U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2007, 06:26 AM

2 posts, read 11,376 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the replies -- update: I could not make it to the Boston information meeting, but I did get several pics of the development - totally in progress. Have sent a "missed the meeting please send more info" but no reply... If anyone wants the pics, let me know your email and I will forward.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 11:40 AM

9 posts, read 33,964 times
Default Cannonsgate

I work at Cannonsgate in the information office and want to give you guys some info about the area and what I've seen living here.

The road our community is on, Highway 24 is a five lane road, however the traffic isn't nearly what you see in a larger city. The North side of the road is alongside the Croatan National Forest and provides wonderful nature views and a country feel from Cape Carteret to Morehead City (11 miles) Our property is tucked away. Four miles north of Cape Carteret, and around a curve, there's the entrance of Cannonsgate. We're on the ICW and from our marina to the ocean is about a 20 minute boat ride.

Anywhere close to the water on the eastern seaboard is subject to hurricanes. That's why we build our houses on pilings and have shutters or other window coverings to protect our homes. I've sat through many hurricanes. There's a lot of wind and rain and in a day or so it's over and we're back to sunbathing on the beach. Every once in a while we'll have to evacuate, pack up the family and drive inland for a few days. I'm not saying that hurricanes aren't dangerous and that you shouldn't be concerned, however everyone living on the coast knows about them and prepares for the worst (construction/insurance)

If you want to learn about the schools here, visit PSK12 Public School Rankings. It will tell you everything from student/teacher ratios to overal subject scores.
Look at the schools for Carteret County. Our high school is Croatan High. It is about 3 miles from here and is located on the ICW. Those kids are lucky to go to school and look at the water all day!

Well, that's my two cents worth! I hope I helped with some of the concerns.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:17 PM

1,676 posts, read 5,361,785 times
I live and own a real estate agency in Morehead City. YTD average price of a sold home here is $282K-Down 2% from the prior year. The YTD price for a home in Newport (Just 5 minutes away) is $196K.
The most expensive city in North Carolina is Wilmington, with a population roughly 10 times that of Morehead City.
Morehead City is in Carteret County-Which is over 1000 square miles-Half of which is water and with 82 miles of ocean beaches.
Cannons Gate is an upscale and pricey development in the works.
Some of the best waterfront subdivisions in terms of price are off of HWY. 24.
By the way-Almost all of the western side of the county have a "Newport" address although no actually in Newport. For example-Hwy.24 has a Newport address and HWY 24 doesn't go thru that town.
I've lived in Morehead City for the past 25 years and it always intriques me to hear folks talk about hurricanes and how they affect the area- Rarely accurate.
Bill

Old 05-31-2007, 04:07 PM

88 posts, read 291,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varcj View Post
I am interested in relocating to the Crystal Coast area. I currently live in Northeast Ohio, and I am getting pretty tired of the snow. Our economy is horrible as well. I was curious about the Crystal Coast area. Especially about the school system in Newport. How is the economy? Are houses selling? How is the unemployment rate? Is there a lot of opportunity. I am currently in Home Improvement Sales, and I am looking to start or purchase a business.
Any input would be greatly appreciated
Hi, I was born in Morehead City and know the area quite well. The economy in the area unfortunately is not very good. There are no big employers in the area besides the Cherry Point AFB. In terms of real estate though the area is booming. Many individuals are retiring in the area and it is a great quiet place to live if you enjoy the water and the activities it provides. Property values have been climbing rapidly in recent years. The area is extremely southern though and hasn't really changed much over the years. It isn't very ethnically diverse. If you visit the area make sure you check out the beaches Atlantic Beach, Emerald Isle. Also make sure you check out Beaufort, and east of Beaufort down Highway 70. There are so many beautiful areas down there. Here are some photo albums which contain pictures of the scenery in these areas:
Photos of Historic Beaufort NC, Morehead City and Down East Carteret County
Beaufort Photos by James Piver (http://www.beaufortrus.com/scenes.htm - broken link)

Old 05-31-2007, 04:34 PM

713 posts, read 3,475,323 times
We live in western Carteret County not very far from Cannonsgate. I have driven in there and it is an impressive development with a marina. It is very big and some of the lots are a long way from the main road.

The last time I checked they were still finishing up the streets and landscaping. I haven't heard of any homes being started there yet. They have a great tower near the marina where you can get a wonderful view though I think they might be keeping the gate closed now.

Cannonsgate has been heavily promoted in major metro areas.

To help everyone see what it looks like I just uploaded some photos to my Picasa web album.

The photos were taken April 1.

There are lots of developments in the area so there are plenty of choices.

My wife and I moved to the Cape Carteret area last September and love it. We live back in the country a little off the main drags. The climate is fantastic. We only used our small gas fireplace for a few minutes in the morning most days except for a few cold ones in February.

We have hardly used our air conditioning in May. We've been able to sleep with the windows open almost every night.

We actually live on the western boundary of Carteret County on the White Oak River.

As to flooding, that is highly variable depending on lot location.

