U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2007, 09:42 AM

10 posts, read 74,762 times

Advertisements

If you have the ability to travel in later fall (oct) or early spring (march or april).. both these areas have great shell hunting... good anytime but can be very picked over during the summer months due to tourist... if yo ucan plan your trips around full moon time when the tide is the highest, you can find some real treasures that get washed up on the shores of the areas that are barrier islands and you have to take a boat to get there... get up early and go... beat the crowds..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 05:57 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,694,576 times
There are some shells at Ocracoke Island. You can get there from the Outer Banks by a long drive south to Hatteras, then take the ferry over. Go down to the inlet between the ocean and the sound, and there's lots of good shells.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:05 PM

14 posts, read 76,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
When I went to the outer banks in May I was rather disappointed in the lack of sea shells. I found some beautiful white scallion type shells but nothing of large size. I was looking for the kind of shells that you know you put your ear against it and can hear the ocean lol.

I saw them sold at stores but to me it not same thing as finding these treasures on the beach.

I love to find some sand dollars , scotch bonnets, etc.

I guess my thinking that the outer banks being the most outer point would be a haven are they located further south.

Any suggestions is appreciated thanks.
You can definitely find Conch shells on Shackleford Island as well as Bird Island near Beaufort, NC. You will have to go snorkling to find the big ones, but it's fun. Holden Beach, NC also has a fairly good selection of shells. Forget Wrightsville Beach and and some of the others that have been dredged to death. The outer banks depends on the storms that have hit the area. The currents and water is very rough there.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:25 PM

713 posts, read 3,471,139 times
Smile I would agree on the shell spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinafan View Post
You can definitely find Conch shells on Shackleford Island as well as Bird Island near Beaufort, NC. You will have to go snorkling to find the big ones, but it's fun. Holden Beach, NC also has a fairly good selection of shells. Forget Wrightsville Beach and and some of the others that have been dredged to death. The outer banks depends on the storms that have hit the area. The currents and water is very rough there.
Shackleford is a great spot, of course you have to reach it by boat. The boat trip there is as much fun as the shelling. We actual did the trip to Shackleford by boat all the way from Swansboro.

We also find that some of the "low tide" beaches in Bogue Inlet near Bear Island (Hammocks Beach State Park) are also very good shelling spots for people with boat transportation.

You just have to pay attention to the tides since much of beach is underwater at high tide.

You can get a good idea of the area I'm talking about by downloading the "Park" PDF map from the Hammocks Beach site.

I haven't tried Hammocks Beach itself (but I am guessing the shells might be pretty good there) but there is an inexpensive ferry to the beach. I think it is $5 for adults and $3 for children.

This is the schedule

Last edited by dsobotta; 06-26-2008 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: deleted extraneous words

Old 06-30-2008, 06:38 PM

522 posts, read 873,131 times
Outer banks is great in the fall, have been there many times and love it, BUT!!! You must know that there ARE HURRICANES too!!!!
I did encounter this!!!
There is one route in and one route out if you are down at oregon inlet or the national seashore.
I did find some shells there , not like sanibel island in Florida, but just the same a lovely area.
Edisto island is also known for its shelling in South Carolina.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:40 PM

522 posts, read 873,131 times
PS There are less crowds in the fall on the outer banks, But, I did still encounter children and many people traveling as late as mid October in this area.
It is very appealing because everyone is looking for that place that is still "uninhabited".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina