Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:11 AM

50 posts, read 119,074 times

Advertisements

I have to drive to work everyday on greenville blvd in greenville. I go in when it is off peak hours meaning there is not a ton of traffic. However I have NEVER seen anyone go the speed limit? Everyone I have seen drives 30-40 MPH on this road. Is there something I'm missing? The posted SL is 45 MPH?

Can anyone shed some light here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 11:15 AM

451 posts, read 1,914,091 times
It's not just Greenville Blvd...you could add several roads to the list where people do not drive the speed limit.

I think it's just that there is a lot of stuff off of Greenville Blvd and people are just loafing down the road, taking in the view of the beautiful parking lots.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:39 AM

I guess so. Like I said, I'll be leaving work around 9pm or 10 and no real traffic out there but the people are going 35 MPH I drive up behind them and the slow down more? I understand just cruisin around with no rush to get somewhere but at least be safe and go the speed limit and stay in the right lane.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:36 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times
I've actually noticed this prevalent all through Pitt, Greene, and Wayne county in particular. Not sure what is behind it but a significant portion of the population refuses to go faster than 5-10 miles below the speed limit. Which I find particularly frustrating as I have to commute from between Goldsboro and Greenville at least twice. A 38 mile trek from one office to the other often taking an hour or more.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:34 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncosi View Post
I guess so. Like I said, I'll be leaving work around 9pm or 10 and no real traffic out there but the people are going 35 MPH I drive up behind them and the slow down more? I understand just cruisin around with no rush to get somewhere but at least be safe and go the speed limit and stay in the right lane.
Just an FYI. It's a speed LIMIT. Not the required minimum. You are allowed to drive slower within reason but not faster.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:27 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,536 times
My thought is there could be people out of town. Either in ENC who are visiting or family members of students at ECU. Or old people

Old 11-13-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Just an FYI. It's a speed LIMIT. Not the required minimum. You are allowed to drive slower within reason but not faster.
Let me guess, your the authority on reason? You get to decide how much slower is 'within reason'? I have a sense that your one of the drivers slowing down traffic yourself.

As far as the law is concerned, you don't excessively speed because it's dangerous. Why would you go excessively under the limit? It's no different than speeding, it is just as dangerous. Speed limits are there for a reason, not to disregard them and go whatever speed you feel like. If you pull out in front of me and stay at a steady 20 MPH in a 45 MPH, your in trouble. If everyone followed the law and speed limit, this wouldn't happen.

See you on the road Richard . . .

Old 11-13-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Let me guess, your the authority on reason? You get to decide how much slower is 'within reason'? I have a sense that your one of the drivers slowing down traffic yourself.

As far as the law is concerned, you don't excessively speed because it's dangerous. Why would you go excessively under the limit? It's no different than speeding, it is just as dangerous. Speed limits are there for a reason, not to disregard them and go whatever speed you feel like. If you pull out in front of me and stay at a steady 20 MPH in a 45 MPH, your in trouble. If everyone followed the law and speed limit, this wouldn't happen.

See you on the road Richard . . .
Who said anything about going excessively under the speed limit. I have seen people get pulled over for going 40 in a 55. I am not the authority on reason. I'm just pointing out exactly what the law is. I do not hold up traffic on a road like Greenville Blvd. If I want to go under the speed limit I just move on over. It's people like yourself that get upset even when others are going over by 5 or 10. You always want to go faster no matter how fast you're already going. This someone in front of you and it drives you insane. Get over it.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:54 PM

466 posts, read 700,289 times
It seems like that on any road with multiple traffic lights and businesses where people can turn into or out of parking lot in multiple places.

I always try to go speed limit +5 when possible, and I avoided Greenville Blvd as much as I could for this reason.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
If everyone followed the law and speed limit, this wouldn't happen.
This is what drives me crazy. You fail to grasp the concept of the word limit. You transpose it to mean "requirement" when used in this context. It is those among us that insist that everyone else push their speed to the limit of the law and beyond that are causing the problems.

Now let me guess....

You're one of those guys that uses the center turn lane as a merge lane to get out into traffic. Illegal and dangerous. Please stop doing that. You cause ME to have to slow down since your illegal move is unpredictable and I'm not 100% sure of what you might do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina