Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:40 AM

20 posts, read 57,452 times

Advertisements

Never lived in No. Virginia, but I have visited there. I am certain that I would rather live in Greenville, but that is just me. I would encourage a visit to Greenville prior to making your mind up though. If you have specific questions, ask away. You will get answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 06:30 AM

317 posts, read 825,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithuania View Post
haha, Pirate Fest was this weekend, and downtown functions from 11 PM to 2 AM...
Would you take your family for a walk downtown at 2 am?

Old 04-12-2011, 06:58 AM

228 posts, read 600,993 times
Um...NO! Nor would I walk downtown after dark...period. Nor would I visit any part of West Greenville after dark and I pray I don't have to wait at red lights too long in that area.

And, there are parts of Evans, 10th Street, 5th to First Streets that I won't visit after sun down...

Old 04-12-2011, 11:09 AM

451 posts, read 1,913,656 times
Quote:
Would you take your family for a walk downtown at 2 am?
No, and I wouldn't do that in most downtown areas no matter what city it's in.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:50 AM

20 posts, read 57,452 times
Quote:
No, and I wouldn't do that in most downtown areas no matter what city it's in.

Nor would I!

Old 04-13-2011, 03:40 PM

The town I grew up in was in Pennsylvania. We had one red light and did not get a McDonalds until my second year of high school. It was one of those towns where everyone knew each other and kids could walk to school alone and be safe. As a child I used to love walking alone at night through town...enjoying the sights, sounds, and peace of a quiet PA evening.

My sister and her family live in Maine in a town still exactly like that. There ARE places in this world...where crime is limited...where people are safe and FREE. If we can not walk at night where we live...on our own streets...then, we are not in fact free...

I do not accept that crime is a matter of course...and, it is criminal that we are not safe at night around here.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:02 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrugg View Post
Need some honest opinions and insights.
It would be easier for people to give insights if you would tell us more what kind of things you're looking for, what you don't care about, etc. What has put Greenville in your sights in the first place, for starters? What do you hope to find there that's not where you are? Then people can comment on whether you will in f act find what you seek.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
The town I grew up in was in Pennsylvania. We had one red light and did not get a McDonalds until my second year of high school. It was one of those towns where everyone knew each other and kids could walk to school alone and be safe. As a child I used to love walking alone at night through town...enjoying the sights, sounds, and peace of a quiet PA evening.

My sister and her family live in Maine in a town still exactly like that. There ARE places in this world...where crime is limited...where people are safe and FREE. If we can not walk at night where we live...on our own streets...then, we are not in fact free...
The "Mayberry" you describe unfortunately does not offer much opportunity for careers these days, now that small manufacturing has moved overseas. I agree, though, that it is ideal if you can find a job.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
The "Mayberry" you describe unfortunately does not offer much opportunity for careers these days, now that small manufacturing has moved overseas. I agree, though, that it is ideal if you can find a job.
Thankfully, not all manufacturing, etc has moved overseas. That town still has P&G in town, employing many. And, it has changed little since I left. But, it is in the North, in a low crime part of the country.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:29 AM

To clarify - I wasn't specifically referencing the towns you described, rather towns of that nature across the country. I apologize if that is the way it came across.

In NC specifically, loss of the textile industry has hurt many small towns, leading to higher unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina