Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:35 PM

3 posts, read 6,111 times

Advertisements

Hello-

My husband and I are considering a move from Stillwater, MN to Wilmington or other areas in NC. We are in our early 30s with a one year old daughter. Basically, we hope to find a place where we can regularly access the beach, the housing isn't outrageously priced, and we can make a nice life for our family.

I don't think we would leave MN, except for the fact that we can no longer tolerate the winters here. We hope to eventually be self- sufficient with our own business and are comfortable with " making due" in the interim. We obviously want a place where our daughter can be safe and attend good schools.

My major concern is the racism in the South. My husband and I are a mixed-race couple and I want to make sure that we won't feel totally out of place. I am originally from Ohio (born to mixed race parents) and have lived in Minnesota for many years. My husband is also from WI. Needless to say, I have obviously dealt with my share of stares/under the breath comments (not that any of these places are bad- just lacking the diversity of say NYC, LA, etc)

I appreciate your honest opinions. This is a big life decision and we want to be as informed as possible. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 03:52 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,661,934 times
in one of the larger towns (wilmington, greenville, jacksonville) youd be just fine.

even out in the country, few people really care anymore.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:16 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,754,557 times
Most of the places directly on the coast are tourist towns, with very seasonal populations. Wilmington is the largest "city" on the NC coast but not really a "city". There is a university there so it is more liberal. Jacksonville (or somewhere nearby) might be your best bet, as it is a military town with a diverse and transient population. Of course, you may not want to live in a military town.

You might also look just across the borders in both directions, to the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area of Virginia, which is a real city (and also quite transient), and to Myrtle Beach, SC, which also is larger than anything in NC and thus would presumably have less of a "small-town" mentality. However, until you've actually been here, don't presume that racism in the South is what it's been portrayed in the media. It's generally not a big issue most of the time (though I am white so admittedly I am ignorant of the subtleties of racism).

Here are links to general demographic profiles of the cities of NC; look into Wilmington and Jacksonville (And Greenville, if you want to go a lot further inland).

Old 02-22-2011, 08:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,111 times
Thank you for your responses. I'm curious since I've been reading that there are a lot of retirees in the area...are there neighborhoods in Wilmington that are known for having young families?

Old 02-25-2011, 11:20 PM

5 posts, read 13,448 times
Default Hampstead?

I am also moving to Wilmington from Wisconsin. Mostly because of the winters. I have lived here most of my life, except for a few years in Florida (which I loved!), when my hubby was in the Navy. I have friends in Stillwater too.

I have been searching for info on the neighborhoods and schools, as I have 2 younger children also. I was just recently told about Hampstead, which is just north of Wilmington. May want to check that out.

Hopefully someone will give us some good info!

Best of luck to you!

Old 02-26-2011, 05:42 AM

291 posts, read 867,309 times
Yes, definitely look at Hampstead -
Lots of families here - the Kiwanis Park is full every weekend with kids playing soccer and baseball and playing on the playground....
Hampstead has nice access to the Topsail Island beaches.
More amenities are being built in Surf City such as a new Harris Teeter grocery and an entertainment center which will have movie theatres.
It is a lovely area for a family - you can search this forum for further info.
Good luck to you in your moves.....I lived in Wisconsin for one winter, and while the people there are wonderful, I couldn't get away from that snow fast enough! Just not a fan of snow! We have enough in NC to enjoy and then let it melt and move on - my daffodils are starting to bloom!

Old 02-26-2011, 07:06 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,684,303 times
I have done a lot of business in Minnesota in my past life and there will be a significant cultural shock for you coming to NC.

Not really speaking about REDNECKS and certainly not about RACISM, but from my experience, NC and MINN are a lot different in just the way folks have learned to look at things. Not saying better or worse, but certainly different. Just a heads up, and welcome!

Old 02-27-2011, 11:29 AM

14 posts, read 20,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNesters View Post
Yes, definitely look at Hampstead -
Lots of families here - the Kiwanis Park is full every weekend with kids playing soccer and baseball and playing on the playground....
Hampstead has nice access to the Topsail Island beaches.
More amenities are being built in Surf City such as a new Harris Teeter grocery and an entertainment center which will have movie theatres.
It is a lovely area for a family - you can search this forum for further info.
Good luck to you in your moves.....I lived in Wisconsin for one winter, and while the people there are wonderful, I couldn't get away from that snow fast enough! Just not a fan of snow! We have enough in NC to enjoy and then let it melt and move on - my daffodils are starting to bloom!

About Topsail schools... I have been trying/hoping to get info on the elementary schools - are they all relatively the same (all good) or does one have a better reputation than the others? We will be in the Hampstead area next month to look around and I like areas in all 3 ES

Old 02-27-2011, 02:46 PM

107 posts, read 256,085 times
I was told Topsail High right on Hwy 17 was a fantastic school...I was told it had very good academics...

Old 02-27-2011, 02:48 PM

107 posts, read 256,085 times
You can go to the NC school report card site and look up the academics of all three elementaries..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina