U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,530 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My family and I are looking at purchasing a business in the Outer Banks. We are from Pennsylvania so this will require a move South for us. We have vacationed in OBX before and as a vacation area it seems great, of course living and vacationing are two different things.
We are looking to be in a rural area on the mainland but close enough to OBX to drive there everyday for business. We have 4 children so a place with old large homes (old farmhouses) would be preferred. My children are homeschooled here in Pa so schools are not important as we will continue to homeschool in NC. In looking at neighborhoods it seems as if Elizabeth city and Columbia are rural and close enough to OBX to drive there a lot. Does anyone have any other opinions.
One more question seems like posts on this board talk a lot about northeners feeling unwelcome in this area. Is that true. We are a keep-to-yourself kinda family so I doubt that would be much of a problem there, but it would be hard to run a business if employees and customers were put off by our "northern" accent. Any help you have would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 09:15 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,360,577 times
One more question seems like posts on this board talk a lot about northeners feeling unwelcome in this area. Is that true.
The "talk" is usually in response to a northerner inquiring on how southerners treat northerners. I do not ever recall a time when there was an unsolicited post on the matter. More clearly stated-I've never seen a thread started by Southerner about disliking "yankees". Not unless they are a BoSox fan of course!!

Old 02-23-2011, 09:52 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,641,309 times
Currituck and mainland Dare Co. are much closer and just as rural. You don't want to drive from Elizabeth City or Columbia to the beach every day, especially during Summer. The majority of people on the beach (and your customer base) are from up north, so your accent won't be an issue.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
One more question seems like posts on this board talk a lot about northeners feeling unwelcome in this area. Is that true.
Not unless they are a BoSox fan of course!!
Well we are Pittsburgh Pirate fans....I doubt anyone could feel anything but sorry for us in that regard

Old 02-24-2011, 04:20 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,046,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye5000 View Post
One more question seems like posts on this board talk a lot about northeners feeling unwelcome in this area. Is that true. We are a keep-to-yourself kinda family so I doubt that would be much of a problem there, but it would be hard to run a business if employees and customers were put off by our "northern" accent. Any help you have would be greatly appreciated.
That depends. I'm from MD and it's very debateable as to whether MD is a southern state or not. Anyway, it has been pointed out to me by some of the native NC residents that I'm not southern since I'm from north of Virginia. But people have only mentioned it after they found out that I'm not from NC. I don't believe that I speak with a southern accent and I've spoken with people from the deep north like Vermont and MN and they haven't detected a southern accent. I even have one British customer and she questioned whether I was from the south or not since she said my diction was too good to be a native.

Then I had a curious conversation the other day with the man that is buying my house. He's 42 years old and has spent his entire life here in the Greenville, NC area. We were talking and I mentioned that I was from MD. He looked at me kind of weird and said he would never have guessed that I wasn't from NC. I said "Why not? No accent?" He said it wasn't a lack of southern accent, it was that I didn't use the F word in every sentence. He said it was well known that a Yankee (I hate that term) uses the F word in every sentence and that was how you could tell that a person was a Yankee. He also said they were rude and "know it all's".

You should also know a little something about at least one term of langauge that is different here. You no longer have a shed to keep your tools in or a garage to keep your car in (unless it's attached to the house). Any structure that's on your property but is not attached to your house is called a barn.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:07 AM

3,323 posts, read 5,190,506 times
Mann's Harbor is fairly rural. Driving down 264, it is all rural until Washington (outside of pockets like Swan Quarter)

Old 02-24-2011, 04:44 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,641,309 times
You could also just live on the beach. There's plenty of large multi-bedroom houses and the real estate market is still overbuilt to the point houses are going for nearly a third under asking price in some places.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:00 AM

79 posts, read 275,057 times
You may want to check out mainland Currituck County.Point Harbor,Powells Point,Harbinger and Grandy are all within 15 miles from the beach and offer a more rural environment.

Don't worry about your norther accent.As long as you don't tell us "how you did it up north",you'll be fine!

Old 02-25-2011, 06:13 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,360,577 times
Don't worry about your norther accent.As long as you don't tell us "how you did it up north",you'll be fine!
That and the sense of humor you obviously have and you'll get along just fine!
Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina