U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 07:48 AM

8 posts, read 11,352 times

Advertisements

I am a single mother of two who would like to relocate to Wilmington, NC. My main concern is finding another job. Right now, I work in Marketing. I'm not sure because i would like to purchase a home for me and my boys in Wilmington, but I don't want to move down here just to find that I can't find a job.

Does anyone have any advice for me? What steps should I take to relocate? Find a job first or buy a home first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 07:50 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,252,516 times
i don't think it is possible to get a mortgage without a job. So, unless you have about $150,000 in cash laying around, i'd get a job first.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:09 AM

8 posts, read 11,352 times
^^^OK, I understand. Makes sense. I guess my question is...I would like to relocate to Wilmington, but I have never gone through the process before, so I am a dummy. I needed at least step one.

Does Wilmington have a good economy? Can I find a marketing job? I earn $62,000 a year now...can I expect to make comporable to that in NC?

Old 03-18-2011, 08:45 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,252,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans4reezy View Post
^^^OK, I understand. Makes sense. I guess my question is...I would like to relocate to Wilmington, but I have never gone through the process before, so I am a dummy. I needed at least step one.
I understand. I've done it a few times, without children, without debt, in a good economy, and each time I had a job lined up. Even with all that going for me , it was stressful and challenging.

Quote:
Does Wilmington have a good economy?
Depends on what you mean. There is a lot of wealth here, but overall the labor market is very poor. We have a few areas where you can find jobs - pharmaceuticals, nuclear, nursing, and low-wage tourism. We are saturated with business professionals, though. We pump out MBA's from the local university, who have nowhere to go. Business here is either entrepreneurial, or "who you know."

Once upon a time, Wilmington was a bargain, for both new residents and corporate employers. However, when I moved here in 2007, Wilmington had the highest cost of living in North or South Carolina. High real estate prices have made some people very wealthy, but they have priced this area out of competition with other markets, and stagnated this area's economic growth.

Quote:
Can I find a marketing job? I earn $62,000 a year now...can I expect to make comporable to that in NC?
I think that would be an extremely optimistic salary for a marketing position that would be rare to begin with, and probably very competitive with local applicants.

But... if you can find a $60k/year job, this is a fine place to live.

Last edited by le roi; 03-18-2011 at 08:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina