U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 09:31 AM

4 posts, read 27,095 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I have been following this forum for a while now. My family and I are leaving to visit Oak Island and the surrounding area tonight (it will take us a while--we live in Missouri). I really want to relocate there, but have to wait for my daughter to graduate from college, which will be approx. 5 years from now (shes a senior in HS). But at any rate, I love to research the area around Oak Island, and even inland a bit to get ready. I had figured Oak Island and the surrounding areas to be low crime, but then when reading the local paper and the comments from people there, it concerned me that maybe I was mistaken. On these message boards, I've noticed people seem to like the outer banks area, but I really wanted to stay more to the south than that--I had originally looked in south carolina, but thought people were nicer in the north carolina region! At any rate, whats your take on the crime rate and meth usage and such around Oak Island area? Thanks bunches, I know it seems im a little ahead of myself, but I just cant help it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 12:28 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,139,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianejw View Post
Hello everyone. I have been following this forum for a while now. My family and I are leaving to visit Oak Island and the surrounding area tonight (it will take us a while--we live in Missouri). I really want to relocate there, but have to wait for my daughter to graduate from college, which will be approx. 5 years from now (shes a senior in HS). But at any rate, I love to research the area around Oak Island, and even inland a bit to get ready. I had figured Oak Island and the surrounding areas to be low crime, but then when reading the local paper and the comments from people there, it concerned me that maybe I was mistaken. On these message boards, I've noticed people seem to like the outer banks area, but I really wanted to stay more to the south than that--I had originally looked in south carolina, but thought people were nicer in the north carolina region! At any rate, whats your take on the crime rate and meth usage and such around Oak Island area? Thanks bunches, I know it seems im a little ahead of myself, but I just cant help it!!!

First off I need to tell you are never going to get away from drugs in area you live in. There always will be concerns about drugs every where you go. Anyhoo, I live on Oak Island for two years now. I have two children the ages 4 and 8 years old and never had any problems here. Everyone is friendly here and there are a lot to do for families. Oak Island Recreation has so much stuff to do for everyone. There are things for kids, Teen Center and Senior programs along with a exercise room. I would check out Southport, Boiliing Spring Lakes and Bolivia. Make sure to visit St. James it is a huge retirement communities. Like I said if you live on Oak Island there are lots of things to do. I hope you have a good trip. If you have any question please do not hestitate to private message me. It is funny though. You want to move here and yet I am moving to Missouri in a couple weeks due to my husband job.

Good Luck!

Old 07-27-2007, 02:50 PM

90 posts, read 147,678 times
Diane, what area of Missouri do you live in? We're in Southwest MO, Table Rock Lake area. Nice area, but we are also researching coastal NC, with hopes of moving there within the next few months. As you may have heard, there is a rumor that the 417 area code area of Missouri is the Meth capital...don't know if there's any validity to that and haven't personally known of anyone here that is a druggie. I have found that you can't believe most of what you hear. Anyway have fun dreaming and planning for your future. That's what we are doing too.

Kareybear, What area of Missouri are you moving to? We also used to live in the St. Louis area. Would you say that Oak Island is a good place to raise teenagers? Blessings on your move. Missouri people are usually friendly and courteous.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsgirl View Post
Diane, what area of Missouri do you live in? We're in Southwest MO, Table Rock Lake area. Nice area, but we are also researching coastal NC, with hopes of moving there within the next few months. As you may have heard, there is a rumor that the 417 area code area of Missouri is the Meth capital...don't know if there's any validity to that and haven't personally known of anyone here that is a druggie. I have found that you can't believe most of what you hear. Anyway have fun dreaming and planning for your future. That's what we are doing too.

Kareybear, What area of Missouri are you moving to? We also used to live in the St. Louis area. Would you say that Oak Island is a good place to raise teenagers? Blessings on your move. Missouri people are usually friendly and courteous.
I am moving to the Columbia area. Yes Oak Island is a great place for teenagers. Here on Oak Island we have a Teen Center for kids to hang out and do stuff together. It is a home away from home type center. They have all kind of activities to do here. Of course you have the beach, fishing,golfing,swim team GO MARLINS!, movie theatre, miniture golf, Park and Rec has all kinds of sports and activities. But unfortually the Middle and High School is not so great here. They are changing people around this year. I hope it gets better in the school system. It is slow pace town. You will have the usually crowd in the summer time due to the beach. But the crowded is not so unbearable on the beach because there is plenty of room. You won't believe how warm the water is here. Anyhoo what is unbearable is the traffic getting off and on the island in summer season but after that it isn't so bad. We do have a brand new store on the Island for grocery but I still get off the island for Walmart. I hope this help yah. Good Luck in finding a place to live in NC.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:21 PM

hey guys--i live in ozark missouri....i love it there, its an idyllic town, but when the kids are gone, i just kinda wanna start over somewhere, and ive picked coastal carolinas to go....i do know that 417 is meth capitol--it is true, unfortunately, i know since i know some cops....but i do understand drugs are everwhere, i just wanted as little of that stuff around as possible. thanks for the info on the area and good luck to both of ya'll on moving. it seems that oak island area is pretty reasonable on prices (as much as you can be reasonable around the coast) i just wonder about the insurance costs....

Old 08-01-2007, 07:05 AM

Quote:
hey guys--i live in ozark missouri....i love it there, its an idyllic town, but when the kids are gone, i just kinda wanna start over somewhere, and ive picked coastal carolinas to go....i do know that 417 is meth capitol--it is true, unfortunately, i know since i know some cops....but i do understand drugs are everwhere, i just wanted as little of that stuff around as possible. thanks for the info on the area and good luck to both of ya'll on moving. it seems that oak island area is pretty reasonable on prices (as much as you can be reasonable around the coast) i just wonder about the insurance costs....
Insurance costs????Please be specific and maybe I can help!

Old 08-03-2007, 07:32 AM

5 posts, read 34,530 times
Default Drug Problem

Drugs are everywhere and always will be. I have lived in the Oak Island /Southport Area for 10 years and have no plans to move any where else. compared to other cities I have lived in, there is no comparison of the amount of drugs seen. Oak Island/Southport would fall far behind most cities. I have three daughters and have no problem taking them any where. I have been a Real Estate Broker here for 3 of the 10 years I have been here. I have also been involved in Recreation, so I know the County pretty well.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:25 PM

thank you for that info cape fear coast guy...after we just visited, i'm more than ready to move there--i absolutely love it!
kareybear--im meaning the cost of housing insurance--i imagine it would be higher being so close to the coast...my husband tells me that according to weatherunderground, that area sees a hurricane every four years or so...

Old 11-06-2007, 08:28 AM

26 posts, read 206,300 times
There is definitely a drug problem here. And I'm talking the scary stuff, meth, heroine, ect...I have lived here almost 10 years. I am relocating soon because I don't want my son to be part of it. There are a lot of problem kids here. Directly because of their lack of good parents. It is easy not to see it immediately if you don't have teens or don't like going out to bars. I had a friend killed here in July by two 19 year olds looking for money to buy meth. The police care about drunk driving,there are license checks everywhere. They ignore the drugs and troubled kids. The largest percent of the high crime rate here is these kids, drugs and petty theft. (vandalizing and burglary of empty beach houses, stealing things out of new construction, ect...)

Old 11-12-2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:
thank you for that info cape fear coast guy...after we just visited, i'm more than ready to move there--i absolutely love it!
kareybear--im meaning the cost of housing insurance--i imagine it would be higher being so close to the coast...my husband tells me that according to weatherunderground, that area sees a hurricane every four years or so...
I am sorry I have been busy with move. Insurance was not high than I thought it would be. Yes you do need to get flood,wind and hail and fire insurance and if you want theft too. It really depends if your in the flood zone if you need insurance for that but personally I would get it. Please make sure you read and understand your coverage because if you remember Hurrican Katrina a lot of home owners didn't have the right coverage. For example Flood insurance can mean if it flooded from the ground and up and if your house flood by wind and hail and don't got that cover under Flood. It is very tricky how that works. Good Luck on your decision and move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina