U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 12:22 PM

240 posts, read 560,807 times

Advertisements

All, I am taking my wife on a quick getaway this weekend. We are staying Friday and Saturday nights at the Sunspree in Wrightsville. I have only spent a night here and there in Wrightsville on business but I have never had a chance to catch the sights, per se. This will be my wife's first trip to Wilmington/Wrightsville. What should we do while we are there? I know walking on the riverfront in Wilmington is a must. Where are some cool shops we could walk by? Where should we grab dinner Saturday night? I'm thinking I want to stay under $100 for that dinner but it could be $80-$100. What is there to do in Southport? Should we plan on visiting there half of the day on Saturday or going there for dinner Saturday night? Any ideas or tips are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 01:49 PM

101 posts, read 199,272 times
Oceanic on Wrightsville has great food. Elijah's on the riverfront in Wilmington is good, the Carolina bucket, its a bucket full of streamed seafood, that and a beer and we personally are set. It is messy. We enjoy just walking around on the riverfront, not so much in need of things to do.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:40 AM

551 posts, read 1,699,897 times
There is a nice view at Bridge Tender, just over the bridge from Wrightsville Beach. Just in Wrightsville Beach, on other side of the bridge is Bluewater Grill, nice view of intracoastal also. No view, but good food, South Beach Grill in WB. For Breakfast or Brunch Sweet & Savory, just off of Eastwood on Wilmington side of the bridge is good. On the Water George has a pretty good Sunday Brunch and nice river view.. Hope this helps, and have fun!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:47 AM

Thanks!!!!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:08 AM

1,977 posts, read 2,638,091 times
negative on the Oceanic, imo very ordinary bar food.

I would not use your short time here on driving to Southport,no offense to Southport
but why drive that far when all you need is right here?

I would go south towards Fort Fisher , park at the public parking lot
and walk the beach, if you have a four wheel drive I would buy a daypass
and drive the 4-5 miles into the wilderness [ well as much as one can be wild around here]
there is a great state park on cape fear river, in Carolina Beach, has some great trails.

there are also bird watching tours on the north end of Wrigthsville beach,
don't really know if this is what you are after.

great restaurants in the Mayfair area of Wrightsville , sushi at The Bento Box
thai at Big Thai 2,
great bar , great martinis at the Osteria Cechetti , decent italian food there , my favorite pizza's also at
this restaurant.

nice shops downtown towards the river front, gallery's , clothing etc.
just start walking and you will find them.

have a great time , wheather should be faboulus.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:18 AM

Thanks, I have heard similar things about Oceanic. I was told to hit the Bridge Tender or Bluewater instead. I know it's a dumb question but what's the easiest way to get to the Riverfront?

Old 02-17-2011, 01:08 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,189,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post

I would not use your short time here on driving to Southport,no offense to Southport
but why drive that far when all you need is right here?

I would go south towards Fort Fisher , park at the public parking lot
and walk the beach, if you have a four wheel drive I would buy a daypass
and drive the 4-5 miles into the wilderness [ well as much as one can be wild around here]
I agree about not going to Southport if you're pushed for time. BUT if you're going to go to Fort Fisher, I would take the ferry over to Southport (A 35min ride). Then you can do the Southport stuff and drive back up River Road to Wilmington. Make a big loop.

http://www.ncdot.org/download/transi...ryschedule.pdf

Old 02-17-2011, 01:37 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,236,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraunch View Post
Thanks, I have heard similar things about Oceanic. I was told to hit the Bridge Tender or Bluewater instead. I know it's a dumb question but what's the easiest way to get to the Riverfront?
To get to the Riverfront from Wrightsville --

just head down Eastwood Rd, and follow the signs to downtown. Eastwood will become MLK, MLK will become 3rd Street.

oceanic, bridge tender and bluewater are all basically the same thing in my eyes. if you get fresh local fish, it will be good, just like anywhere in this area. if you get anything that involves more complicated preparation -- like shrimp and grits or she crab soup, two south carolina specialties -- then they really struggle.

Wilmington has excellent food, but these old tourist places -- Oceanic, Bluewater, Elijah's, Pilot House -- are places I would go for the atmosphere, not the food. People who have vacationed here for years seem to love them, though. The best food I've found: the basics, dixie grill, sweet & savory, 22 north, bento box, 19 hundred, indochine. Chop's Deli (downtown) is a new place that people say is unbelievable, but I haven't tried it.

Last edited by le roi; 02-17-2011 at 02:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina