U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-23-2007, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Clayton, NC
1,515 posts, read 6,440,445 times
Reputation: 656

Advertisements

I have some family coming in from South Dakota next week. The father is interested in touring an old aircraft carrier in North Carolina. Does anyone know of any???

I was thinking the USS Battleship at Wilmington, but to be honest with you, I have NO CLUE what it is.

Help? lol

Thanks ya'll!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2007, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns of NC
5,661 posts, read 24,668,076 times
Reputation: 3808
No carriers that I'm aware of, only the battleship memorial in Wilmington. The only aircraft carrier museum on the east coast I know of is the U.S.S. Intrepid in New York City, but it's closed to the public until the Fall of 2008.

USS North Carolina Battleship Memorial (http://www.battleshipnc.com/index.html - broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 07-23-2007 at 09:08 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2007, 09:19 PM
 
3,155 posts, read 9,786,721 times
Reputation: 2114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
I have some family coming in from South Dakota next week. The father is interested in touring an old aircraft carrier in North Carolina. Does anyone know of any???

I was thinking the USS Battleship at Wilmington, but to be honest with you, I have NO CLUE what it is.

Help? lol

Thanks ya'll!
The USS North Carolina is the battleship in Wilmington. It is a WWII battleship. After it was decommissioned it was slated to be turned into scrap metal but people around the state donated money to have it brought to NC and restored. While this is a battleship it does have 1 or 2 old WWII planes on the deck. I'm not sure if they were launched from the deck of the USS NC or if they were added later for historical purposes. ??

BTW, if you visit in the summer time it is VERY HOT. Yes they have some AC but you get inside all that metal and it's a little oppressive IMO. Go early in the AM to avoid the heat. But it gives you an appreciation for the conditions of sailors in WWII. I'm too claustrophobic... I would have NEVER made it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2007, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns of NC
5,661 posts, read 24,668,076 times
Reputation: 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
The USS North Carolina is the battleship in Wilmington. It is a WWII battleship. After it was decommissioned it was slated to be turned into scrap metal but people around the state donated money to have it brought to NC and restored. While this is a battleship it does have 1 or 2 old WWII planes on the deck. I'm not sure if they were launched from the deck of the USS NC or if they were added later for historical purposes. ??

BTW, if you visit in the summer time it is VERY HOT. Yes they have some AC but you get inside all that metal and it's a little oppressive IMO. Go early in the AM to avoid the heat. But it gives you an appreciation for the conditions of sailors in WWII. I'm too claustrophobic... I would have NEVER made it.
I still remember the fund raising effort to buy the battleship. In my elementary school they asked for a nickle from each kid and in return we were given an admission ticket to be used in the future. This was 47 years ago.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2007, 11:51 PM
 
120 posts, read 568,529 times
Reputation: 48
Default re

There used to be an aircraft carrier at Patriots Point in South Carolina which is around Charleston. USS Yorktown I think. If it's still there, it'd be your best bet and closest.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2007, 12:32 AM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns of NC
5,661 posts, read 24,668,076 times
Reputation: 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by awakenthesun22 View Post
There used to be an aircraft carrier at Patriots Point in South Carolina which is around Charleston. USS Yorktown I think. If it's still there, it'd be your best bet and closest.
You're right. I forgot about that one.

Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum - Charleston Harbor, SC
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2007, 04:32 AM
 
Location: Clayton, NC
1,515 posts, read 6,440,445 times
Reputation: 656
THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH everyone! You have been a big help!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2007, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Coastal North Carolina
90 posts, read 147,671 times
Reputation: 41
Patriot's Point is well worth the time and money. We visited there earlier this year. Plan on spending about 4 hours! Have fun.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2007, 04:12 PM
 
445 posts, read 1,688,591 times
Reputation: 197
In case that's too far away, I think there is a paratrooper museum near Ft. Bragg. I have not been but some friends went and thought it was great.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2007, 09:34 AM
 
10 posts, read 74,762 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrank2109 View Post
In case that's too far away, I think there is a paratrooper museum near Ft. Bragg. I have not been but some friends went and thought it was great.

There are two very good military museums in and around Fort Bragg... The paratroopers museum that is off base is better in my opinion... If you are going to the museum on base, don't pack alot of extra stuff in your car, because all cars (that don't have approved stickers) are search prior to entering the base.. takes about extra 10 minutes but worth the wait..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top