Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:32 PM

43 posts, read 147,748 times

Advertisements

..."scientists who study earthquakes and tsunamis say the most likely worst-case scenario for the Grand Strand would be a 9.0 quake in the Puerto Rico Trench, a 500-mile long undersea gash in the earth that lies southeast of us... If that were to happen, northeastern South Carolina would likely see a 6-foot tsunami within four to five hours."

Carolina Beach Today: Worst Case Scenario, Pleasure Island, NC Could See 6 Foot Tsunami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 02:33 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Would those be the same kind of "experts" that said the seawall at Fukushima would be high enough?

Old 03-16-2011, 05:55 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times
The omitted sentence before the above quote is, "The good news is that the odds of any sizable wave hitting our shores are slim."
This thread should be moved to the South Carolina forum because the article was written by a Myrtle Beach newspaper with the focus on the grand strand

Scientist: Myrtle Beach area tsunami likely not in the cards
Read more: Scientist: Myrtle Beach area tsunami likely not in the cards - Local - TheSunNews.com

Old 03-16-2011, 09:28 AM

955 posts, read 4,087,917 times
practically speaking, the worst case scenario is never the worst case. I sure do enjoy visiting North Carolina beaches, but I'm being very cautious about buying a retirement home anywhere near the shore for that very reason.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:44 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
You've got a better chance of hurricane damage along the east coast than any sunami. The prophets of doom and gloom love this kind of "publicity". Geesh !

Old 03-16-2011, 12:50 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Ok, but that leads me to my question - how safe is the coastal nuclear plant in Southport really, given what's going on in Japan right now? I really have no idea whether it is or it isn't (whether the US needs to look at safety more closely in general).

...but as I'm planning to move to Wilmington soon, it's on my mind at the moment...

What about the Southport plant is any safer than the one in Japan, I guess is what I'm wondering...anyone know?

Old 03-16-2011, 12:54 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
What about the Southport plant is any safer than the one in Japan, I guess is what I'm wondering...anyone know?
it isn't located on a known fault line.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:55 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBLiving View Post
..."scientists who study earthquakes and tsunamis say the most likely worst-case scenario for the Grand Strand would be a 9.0 quake in the Puerto Rico Trench, a 500-mile long undersea gash in the earth that lies southeast of us... If that were to happen, northeastern South Carolina would likely see a 6-foot tsunami within four to five hours."

Carolina Beach Today: Worst Case Scenario, Pleasure Island, NC Could See 6 Foot Tsunami
Very interesting that the writers of "Carolina Beach Today" use Carolina Beach and Myrtle Beach interchangably, despite the fact that they are in two different locations.

In any event -- having a 6 foot tsunami within 4 or 5 hours warning is very different from Japan, where they saw a 40-foot tsunami within an hour warning.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:22 PM

572 posts, read 1,610,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBLiving View Post

Ok dumb question. Isn't a six foot tsunami the extact same thing as a series of six foot waves? That happens dozens of times a year already when the wind is blowing above 25 knots from the northeast. Most of the coastal population refers to such conditions as "good surf". Leave it to a newspaper to scare the tourists with the word "tsunami".

Common sense has become an endangered species.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:37 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
Ok dumb question. Isn't a six foot tsunami the extact same thing as a series of six foot waves? That happens dozens of times a year already when the wind is blowing above 25 knots from the northeast. Most of the coastal population refers to such conditions as "good surf". Leave it to a newspaper to scare the tourists with the word "tsunami".

Common sense has become an endangered species.
It's different in that the power doesn't come from wind, it comes from the bottom. It's much more powerful because it's the full force of the water. So it just keeps going, and going, and going...

(I think...correct me if I'm wrong, someone)

But that's why before a tsunami you'll see the water empty out, which you wouldn't see with a series of 6-foot waves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina