U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:08 PM

3,915 posts, read 5,369,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
I'm thinking about moving to Ocracoke or somewhere near by.

what's a pretty hot job over near by Ocracoke besides waiting tables?

Thanks.
What skills and education do you have for a "hot job"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 06:14 PM

10,401 posts, read 19,425,752 times
Do people do ANY research whatsoever before deciding "I'm moving to _____!!"??
(Rhetorical question--it's already been answered...)

Old 02-02-2011, 08:32 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,638,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
When I was a kid, granted that wasn't too long ago, my family used to take an annual vacation to the OBX for two weeks. I never remember seeing any Eastern Europeans working at any of the resturants, clothing stores, or surf shops. Maybe they were at the bars?

When did the influx of Eastern Europeans start coming to the OBX? Also, who sponsors all of these Eastern Europeans? Business owners? Why would a business owner go through the hassle of hiring a foreigner when you have plenty of unemployed people on the OBX and Eastern NC to choose from?
A lot of local businesses are partnered with a program called BUNAC which sponsors work exchange programs around Europe. There was a drop-off in the usual number of college summer workers in the mid-90s so they started hiring college kids in the UK and later Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Slovakia, etc to fill the gap. Word got around back home and kids who weren't in college came over too. Some stuck around and got married to locals, others got full-time work visas, and a few went to school.

As for people outside the beach, there was a plan a few years back to build employee housing in Tyrrell Co and buy a shuttle bus but it fell through when the economy tanked. It's really not economically feasible for a low wage worker to drive 45 minutes each way for seasonal employment and go on unemployment seven months out of the year, which many local seasonal workers do.

But now that the economy's in the crapper all that's over with. I miss standing in line at the grocery store and hearing a Peruvian woman argue with the Russian cashier about coupons both in broken English. That's the kind of thing which makes a person proud to be an American.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:01 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,184,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
on ocracoke? sure., one school that houses grades k-12. no, im not kidding

Why would you be kidding? The closest high school is either mainland, after a good 2hr plus ferry ride or Cape Hatteras which is close to 2hrs as well. Ocracoke is OUT there. Last I heard there are two other K-12 in the state: Princeton HS in Johnston County and somewhere in the mountains.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:50 PM

1,696 posts, read 3,994,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Why would you be kidding? The closest high school is either mainland, after a good 2hr plus ferry ride or Cape Hatteras which is close to 2hrs as well. Ocracoke is OUT there. Last I heard there are two other K-12 in the state: Princeton HS in Johnston County and somewhere in the mountains.
a lot of folks not familiar with the area don't realize that, though. and 'one room' school houses (bit of an exaggeration there, but you get what i mean) are not that common, except many private schools often have k-12 but often spread out over a fairly large campus...

i didnt realize there were two others in the state but then, the outer banks, wilmington and raleigh is what i know more about LOL. that surprises me about princeton, not a big town at all but looks like they have over 1,000 students compared to what few ocracoke has (not sure of count, but know its not nearly that high! if they had 100 it would surprise me lol)

Old 02-02-2011, 06:57 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,822,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post

North Duplin High, just south of Mount Olive. The way it's set up the elementary school and middle/high are separte buildings and offically 2 differnt schools, but it's really one big campus. They share the same lunch room and everything. Same kids/teacher from K-12. Actually works well, it's a public school with a private school feel and real family atmosphere.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:16 PM

101 posts, read 199,169 times
A small school like Ocracoke would be a dream for a teacher to work at, you are very likely to be able to get hold of a parent if you have a problem, and it is probably well supported by the community.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:37 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,184,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
North Duplin High, just south of Mount Olive. The way it's set up the elementary school and middle/high are separte buildings and offically 2 differnt schools, but it's really one big campus. They share the same lunch room and everything. Same kids/teacher from K-12. Actually works well, it's a public school with a private school feel and real family atmosphere.
Hobbton, or some school around there, is set up like that. All on the same plot of land

Old 02-03-2011, 07:33 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,298,338 times
I've been to Ocracoke Island about 4 times in my lifetime. I'm a young man. I stayed at the Silver Lake Inn, on top room where the bar is, with the winding stairs up to the top of the roof.

I was thinking about creating a print/marketing/branding/travel information center as a business for myself and maybe buying a house. I would do all the branding, marketing and printing for the entire island. I have about 15 years of Great experience in it.

Then, oil paint and live there for the rest of my life.

I make pretty good money in DC, but my heart is magnetized by Ocracoke Island, ever since I accidently arrived there back in 98'. The place makes me happy and I'm peaceful there, than any place I've ever been too.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:36 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,041,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
I make pretty good money in DC, but my heart is magnetized by Ocracoke Island, ever since I accidently arrived there back in 98'. The place makes me happy and I'm peaceful there, than any place I've ever been too.
If you want to keep that special feeling then don't move to Ocracoke. Move to somewhere that will be able to support you but is still an easy drive. Jacksonville, Morehead City, New Bern, Greenville and others are more economically viable and a short drive or ferry ride to Ocracoke.

Before I moved to Greenville I fell in love with the Outer Banks. As much as I'd like to live there I knew that it just wouldn't work out. I had to have an area with a much larger customer base. Now I'm close to the OBX and it's an easy drive. I can make it in an hour and a half. I used to live in Edgewater, just south of Annapolis. That was a bit of a longer drive.

And the best part is the OBX still has that allure for me. I still want to go there all of the time and I never dread the trip. I really didn't want to move there and possibly ruin it by haveing to work everyday, meet deadlines and have to deal with nasty customers. It is still a very comfortable place to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina