U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-06-2011, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 4,529 times
Default New Bern or Wilmington?

My family and I (which includes a 16 month old daughter and dog) are relocating to work at MCAS New River this summer. We want to live in a more "normal" town with restaurants, charm, amenities, and are debating between New Bern and Wilmington. I know Wilmington is bigger in the way of what it has to offer and size, but New Bern seems charming (at least from what I've found online).

Thoughts?

We also are considering buying but want to buy a house that won't just be "yet another house" in yet another subdivision in 10 years (I know that's hard to predict, but I what I mean is, not cookie cutter).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 11:32 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,060,497 times
Both of these are too far from New River. Look as far as Swansboro, Hampstead, and Richlands as far as North, South, West and anywhere in between. Swansboro would probably be my personal pick, followed by Hampstead, then Richlands.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 4,529 times
Thanks for this advice! Question - what is "too far"? We currently commute 45-50 minutes to our jobs now (and live in the middle of nowhere), so that is our "standard"...

Old 02-06-2011, 02:14 PM

2,898 posts, read 4,060,497 times
Wilmington & New Bern are both about an hour away. Hampstead is 40 min, between Jacksonville and Wilmington on 17. Swansboro and Richlands are about 30 min away on either end of 24. If you're still interested in New Bern check out River Bend between New Bern and Jacksonville. It still carries a New Bern zip and places you a bit further down 17 toward New River. Probably about 45 min away.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:44 PM

443 posts, read 1,004,761 times
I'd also recommend looking at Holly Ridge/Surf City as well, which are small towns between Jacksonville and Wilmington. They are close to the afore-mentioned Hampstead.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:28 AM

85 posts, read 94,382 times
Swansboro, Cape Carteret, Morehead City, Holly Ridge are all great areas, and plenty of established S/D, if schools are a major consideration, then consider Cape Carteret school district, best around, then probably Morehead City schools, then Swansboro, and schools around Sneads Ferry...Lots of communities with water access, recreational, close proximity to libraries, restaurants, etc..

Old 03-30-2011, 07:19 AM

15 posts, read 13,222 times
Default calito carolina

For activities Wilmington may offer more. But buyer beware, most newer developements have HOA's and can affect resale of home. For less traffic and and a more informal life style New Bern offers up some interesting lifestyles.
This holds true as long as you are willing to travel to other areas. Morehead City and Beaufort for coastal experiences. Atlantic Beach or Emerald Isle for swimming with an aquarium as an added feature and a civil war fortification for history. Jacksonville 30 miles away for addtional shoppingor eating. Greenville 50 miles away for that collegiate feeling and to root for ECU teams and Kinston 40 miles away to see some great triple A baseball and have a hot dog or 2 without great expense. Lets hope the fuel prices stabilize.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:39 AM

1,640 posts, read 3,278,404 times
CalitoCarolina,
All of the towns mentioned in this thread are super. But each are unique with their own characteristics. You may love Morehead City. I might be partial to New Bern. Both of us would be "right" in our choices. Is there anyway you can tour the general area in advance of any big decision?
Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina