Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 09:49 PM

249 posts, read 511,356 times

Advertisements

....your thoughts?

Seems these are the best properties along the rt 211 belt. Just want to hear opinions about each and what people have to say.

I'll say that both are top shelf but, both bring differences to the table.

/Discuss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 12:37 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,386,443 times
I have looked and golfed at both. WR has 27 good holes of golf and SJP has 81 better holes. Both upscale and well laid out but SJP has more "stuff" in place. WR is closer to RT 17 but there is nothing on RT 17 in that area. SJP has Walmart etc and Southport nearby. Marina and proximity to the beach has SJP winning that battle also. WR appears to be more "managable" in size. In a class with Ocean Ridge but head to head I think SJP wins.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:15 PM

249 posts, read 511,356 times
Caco54, thanks for your opinion. That's what I want to hear.

Anyone else care to chime in ?

Old 04-04-2011, 08:41 AM

805 posts, read 1,994,236 times
Ok, since you asked, let me take a stab at some of the differences:

WR -----------------------------------SJP
POA $1,200 ------------------------POA $750
27 Holes Golf -----------------------81 Holes Golf
Golf Initiation $6,000 ---------------Golf Initiation $15,000
w/ levels of membership -------------w/ levels of membership
Beach pool + 1 Other Pool ----------Beach Pool + 6 Other Pools
1 Golf Club w/ Bar/Grill --------------4 Clubs w/Dining+Tommy Thompsons

SJP has a manned front gate, WR has a main highway that runs through the plantation with individual key carded gates to each of the WR neighborhoods.

WR "marina" is a 10 slip "launching facility" with rest rooms with no ownership of slips available, SJP marina is huge, has owned boat slips, with a boat storage building, with a staff / dockmaster, shops and Tommy Thompsons restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner, Tiki Bar and entertainment on the dock.

SJP has just finished a huge community center outside the main gate for functions of all kinds.

SJP has two separate "Dog Run" facilities. SJP has the lakefront "amphitheater" for concerts and different functions.

As others have said, they are both nice places and have produced as promised..... and they both have very similar price structures for lots and homes..... but each offers different levels of amenities.

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 04-04-2011 at 09:29 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 10:51 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,386,443 times
It must be said the WR is a much smaller community and the amenities may be in correct proportion to the population size when compared to SJP.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:57 AM

805 posts, read 1,994,236 times
That is a valid point..... to a degree. When I consider that the lots and homes are in the same general price range and that the basic difference in the fee structure is $9K in the initiation fee..... there is ( IMHO ) a much better value at SJP..... however as everyone has said, WR is still a very nice place.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:39 PM

3 posts, read 13,639 times
you need to compare the annual costs for the amenities. SJP is higher. If you play golf, you almost have to play there which is very expensive. In WR it is easier to drive down RT17 for courses in Calabash . Both communities very nice, SJP probably costs more

Old 05-30-2012, 06:01 AM

3 posts, read 16,606 times
It is all about personal choice. St. James is a small city with town-like living. Winding River is more of a small country village with a layed back flair.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:21 PM

605 posts, read 1,248,699 times
Smile to Winding River Beach Bum

I'm glad I found someone who lives in Winding River! We are planning a trip there next month as this is one of the plantations we have not seen yet (we have seen Ocean Ridge, Brunswick Forest, St. james) and now feel we need to see others. Can you tell me if there is a 'social fee' like the SJP fee of $15,000 and how are the social clubs in WR? We are in our late 50's and want to get a lot soon. Move in about five years to build. I am sure in five years more stores will be going up in the area. Have you clocked how long it takes to go from WR to Target in Myrtle Beach? What other social activities do yu enjoy at WR? Are the financials sound? Here is my email: njdouka at comcast.net

thank you.

missynancy

Old 11-04-2012, 10:45 AM

13,323 posts, read 26,782,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
Can you tell me if there is a 'social fee' like the SJP fee of $15,000 and how are the social clubs in WR?
I think you should send a private message to Winding River Beach Bum, or wait to ask a realtor when you are looking around. I suspect that a "social fee" is misnomer and it should be though of as an "initiation fee". Stoney said their was a $6,000 initiation fee for the golf club at Winding River, but i am not sure whether that includes the use of the beach club, clubhouse or pools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina