington. people in this town have some money to spend, if you know where to look. however, if you want to be hired by someone else, it helps to know people, or have top notch skills in your field.

i don't think wilmington would be a bad place to be a mechanic, though, if you could get that idea off the ground.

Last edited by le roi; 01-26-2011 at 06:48 AM..

Old 01-26-2011, 07:40 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,825,209 times
Based on the cost of rentals (which includes utilities and renters insurance), Wilmington is the third expensive in NC behind only Charlotte (#2) and Asheville (#1). As others have said there aren't alot of entry level job openings available to support the cost of housing, which makes it feel even more expensive. There are professional jobs hiring in Wilmington, if you meet the necessary qualifications. Wilmington is not the pale to come to with no skills, no degree, no money, no job, and no plan and hope to just "make it" or "get on your feet". That said, it can be done, but don't enter into this situation with rose colored glasses.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:43 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,050,035 times
Is Wilmington, NC a right choice now?

Wouldn't that greatly depend upon your expectations? I'm heading out to Wilmington this coming weekend, a fishing seminar, salt water, at one of the big hotels, looking forward to it.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:36 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,229,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
Curious for more info on that.

Here's another piece of information for you. Wilmington has more credit card debt (normalized for income) than any city in America. I think this goes rather nicely with my economic narrative about wages.

Quote:
Credit is king in Wilmington, according to new report - WECT TV6 - WECT.com - Wilmington, NC news and weather -

The new report released Tuesday by Equifax, a company that compiles credit reports, shows that people in Wilmington owe more than 17% of their income to credit cards.

That's the highest in the nation.

Last edited by le roi; 01-27-2011 at 10:03 AM..

Old 01-30-2011, 04:13 AM

Wow, now that's "more along the lines" type of info i was looking for. Thanks for all the help.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:18 AM

700 posts, read 2,943,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILM2TN View Post
I can only comment from my own experience, but Wilmington is EXPENSIVE. A job transfer moved me here from the San Francisco CA bay area. I thought "Yippee, low cost of living". NOT! Everything here is roughly the same price as SF. State and sales taxes are about 1.5% less, rents are slightly less, but food is a lot more expensive. Auto ins is a bit less but gas is comparable to SF. I would hate to move here with no job. It's cold in the winter so being a beach bum is out of the question. :-) Since the town has a large college, are a lot of young people willing to work for cheap in the bars and restaurants or admin jobs. There are a few large companies (GE, Corning, PPD) that hire college grads but that's about it. Wilmington is a great town and we really like it here, but I sure wouldn't have moved here w/o a good paying job.
I've been to San Francisco and EVERYTHING is higher there than here!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina