Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 07:29 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times

Advertisements

Almost all of Europe can fit in half of the US. You can drive thru 2-5 countries in the time/distance it takes to drive across the state of North Carolina.
It should not come as a surprise to anyone that one US region is "different" from another or that each state is different from each other. Heck-North Carolina is composed of a bunch of "countries" all within the confines of its own border.
In Europe it only takes a short distance to be in a different culture, heritage, dialect/lanquage, way of life. Why be surprised with the same thing here in the US?
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 07:46 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Pretty interesting Bill, and you are right. Lots of cultures in one state...Heck in Charlotte-Meck, there are many very different cultures in one county!!!

Old 02-28-2011, 06:03 AM

698 posts, read 3,266,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Almost all of Europe can fit in half of the US. You can drive thru 2-5 countries in the time/distance it takes to drive across the state of North Carolina.
It should not come as a surprise to anyone that one US region is "different" from another or that each state is different from each other. Heck-North Carolina is composed of a bunch of "countries" all within the confines of its own border.
In Europe it only takes a short distance to be in a different culture, heritage, dialect/lanquage, way of life. Why be surprised with the same thing here in the US?
Bill
Excellent point!

Old 02-28-2011, 08:38 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Different from what? I know what you mean about Europe, but I don't see how North Carolina is different from Virginia or South Carolina, or California for that matter.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:22 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
This is of couse true, but I am puzzled by your title, "Why NC is so different", because pretty much EVERY state is diverse like this. It's not as is NC is the only one with many different "cultures" in our state borders. What are you saying NC is "so different" from?

Old 02-28-2011, 03:01 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Looking at all fof the States of the Union, based on my own personal travels, and seeing what a lot of non-native posters post here, I can see how NC would be different from most everyone else. True, every State had differnt cultures within it, but it can be pretty much be broken down into two or three groups for the most part. I think what makes NC so special is the "divesity" in culture, for lack of a better word. It shows in many different ways, just look at the number of different dialects in NC. I'm also not saying NC is the only place like this, but I believe it is one of the few. Like the OP said, I believe it has a lot to do with how NC is laid out(Eat-West), coupled with the age of the state. One of the states I belive has a myriad of difernt cultures, is Tennesee which is laid out the same way.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:37 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
I think this was a lot truer before television and certainly the internet. Much like how the printing press standardized written language modern telecommunications has done the same for regional dialects. The spread of corporate monoculture and suburban sprawl into formerly rural areas has also done a lot do destroy regional culture outside more isolated places.

I miss the days when you could tell where a band was from by their sound. Rap is about the only genre of music left which still values regional identity.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:06 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
I think this was a lot truer before television and certainly the internet. Much like how the printing press standardized written language modern telecommunications has done the same for regional dialects. The spread of corporate monoculture and suburban sprawl into formerly rural areas has also done a lot do destroy regional culture outside more isolated places.

I miss the days when you could tell where a band was from by their sound. Rap is about the only genre of music left which still values regional identity.
That's just it. Most of NC is still pretty isolated. Most communities in the state as a whole consist of people who are born live and die in t the same town and know nothing except what goes on in that town and wouldn't have it any other way. I come across them everyday in my travel across eastern and central NC. Granted it's no where like it used to be. You can't find many on Harker's Island speaking the Queen's English among the younger generation.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:40 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times
You can't find many on Harker's Island speaking the Queen's English among the younger generation.
A little sample from my slice of heaven. I've been a woodser for almost 30 years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgi9wYsR5fo

Old 03-01-2011, 09:39 AM

149 posts, read 596,187 times
Thanks Bill, that was very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina