U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,172 times

Advertisements

I am another one of those Cali-people going through Mexican food withdrawls. It has been a very disappointing search for good Chile Colorado and good chips and salsa. Also, what is american cheese even doing on the property unless toasted cheese sandwiches are on the kids menu? If you are from So-Cal, you know what I mean. If there are any other transplants out there that have already found shredded beef tacos, thick hot salsa and home made chips, please let me know where it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:48 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,825,209 times
My Fav

El Cerro Mexican Bar and Grill | Facebook
El Cerro Mexican Bar & Grill
El Cerro Grande Mexican Bar & Grill

Old 02-16-2011, 05:29 AM

700 posts, read 2,943,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostineastern-nc View Post
I am another one of those Cali-people going through Mexican food withdrawls. It has been a very disappointing search for good Chile Colorado and good chips and salsa. Also, what is american cheese even doing on the property unless toasted cheese sandwiches are on the kids menu? If you are from So-Cal, you know what I mean. If there are any other transplants out there that have already found shredded beef tacos, thick hot salsa and home made chips, please let me know where it is?
The best mexican restaurant anywhere around here is Abuelo's in Myrtle Beach.I know it's further away than you wanted,but believe me it's well worth the drive. You can make a nice day trip out of it and go to other attractions or shop in Myrtle Beach.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:16 AM

107 posts, read 215,255 times
La Finca's in Swansboro

Camino Real' in Richlands id FANTASTIC...

El Zarapes' in Emerald Isle is a favorite...

El Zarapes' next to Gold's Gym in Morehead City has good food, and the BEST interior setting of any Mexican joint I have ever seen around here...Very Upscale and prices are good...

Old 02-16-2011, 11:25 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,229,736 times
if you want fresh mexican, without all that cheesy refried sick, i would recommend Flaming Amy's Burrito Barn in Wilmington, or maybe Tower 7 in Wrightsville Beach if you want to spend more.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:48 AM

160 posts, read 699,936 times
If you are looking for authentic mexican food in Wilmington there are only four options:

El Agave
El Cerro Grande
La Costa
La Plaza Mariachi

Those are the only places where you can get freshly made chips, salsa verde, real queso blanco and the entire staff speaks better Spanish than English. Tower 7, K-38 Baja Grill and Flaming Amy's have good food but they are not authentic Mexican restaurants.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:07 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,229,736 times
eh.. i don't know about that. i don't think either style is "authentic," any more than Chinese food here is the authentic food of the Chinese, or Sbarro is authentic Italian.

i did find an "authentic" one a while back on Carolina Beach Road, called La Fondita, but it closed down about a year ago. I walked in, the door was plastered with spanish-language local events; literally every customer was hispanic, and speaking spanish; everything on the menu was written in spanish; the people who worked there didn't speak a word of english, and i had to make hand motions to describe what i wanted. No nachos, no burritos, no chips and queso dip -- the lady just handed me a few tacos with shredded beef, lettuce, cilantro, tomatoes, and a lime.

Last edited by le roi; 02-16-2011 at 12:36 PM..

Old 02-16-2011, 01:44 PM

160 posts, read 699,936 times
La Fondita = diner food. The mexican version of Whiteys. I don't think that is what the OP had in mind.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:21 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,753,876 times
Why don't you try bar-b-que. Or Seafood. That is what we do best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina