U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 05:53 PM

10,893 posts, read 15,211,044 times

Advertisements

We are planning a trip (4 people) over to the coast for about 4 days/nights. Looking for recommendations for a nice clean quiet (off the highway) hotel to stay centrally located so we can go to Greenville, Oriental, Shallotte, maybe Southport, Wilmington. Should we stay in Wilmington?

Like Hampton Inns generally; but looking for suggestions. Don't need or want a resort hotel, we are going end of March. Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 06:12 PM

791 posts, read 1,639,783 times
Dear Quilterchick.... just stayed at the Wingate Wyndham in Southport in December, nicest, cleanest hotel we have stayed at, brand new and absolutely spotless, beautiful rooms, free breakfast, internet room, pool, etc, just one minute from the bayfront restaurants.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:27 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,837,020 times
I can't recommend a hotel, but the closest you'll get to centrally located for that spread is Jacksonville. About 1.5 hrs or less to all of the places you listed. All the hotels are going to be right on US hwy 17,24, or Western Blvd, none of which is a location like you described. For the number of days you are staying look for a vacation rental in Sneads Ferry or Swansboro. With Swansboro being the best compromise outside of Jacksonville. That'll let you take a gander at Beaufort as well, should you choose. Some hidden gems on the backside of Carteret county along the intracoastal waterway.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:47 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,365,736 times
Good call on macjr82's part to suggest Jacksonville as your central location. If hotel rates are anything like real estate prices then you'll find J'ville to be cost effective too.
The only negative is that the places you will be visiting like Oriental, Southport, Crystal Coast are all seaport/waterfront towns. Although J'ville is up towards the head end of New River-It really isn't the same as the others. Jacksonville is also home to Marine Corps Air Station Camp LeJune. You'll probably be treated to an unofficial air show if you stay there.
Bill

Old 02-12-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Dear Quilterchick.... just stayed at the Wingate Wyndham in Southport in December, nicest, cleanest hotel we have stayed at, brand new and absolutely spotless, beautiful rooms, free breakfast, internet room, pool, etc, just one minute from the bayfront restaurants.
Thank you, will definitely check that one !

Old 02-12-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I can't recommend a hotel, but the closest you'll get to centrally located for that spread is Jacksonville. About 1.5 hrs or less to all of the places you listed. All the hotels are going to be right on US hwy 17,24, or Western Blvd, none of which is a location like you described. For the number of days you are staying look for a vacation rental in Sneads Ferry or Swansboro. With Swansboro being the best compromise outside of Jacksonville. That'll let you take a gander at Beaufort as well, should you choose. Some hidden gems on the backside of Carteret county along the intracoastal waterway.

Oooooh, Mac, tell me about those hidden gems please. Beaufort is interesting too. Thanks !

Old 02-12-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Good call on macjr82's part to suggest Jacksonville as your central location. If hotel rates are anything like real estate prices then you'll find J'ville to be cost effective too.
The only negative is that the places you will be visiting like Oriental, Southport, Crystal Coast are all seaport/waterfront towns. Although J'ville is up towards the head end of New River-It really isn't the same as the others. Jacksonville is also home to Marine Corps Air Station Camp LeJune. You'll probably be treated to an unofficial air show if you stay there.
Bill

Thank you Bill, we realize that narrowing down the travel in between towns is necessary, and this is a preliminary trip so my friends can get a "feel" for where they may want to settle in, not on the water, but "close enough". Not a house hunting trip yet, just a tour of the areas. Staying in Jacksonville is a possiblity too, would that be better than staying somewhere around Greenville? or ?

Old 02-12-2011, 08:38 AM

101 posts, read 199,442 times
If I was trying to pull off that trip, I would stay in New Bern for two days, cover Oriental,Greenville, Beaufort, Atlantic Beach and Emerald Isle. Then I would move to a hotel in the Wilmington area for the next two days to cover Southport, Wrightsville and Carolina Beaches. That would make it a more managable trip.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Person View Post
If I was trying to pull off that trip, I would stay in New Bern for two days, cover Oriental,Greenville, Beaufort, Atlantic Beach and Emerald Isle. Then I would move to a hotel in the Wilmington area for the next two days to cover Southport, Wrightsville and Carolina Beaches. That would make it a more managable trip.
That sounds perfect Connie ... we are trying to cover too much territory to be grounded in one place. thanks ! And I am not crazy about looking anywhere near the military base.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:08 AM

101 posts, read 199,442 times
The military around Morehead is responsible for all the growth in that area, they are ramping up. That is why there are so many more year around resturants and stores. It has made the area more popular for year around living for everyone. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina