U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 08:10 PM

3 posts, read 9,607 times

Advertisements

no dont go anywhere near eastern north carolina go to greensboro,winston-salem raleigh high pont go to cost of living index to rate cost utilities in greenville nc are the highest rdu airport 2 hours away,no good deals on rentals,no concerts, I am not a fan of ECU and I am not impressed. Virginia is nice, anything but eastern NC I promise you it is very ghetto and boring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 05:41 PM

212 posts, read 989,097 times
It's all about perspective, if you are from a large urban area Greenville will be a hick backwater, if you appreciate a large university setting in what amounts to an agricultural fiefdom with a healthy dose of suburban sprawl, G'ville might certainly appeal. Eastern NC is pretty much the sticks but the laid back lifestyle with the beach east and raleigh west with alot of young people from all over at the school, it could be worse. Probably ought to check it out. Greenville is growing rapidly there is more to do all the time.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:45 PM

5 posts, read 21,616 times
Hi there. Since I'm originally from Eastern NC, thought I'd throw in my two cents. Advice is always relative, since it depends on what you're looking for in a new place to call home.

Greenville isn't too shabby, but I've been living in Raleigh/Cary since 1999 and absolutely love it here. In Raleigh/Cary, you're going to find more diversification: improvisational theater (ImprovOlympic, or iO South and ComedyWorx), indie film spots (Galaxy Theater and Rialto Theater), Broadway Series South, Whole Foods, large farmers market, food coops, colleges and universities etc.

Eastern NC is great, but right now, I am younger and want to jet set more often, so this is a better place for me. Plus, it offers more continuing education and employment opportunities. The real estate market seems to be holding its own, and the area continues to make the top of everyone's lists, too.

If you have any more specific questions, I'm happy to help since I've seen the best of both worlds. Cheers, and best of luck to ya.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:30 PM

956 posts, read 4,073,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creatively View Post
Hi, Laura.

There is a Whole Foods in Raleigh, which is about 90 miles away from Greenville.

My husband and I are considering a move to Greenville (based on a possible job opportunity) and have many of the same questions you have. From what we've learned so far, it seems like we will need to travel to the Raleigh area for some of the amenities we would like (like Whole Foods, etc.)

I'd love to hear more about cultural events in Greenville, if anyone else is willing to share. Is there, for instance, an arts theater or movie theater that shows independent and foreign films? Also, are there any Indian or Thai restaurants in town?

Thanks!

The wife and I used to have to drive to Raleigh to see indi films. That was almost 8 years ago, so it may have changed.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,742 times
They are currently building a Fresh Market in Greenville. There are also several farmers markets. Being a smaller city, there are not as many cultural events here, but there are some cool things that go on. There is a civic ballet, a civic orchestra, concerts in the park on weekends, as well as the various things scheduled at ECU. I have lived in Greenville for about a year now, and its a decent place to live. The parks and recs dept. has a lot to offer. The city has a very nice dog park, which is great because so many people live in apartments. There's not a whole lot in the way of independant bookstores/movies etc, but we do have a very nice regular movie theatre. Almost all of the restaurants here are chains, but there are a few great places like CPW's, A Tyvola, and Starlight Cafe that are very unique. Housing seems to be very affordable here. Just do your research first, because there are some sketchy places to live, or places that cater to the student crowd. Hope that helps

Old 08-20-2008, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,717 times
do any one know where to buy live crabs by the bussel anywhere in eastern north carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina