U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 09:47 PM

895 posts, read 1,332,280 times

Advertisements

Looking for some input on housing in some of the older bungalow-type neighborhoods in Wilmington. I've driven through several (Sunset Park/Carolina Heights/etc) but have recently stumbled on some other ones which have comments like "desirable Audabon area/Winter Park/etc" - I'm heading back to Wilmington in the next week or so to do some more exploring of the area and would like to get more info on these from those who know the area better than i do.

While I realize schools are always considered in purchases, in reality, I'm not looking at this as an investment so top scoring schools don't carry any weight for me. However, the cute little additional rental apts above garages on some house sites do add to considerations-always nice to have additional income, a possible site for family members to live or even a place for me to move into were I to decide I want even smaller digs. Mostly, I'm looking for a charming neighborhood that is safe; that is walkable and not a quaint island in a dangerous area. Proximity to grocery stores, parks etc is also great/old trees/sidewalks/all are good. Looking for a comfortable, interesting place to live. Can't spend a ton of money and am restricting myself to well under 200 thousand so that rules out a lot of places that I neither want to pay for nor keep up. I do see houses that fit that criteria in these neighborhoods but now I need some insight - what are these neighborhoods like?

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 08:04 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,225,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
Looking for some input on housing in some of the older bungalow-type neighborhoods in Wilmington. I've driven through several (Sunset Park/Carolina Heights/etc) but have recently stumbled on some other ones which have comments like "desirable Audabon area/Winter Park/etc" - I'm heading back to Wilmington in the next week or so to do some more exploring of the area and would like to get more info on these from those who know the area better than i do.

While I realize schools are always considered in purchases, in reality, I'm not looking at this as an investment so top scoring schools don't carry any weight for me. However, the cute little additional rental apts above garages on some house sites do add to considerations-always nice to have additional income, a possible site for family members to live or even a place for me to move into were I to decide I want even smaller digs. Mostly, I'm looking for a charming neighborhood that is safe; that is walkable and not a quaint island in a dangerous area. Proximity to grocery stores, parks etc is also great/old trees/sidewalks/all are good. Looking for a comfortable, interesting place to live. Can't spend a ton of money and am restricting myself to well under 200 thousand so that rules out a lot of places that I neither want to pay for nor keep up. I do see houses that fit that criteria in these neighborhoods but now I need some insight - what are these neighborhoods like?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

i'm a prospective buyer (sort of) in those same neighborhoods. i have had my eye on those areas, as well as others, for a few years.

the answers to your question are different for each neighborhood. Audubon is not Carolina Place, which is not Winter Park, etc... some of these are zoned for good schools, some are worse. Some are next to trailer parks and sketchy apartment complexes, others are not. These houses can be built in any year, of any quality, any style, and be in any sort of condition, and one side of a neighborhood can be much better than something a block or two over, due to traffic or ghetto. It is not simple to compare apples to apples with any two houses.

One thing you'll notice is that a lot of the folks who have lived in these neighborhoods for years and years are poor or lower income, and could likely not afford to buy their own house, were it on the market today.

But -- some observations -- Carolina Heights has huge, beautiful, expensive to maintain homes that are too close to the housing projects for my taste. Carolina Place is similar, but teeny-tiny houses, teeny-tiny lots, with a wide variance between bargains ($130k-$175k) and ripoffs ($200k - $350k), but it (I think) is zoned for non-downtown schools which is a huge plus. Both are good for the "cutesy" type of buyer who doesn't mind living abutted against the projects, in an area that is crowded but not particularly walkable. Audubon and Winter Park are smarter, more practical choices in my opinion.. with a rustic feel.. but Winter Park had some bubble fever. I see houses still listed for $200+ per square foot, which is madness for what you're buying.

Last edited by le roi; 02-21-2011 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or