If you want a primer on flood zones, I suggest you go to FloodSmart.gov and read about the different types of zones.

Our house is in a flood zone but we are five to six miles from the beaches so we aren't in one of the special wind hazard zones.

We are on the water, hence the floodzone, but most of the homes in our subdivision are not in a floodzone.

While we haven't lived through a major hurricane, many of the folks who have tell us the biggest problem is that if you leave the area and the storm causes significant inland flooding, it can be a challenge getting back.

As we also have a home in Roanoke, VA, I can vouch for the severity and danger of mountain flooding which often comes without a lot of warning.

We like the Cape Carteret-Cedar Point-Emerald Isle area a lot or we wouldn't have bought a home here.

We have lots of retirees in the area and plenty of folks like myself who have scaled back from a corporate existence. Most people are attracted by the low property taxes. Ours are one quarter of what they are on a similarly priced home in Roanoke, Va which is not noted as a high tax area.

So far no month has been too cold for a bike ride, and I like being able to go kayaking when I want. We're getting a skiff soon so I should have some additional water pictures soon. There are some great trails in the area.

It is also pretty neat going for a walk on the beach on a whim. I snapped this picture last night on a beach walk in Emerald Isle (http://coastalnc.org/nicetowalkonthebeach - broken link).

I consider myself something of an evangelist for the area since living here is a dream come true. I have taken the trouble to create a website on the area which has no advertising so should be okay for city-data viewing.

If you like living where you can enjoy the outdoors, come on down.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:49 PM

Some of my favorite pictures of Carteret County CLICK HERE (http://www.scotttaylorphoto.com/coastalwaters/index.htm - broken link)

Old 08-30-2007, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 6,920 times
LeeCheo,

I've been hearing a lot about cannons gate and I would like to see some pics. Could you please send the pictures to klgriffith10@msn.com. I would greatly appreciate it. You could also check out cannonsgate.com if you haven't already.

Griff10

Old 08-31-2007, 08:30 AM

1 posts, read 6,913 times
Default Newport NC

I was born and raised here at the Crystal Coast in NC. I have three children that all attend schools in the Newport district.

They all attended Bogue Sound Elementary School (http://www.carteretcountyschools.org/bse/), two are attending Broad Creek Middle School (http://www.carteretcountyschools.org/bcms/) and will in a couple of years attend Croatan High School (http://www.carteretcountyschools.org/chs/).

In order to attend these schools you will have to be located in certain areas of the Newport zipcode. The other schools for the Newport zipcode are Newport Elementary School (http://www.carteretcountyschools.org/nes/), Newport Middle School (http://www.carteretcountyschools.org/nms/) and West Carteret High Scool (http://www.carteretcountyschools.org/wchs/).

My personal opinon is that the Bogue Sound, Broad Creek and Croatan schools are more advanced in technology and have better overall EOG scores.

I myself attended Newport Elementary (hated it) and Broad Creek (growing up it was the only school in the district) and was suppose to attend West Carteret and decided to attend a christian academy instead.

Wonderful place to raise children, weather is fairly good all year round (not to bad winters and not extremly hot summers), not alot of crime, beautiful scenary, just all around nice.

The homes in the area for 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 1200-1300 sq ft. run anywhere between $135,000 to 199,000 not on the water.

Moderator cut: realtor advertising

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 08-31-2007 at 02:51 PM..

Old 09-02-2007, 08:11 AM

713 posts, read 3,475,323 times
Smile Answers to some of your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeCheo View Post
Just joined and researching... got a flyer to come see a community called "CannonsGate" just below Mooreshead. Anyone heard of it?

And since I'm from the Northeast, high on the list of relocating worrries is hurricanes, although I seem to survive all the blizzards over the past 16 years ;-) Comments?

thanks for some of the info on schools, I have 9 and 11 year old girls and would be looking at "report cards" of middle/high schools

to clodhopper, a1m1700, and mhogan10010 -- thanks for the info provided!
varcj -- did you make a decision yet?
Cannonsgate is an expensive community that has roads and a marina but now much else at this point. It has been marketed extensively to people in large cities.

You are a few miles from the beaches since the only bridges are at Atlantic Beach and Emerald Isle.

There are plenty of other homes in the area on the market.

I recently did a post on hurricane risk that you might want to read if you are worried about them.

I have a number of sites about the area, you can start at this coastal site.

You might look at the western side of Carteret County near Emerald Isle.

It has a lot of nice towns.

I'm always glad to answer questions about the area. We've been here a year but are native North Carolinians and have been coming to the area for 50 years plus.

-David Sobotta

Last edited by dsobotta; 09-02-2007 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: wrong link

Old 09-03-2007, 03:59 PM

Cannonsgate-I said it was pricey!!
I do not have any listings out there so I checked the MLS. The most expensive lot is listed for $995K-It's a second row lot at 0.12 of an acre.
The cheapest lot out there is listed at $179K and is 0.18 of an acre.
From a cursory look-It appears that lot sizes average around 0.20 of an acre with the average price around $400K per lot.
Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina