U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:18 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,000,267 times

Advertisements

i think i might have to agree with richard. hubby and i actually discussed moving to ocracoke because we both love it SO much and work from home already, so finding work isnt an issue. BUT, we both agreed that by living there, it would eventually lose its charm (not to mention no convenient shopping options LOL).

So we decided it was best for us, to move to the coast but keep OI, a little further out so that its still a little bit of a trip to get there, and we still eagerly look forward to our next trip

anytime you move somewhere you get accustomed to it, and it loses part of its allure. For me, part of that charm is the moment i step foot on the island- everything else disappears. work, problems, stress... and thats why i love it so. If i lived there, those problems would be on the island with me, and it wouldnt be the sanctuary that i look forward to, you know???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 07:54 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,302,562 times
I get the "where do you go for vacation when you're living in a vacation spot". But small, quiet town near the coast is so ideal. Although I thought about what it was like in the off season, and during the storms.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:38 PM

10,403 posts, read 19,455,627 times
So essentially you fell in love with the place on vacation, and now want a "permanent vacation" there? I hope you realize that no "vacation place" is the same when you live there full-time and have to earn a living.

As for starting a print/travel/marketing business: have you looked into what is already there? Someone is doing their marketing already, possibly/probably someone who has lived there their whole lives. I don't know why you think a small, insular community such as Ocracoke would trust an "outsider" to serve as an information center when there are so many there who are native and know the full history and everything about the area? most island communities, not just in NC, are fiercely territorial and while they might enjoy sharing "their land" with tourists, I can't imagine that they would take kindly to an "outsider" setting up shop claiming to be the "source of all information" for the island. It would take living there for at least a year to even get an inkling of what Ocracoke is actually like full-time, and what would you do to support yourself during that time?

I am not trying to be discouraging, and I, too, have fallen in love with places on vacation and dreamed of living there, but the reality is not like what it's like on vacation. Especially if you are basing your future on moving in and "doing all the printing/travel/info for the island" without knowing anything about how that business is set up now?

I would encourage you to take and extended "vacation" to the area during off-season and scout around for what the job market is like OFF season and how amenable they are to "mainlanders" coming there and taking over business that's currently being done by (possibly) long-timers. you don't want to put all your eggs in this basket, no matter how romantic it may seem to "live there forever and do oil painting". Maybe you can buy a lottery ticket while you're there

Old 02-11-2011, 01:18 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,882,381 times
I live in a summer vacation coastal town and it's proven fine for all-year. In fact, I like it best during the off-season when the town becomes itself again, kind of sleepy and it's time for potlucks and bike rides through deserted streets. But summer's fine, when visitors come from all over to enjoy what we enjoy all year long (except the ocean's too cold for swimming). Walking on an empty winter beach can be soul-satisfying in its own way.

What makes a community special and snug for all year are the people, and some fine folks live in our small community. I feel very anchored and nurtured.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:19 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,643,791 times
I was visiting some friends down there the other day and it's deader than dead right now. Given their location it's never as bustling in the summer as it is further up the beach, so the drop-off isn't as severe, but winters are plenty desolate.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
So essentially you fell in love with the place on vacation, and now want a "permanent vacation" there? I hope you realize that no "vacation place" is the same when you live there full-time and have to earn a living.

As for starting a print/travel/marketing business: have you looked into what is already there? Someone is doing their marketing already, possibly/probably someone who has lived there their whole lives. I don't know why you think a small, insular community such as Ocracoke would trust an "outsider" to serve as an information center when there are so many there who are native and know the full history and everything about the area? most island communities, not just in NC, are fiercely territorial and while they might enjoy sharing "their land" with tourists, I can't imagine that they would take kindly to an "outsider" setting up shop claiming to be the "source of all information" for the island. It would take living there for at least a year to even get an inkling of what Ocracoke is actually like full-time, and what would you do to support yourself during that time?

I am not trying to be discouraging, and I, too, have fallen in love with places on vacation and dreamed of living there, but the reality is not like what it's like on vacation. Especially if you are basing your future on moving in and "doing all the printing/travel/info for the island" without knowing anything about how that business is set up now?

I would encourage you to take and extended "vacation" to the area during off-season and scout around for what the job market is like OFF season and how amenable they are to "mainlanders" coming there and taking over business that's currently being done by (possibly) long-timers. you don't want to put all your eggs in this basket, no matter how romantic it may seem to "live there forever and do oil painting". Maybe you can buy a lottery ticket while you're there
I know what the marketing is like, printing is like, and I've done my homework, I just don't want to put it on here in the open.

I grew up in GA, we're practically cousins.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

I know what the marketing is like, printing is like, and I've done my homework, I just don't want to put it on here in the open.

I'm trying to find a home and not really a vacation spot. They say home is where your heart is, and maybe my translation of where the home is there.

I grew up in GA, we're practically cousins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina