U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 02:49 PM

4 posts, read 5,608 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My husband and I are thinking about moving to the Greenville or Washington area. It seems like Greenville has more to offer than Washington, however I know that comes with negative factors. Is Greenville mainly students only? Would Washington be better for our family? (We have three boys during the summer ages 3, 4, and 8) I do not know anything about either city, but like to have different amenities and possibly summer camp for the kids...any help is much appreciated...including the places to stay away from Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 07:51 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,834,817 times
IMO, the best compromise for the amenities of Greenville and a family atmosphere is Winterville. Washington is nice as well, but may be too far removed for most, unless you are older or are already from a rural background. Washington is wonderful regardless, especially for the nature lover, country boy, naturalist.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:02 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,196,893 times
If you have three boys (assuming they're into sports), Greenville is a great place to come. Greenville has around 85k. ECU has around 28K. So it is a significant portion of the population. But I don't see it being a negative thing to have students in town. ECU is THE reason why it isn't a "Kinston".

Winterville has turned into the suburban town for Greenville. They literally bump into one another. Washington is nice. You're right on the Pamlico. But/and it is around a 20-30min drive (four lanes 55mph) to Greenville. Majority of your shopping/outing would probably happen in Greenville. But there are a lot of people who do just that.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:12 PM

151 posts, read 309,222 times
I think Greenville or Winterville would be a nice fit for you. There are more options for schools, sports etc.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:10 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,051,534 times
I would think that you'd really be better off in a place that is expanding and constantly trying to improve the quality of life for it's citizens. Since I've moved here 5 years ago there has been a lot of retail added to Greenville. The university, ECU, has been expanding all around and the medical community, as large if not a larger presence than ECU, has expanded greatly. A couple of weeks ago a financial records company, I forget the name, annouced a large expansion here. The federal government is looking for space downtown to move into.

Washington on the other hand struggles with almost everything. Outside of the condos they built on the waterfront there is little evidence that much else is going on there. UHS East, the non profit that runs Pitt County Memorial Hospital in Greenville, offered Beaufort County an opportunity to get out of their struggling money loosing hospital. Their county council almost blew the opportunity due to greed. They thought their rinky dink little hospital was worth way more money than UHS East was willing to pay. Fortunately smarter heads prevailed there and Beaufort County decided to take UHS East up on their offer.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:29 PM

4 posts, read 5,608 times
Thank you everyone for responding...since Greenville seems to be a good choice..what about places to live there? Is it easy to find a house? There are so many apartments and with three kids running around, I am sure my neighbors will not be happy. I have been looking on craigslist for a place..which again is overflowing with apartments and lord knows about the neighborhoods. It seems like Greenville would be the better place for us..I like having a variety of things to do, even though I like it quiet sometimes. Any summer camps or good day cares that you know of? Is there a YMCA?

Old 03-15-2011, 12:37 PM

451 posts, read 1,690,557 times
I have a house in Winterville to sell ya! Seriously, there are lots of homes on the market and the Greenville area is pretty affordable. If you want to rent, it becomes more difficult to find companies that specialize in rental properties...try Wainwright, maybe. Best thing to do is just ride around and look for signs if you can. I'd recommend Winterville as well (not just because I have a house for sale there). Winterville has good recreation parks nearby. Look at neighborhoods around Old Tar Road, Cooper Street, and Ange Street. Lots of young families.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:43 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,051,534 times
There are plenty of daycares in Greenville although the number of non denominational daycares is limited. My grand daughter goes to a non denom in Ayden. Ayden is a 3 minute ride down Old NC 11 from Winterville. There are summer camps in the area and there is apparently one in New Bern (45 mins from Greenville) that the rich people send their kids to.

Finding houses is pretty easy. Location really depends on your budget.

The closest YMCA in in Wilson. It's about a 45 minute ride from Greenville.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:21 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,196,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosmom2010 View Post
Thank you everyone for responding...since Greenville seems to be a good choice..what about places to live there? Is it easy to find a house? There are so many apartments and with three kids running around, I am sure my neighbors will not be happy. I have been looking on craigslist for a place..which again is overflowing with apartments and lord knows about the neighborhoods. It seems like Greenville would be the better place for us..I like having a variety of things to do, even though I like it quiet sometimes. Any summer camps or good day cares that you know of? Is there a YMCA?
Where will the job be? Greenville is a relatively compact city, but traffic can "suck" (depends on your definition of traffic suck). East Greenville around Brook Valley is nice. They are beginning to build a new park over there. Then you have Ironwoods or Rock Springs which is relatively near the Health Sciences campus. Other places as well, but I don't know where for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina