U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2007, 08:08 AM

101 posts, read 430,939 times

Advertisements

Do the towns in the Outer banks have different 'personalities'?

We are thinking of spending a week there at the end of August, and would like to know which towns are busy, quaint, laid back, touristy etc etc.
Ideally we would like somewhere that has charm, a few little shops, coffee shops, restaurants and maybe a bookstore to keep my husband happy!

That's for when we get off the beach of course!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 08:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,586,358 times
Yes each one is different from Corolla all the way down to Ocracoke.

Corolla I would call a high end type of town with fancy upscale shops.
Duck more of middle the road with typical amenities
Kill Devil Hills, and Kitty Hawk I had trouble distinguishing between the two but they have your standare american chain restaurants and strip malls and same with Nags Head if that is important to be around things you are familar and lots of variety of tourist trap shops, etc then this might be ideal.

Rodanthe, Salvo, Avon, Buxton, Frisco, and Waves are very cute villages
Eachone has their own personality. What I like about this area it very quiet and less traffic than the northern OBX If you are looking for a beach that someone isnt sitting 2 feet from you then this is the spot.

What I like about this area is the lack of chain restaurants and strip malls
There a few strip malls but they have local stores except for a food lion.
One of my favorite stores far as the way it look is the Mad hatter just a funky pink beach building.
If youi want to be just around local stores and restaurants this is the place.

Hatteras is another cool village but a little more upscale and large marina.

Ocracoke is a very cute village it good to get off hwy 12 and explore the feel of the town.

When I go there I want to escape from what I am use to so I tend to stay on Hatteras island but each individual has ther own taste.
I had trouble finding COFFEE there though I find a few but they wasnt open all day and I like a afternoon latte and getting a latte seem impossible for me.
Most of coffee shops i found serve perculator style coffee it was a hoot.
I thought maybe because of the beach life but Ice coffee would have been find for me.

I stayed in Avon this past may and best homes to ge here are in kinnakeet shores they have these canals going around the homes and there is turtle , ducks and fish around or in the water. Avon has a local grocery store and a food lion and a small movie theater.

After being there I have a new appreciation for this state beauty.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:12 AM

Thankyou Sunny Kayak

That is just what I wanted to know.
I think we favour the quieter places - don't want touristy shops and chain restaurants. I'd been homing in on Corolla and Duck but now I think we'll look at some of those cute villages you mentioned.
Do you think the beaches will be busy? We plan to go sometime after 25th August so will the children be back at school by then?
It is somewhere we've always wanted to visit, so hopefully we'll get there.

Life's too short to stay at home!

Old 07-21-2007, 06:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,586,358 times
Wher I decided to stay there, I didnt know nothing about the area but always wanted to to vacation there and I was having trouble finding a hotel deals on the travel discount sites. So I started exploring vacation rental homes I learn in my research of various realty companies that the villages on hatteras island had cheaper prices than those on the north end. You can get more amenities for the price too.

Im not sure about last week but I do believe that is NC start of school week so the crowds will definite be gone and even on regular summer day.
Hatteras island is part of cape hatteras seashore so commercial development is very limited providing miles and miles of almost undisturb beach.
I think rental companies lower there prices either that week or the following week so you probably will find a good deal. September is still very mild weather wize so it should still be great beach weather but september is also peak hurricane month, however this has been a very quiet year nationally.

Some rentals provide fresh sheets that is a nice option to have we only had to provide our towels to be used.
Most have a Saturday or Sunday check in and the mistake I made was not bringing non perishable groceries with me. Every other renter is at the grocery store on Saturday and Sunday. (Just a heads up).

Some of the villages I mention above are sound front and some are ocean front decide which one you would prefer. Sunrise over the ocean or a sunset over the sound both are nice.

Good thing about the village towns unless you really need to see the ocean or sound you do not have to have oceanfront or soundfront vacation home rental due to either are very walkable distance.

It was me and my partner first vacation where I didnt have a do list of things to see so and it really provided a very relaxing time to enjoy the nature, feel of the island , play cards and enjoy the sunsets. Canadian Hole between Avon and Buxton provides awesome sunsets. Find out what time the sunsets and get to that spot a hour before and enjoy.

In this city data thread i posted some of my sunset photos
http://www.city-data.com/forum/photo...et-photos.html

Old 07-21-2007, 08:55 PM

713 posts, read 3,471,445 times
Smile Don't forget the Southern Outer Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstephie View Post
Do the towns in the Outer banks have different 'personalities'?

We are thinking of spending a week there at the end of August, and would like to know which towns are busy, quaint, laid back, touristy etc etc.
Ideally we would like somewhere that has charm, a few little shops, coffee shops, restaurants and maybe a bookstore to keep my husband happy!

That's for when we get off the beach of course!
Thanks
Unless you are coming from eastern Virginia or areas north of there, the Southern Outer Banks are easier to reach and also a very relaxing experience.

The southern Outer Banks perhaps have a higher percentage of instate visitors which make your visit a little more relaxing.

For many years I had a love affair with the Northern Banks, but now they are a little crowded for my taste in the summer. The last time I was in Duck making a left turn was a challenge.

That said, you might want to look at Swansboro or Beaufort (http://coastalnc.org/beaufortnctravelguide - broken link) or the beaches of Emerald Isle.

You might also enjoy my post about Cape Lookout which is the way the Outer Banks really should be.

If you go on the Southern Outer Banks, don't forget to view it from a boat. My suggested route from areas north and west is in this post on my View from the Mountain Blog.

David Sobotta

Last edited by dsobotta; 07-21-2007 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: forgot link

Old 07-22-2007, 08:06 AM

Thanks to both of you for your helpful information.
Your photos are great.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 7,597 times
I live in the Martin's Point community of OBX (which is for residents not renters) and I read with interest the comments you received. They are reasonably accurate in my judgment. I would say that unless you visit some portion of Hatteras Island and/or Ocracoke, you have not seen the real Outer Banks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina