Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2006, 12:41 AM

22 posts, read 60,287 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about Shallotte?! Good, Bad and Ugly... it doesn't matter much to me... I'm looking at moving there instead of Wilmington because of the cost of living. I'm 21 and will have just graduated college, would it be a smart move to call Shallotte home?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2006, 06:47 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,432 times
I remember as a kid the family going to Holden Beach. Shallotte was the main town in the area for groceries, gas, laundromat, etc.
It's pretty isolated and not hardly anything to do there, unless you count hanging out at Hardee's or McDonalds. It's a decent proximity to the beach, so that's something I guess. But I imagine most 21 year olds will be bored senseless there.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:49 AM

22 posts, read 60,287 times
I live in a town like that now... and it's ok because the cost of living is incredibly reasonable. My concern is more whether or not it will be safe or has it been taken over by crime. Shallotte is about 35 minutes from Wilmington, which is a pretty decent commute in my opinion. But it's not worth it if the crime is high and unmanagable.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:05 AM

Don't know anything about crime...didn't think it had a population high enough to even have crime.
Oh, I think it's more than 35 minutes to Wilmington. 45 is more like it, from what I can remember. Even more during tourist season with all the people moving to and from the beaches. US17 is multi-laned, but it's not a high-speed freeway. 55mph tops.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:38 AM

958 posts, read 2,620,837 times
I lived in Wilmington for five years. I guess I would be concerned about job availability in Wilmington itself, it's great for service related and tourism jobs, but not a lot of entry level jobs for college grads.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 10,284 times
These buildings are going to be f'n amazing! I am so glad to be living in Charlotte where the powers that be can make this porfolio of project happen.

AACC

Bechtler

SOome new condo towers

Charlotte Building a light rail system
Twelve hotels/condos will be 40 stories
Wachovia Is going to have the largest office space in uptown
Largest AACC in the south

Trade mark

Last edited by Yac; 08-25-2006 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: links removed (copyrights)

Old 08-25-2006, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_queens View Post
These buildings are going to be f'n amazing! I am so glad to be living in Charlotte where the powers that be can make this porfolio of project happen.
Um....this post was about Shallotte...not Charlotte.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:02 AM

3 posts, read 10,284 times
oops,well ....now you know about charlotte
Soon to be City of the south

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Um....this post was about Shallotte...not Charlotte.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:09 AM

5 posts, read 9,538 times
Default would like to know the same

my wife and i wount to move to shallotte also but we both are in are fiftys and on a fixed income and know health insur.we want to rent we been on line looking at cardinal point and birch pon apartments so if anyone one could help the both of us that would be great thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina