U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2007, 10:46 AM

90 posts, read 147,762 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I was just curious which cell phone companies work best along the coast, esp. between Camp Lejeune & Cherry Point MCAS? Where I currently live, there are only 2 companies that work...Alltel & Cingular(AT&T). Just need to know if I need to switch carriers? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 10:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,627,554 times
check the coverage maps with those two companies and it will show you what is in range. I have verizon and have yet to find a place in this state that I do not have coverage I had some weak signals in foothill in the valleys but that about it. there alot more options in NC for cell phone companies.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:37 PM

Thanks Sunny Kayak. Are you happy with Verizon by the way?

Old 07-28-2007, 05:48 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,627,554 times
I been with them for 4 years free new 100 dollar phone every two years which is great since that life span of most cell phone batteries.

I think they still use analog for rough areas. I dont ever remember having a call drop just a few times muffle in valley of the foothills. It has been awhile since I have driven down towards that part of NC where you are heading but it very flat so a signal shouldnt face any obstacles.

During Storms my coverage is weak but im sure that same with all carriers due to low cloud ceiling.
I actually had great signal on the outer banks which impress me because I dont remember seeing a cell tower down there.

I have the national plan so no roaming or long distance charges. I love that feature when I was in San Jose. free airtime to other verizon customers.

My brother uses Suncom it seems to be upcoming company but I head to mountains often and their coverage map looks weak there.

It a sub company off of AT&T so it will carry it signal on their towers. They offer decent prices but I love the free phone I get.

Only complaint I have and it is my fault for causing it is I get 2 junk text message emails a day due to I posted my phone email address on some site I cant remember where it was. I learn only use that for people I know. If you go with them it your phone number @ vtext .com

glad to help.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:53 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,352,672 times
We have verizon as well and for some reason the signal is very weak up around Castle Hayne near where 133 crosses I 140. I know that cause that where dh works and it drains his phone like crazy. He will leave here with a fully charged phone and come home with an almost dead one. If he's home on the weekends (in Leland) he can go the entire weekend on the same charge.

For that reason, we are looking into switching when our contract is up. Liz

Old 07-29-2007, 10:13 PM

505 posts, read 2,314,869 times
I would go with alltel for most areas in eastern NC.

When I lived over there....back in the mid 90's....I had alltel, which was called 360 communications. I never had any problems. (I drove all over Pamlico, Craven, Jones, and Onslow with my job) Alltel bought out 360 and I still had great service.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:07 PM

Thanks everyone!

Good imput. I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina