U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 07:53 PM

229 posts, read 378,102 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what the Small town of Washington, North Carolina is like? My husband has a job offer there and we have never been anywhere near there. It sounds Interesting and the pictures look nice. I have read that there is alot of crime though. We love the outdoors and we have children in school, so schools are very important, but nightlife is not. Can you tell me what you know about this town?
Thanks in Advance!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 07:11 AM

101 posts, read 201,976 times
We rode down there a week ago, the downtown area is very active, and the waterfront is beautiful and affordable. I've not heard anything about excess crime. You also are only 20 minutes from Greenville, that will have all the stores and amenties that Little Washington does not. And Greenville cannot match the waterfront.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:45 AM

11,109 posts, read 15,750,318 times
Maybe someone could answer this question: where would you look for nice apartment or home rentals in or close to Washington NC? I have a relative looking for an apt. on the coast for a year or so while they look for a home there. Thanks.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:45 PM

28 posts, read 75,201 times
Little Washington is a beautiful little town on the pamlico river. Lil' Washington as far as I'm aware doesn't have a huge crime issue. Greenville, NC has some crime which is 20 minutes up the road.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:01 PM

229 posts, read 378,102 times
Thank You So Much!!

Do you know if there are nice parks around there? Do people swim in the river? If one wanted to go to the ocean what beaches would you recommend?

We really love small towns and the fact that Little Washington is near the bigger city of Greenville makes it nice, especially since we have been living in a very large city for many years. Although we did grow up in small towns. For the past year we have lived in the country about 7 miles from a small town and 25 miles from a large city. We love it. So if we do move to Little Washington we will most likely look for a home in the country as you suggested. Thanks for the advice on looking for a hill. =)

Is the Terrain around there hilly or flat? Lots of trees?

Old 02-05-2011, 07:41 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,947,452 times
N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Goose Creek State Park

http://www.partnershipforthesounds.o...Estuarium.aspx

The closest ocean beach would be Atlantic Beach (crystal coast) at about 1.5 hours or little less , 2nd closest would be nags head (OBX) a little under 2 hrs

Old 02-05-2011, 08:19 PM
LLN

5,029 posts, read 8,957,126 times
Washington, frequently referred to as Little Washington, not the preferred "The original Washington" is to me a great town. Only 20 - 30 minutes (very easy) from Greenville (which has most national stores, but not all) it, itself is very small. Like many small southern towns, but the well to do and the not well to do live very close to each other. If you are from a nice 'burb up north, this may at first shock you, but this is the south. In other words, crime 1/2 mile from your house, is...1/2 mile away. Most but not all crime is restricted to certain areas.

The Washington waterfront is awesome. During the summer, I think once a month, they have a Friday evening party. Many in Washington eshcew the trip to the coast for the Pamlico Sound. Washington is at the extreme upper reaches of the sound, i.e., the river starts getting wide just downstream from Washington. Boating, sailing, yakking, and fishing are all popular and very accessible water sports. The beach is doable, but it is a bit of a hike, about, as others have said, 1.5 to 2 hours.

There is a principal Realtor in town, and I am sure of others. I don't think you are going to find a lot of "modern" apartments there, but if that is a priority, you could always make the tradeoff and live in Greenville, apartment city. I would suggest an older home, within several blocks of the downtown. You have to be a bit wary, but a good Realtor can help you.

Good luck. I came in second on my dream job, that would have landed me in Washington. I envy you and your opportunity.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:59 AM

1,677 posts, read 5,427,854 times
Very good post LLN!
The only thing I'd like to add is that the waters of the Pamlico River are very brackish their at Washington. It creates an interesting combination of fresh/salt water environment. Be sure to visit the NC Estuarium located on the Washington waterfront: http://www.coastalguide.com/returnli...rthesounds.org

Old 02-06-2011, 04:03 AM

2,158 posts, read 5,166,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
Thank You So Much!!

Do you know if there are nice parks around there? Do people swim in the river? If one wanted to go to the ocean what beaches would you recommend?

We really love small towns and the fact that Little Washington is near the bigger city of Greenville makes it nice, especially since we have been living in a very large city for many years. Although we did grow up in small towns. For the past year we have lived in the country about 7 miles from a small town and 25 miles from a large city. We love it. So if we do move to Little Washington we will most likely look for a home in the country as you suggested. Thanks for the advice on looking for a hill. =)

Is the Terrain around there hilly or flat? Lots of trees?
I can describe Washington in 4 letters. S L O W

The WHOLE of Eastern Carolina from Greenville east is flat as a pancake. You may have a gentle roll in the terrain from time to time but flat best describes the area.

The area is about 50-50 trees and farmland. There are trees of every variety. Pine and Gumball are the predominate species.

Don't be shocked the first time you see how they harvest pine trees from the landscape. It's looks like a war went through. They'll go in an cut 100 acres of pine trees and leaves the stumps and other mess behind. It's very ugly.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:53 AM

11,109 posts, read 15,750,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Washington, frequently referred to as Little Washington, not the preferred "The original Washington" is to me a great town. Only 20 - 30 minutes (very easy) from Greenville (which has most national stores, but not all) it, itself is very small. Like many small southern towns, but the well to do and the not well to do live very close to each other. If you are from a nice 'burb up north, this may at first shock you, but this is the south. In other words, crime 1/2 mile from your house, is...1/2 mile away. Most but not all crime is restricted to certain areas.

The Washington waterfront is awesome. During the summer, I think once a month, they have a Friday evening party. Many in Washington eshcew the trip to the coast for the Pamlico Sound. Washington is at the extreme upper reaches of the sound, i.e., the river starts getting wide just downstream from Washington. Boating, sailing, yakking, and fishing are all popular and very accessible water sports. The beach is doable, but it is a bit of a hike, about, as others have said, 1.5 to 2 hours.

There is a principal Realtor in town, and I am sure of others. I don't think you are going to find a lot of "modern" apartments there, but if that is a priority, you could always make the tradeoff and live in Greenville, apartment city. I would suggest an older home, within several blocks of the downtown. You have to be a bit wary, but a good Realtor can help you.

Good luck. I came in second on my dream job, that would have landed me in Washington. I envy you and your opportunity.
Thank you LLN; I'm not surprised there aren't many apartments per se in Washington itself, so I will have them check the Greenville area, and also the Oriental area. I've tried to get them over here in the mountains, but no way; they are "water people". I bought them the video from the UNC website "The Sounds", but there was not a lot on there about beaches, just the rivers/waterways to the ocean. Loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina