U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-11-2011, 11:47 AM

15 posts, read 18,704 times
Default Southport Real Estate

One of these days, when we retire, we hope to relocate to Southport. We lived there years ago and, although I realize it has changed since then, it still maintains its small-town feel.

I tend to keep an eye on real estate there, just to watch how the trends are going. I have a bit of a pet peeve, with which I hope you will bear with me.

I have noticed that realtors -- not all, but enough -- tend to give inaccurate information regarding square footage. In most other cities, the square footage of a house is clearly listed on Realtor.com. For whatever reason, homes in Southport do not provide this information. It's necessary to track down the listing on each realtor's website to get these numbers. Okay, no biggie.

However, after doing so, I cannot tell you how often the realtor's square footage does not match up with what is provided on Brunswick County's website. The county have a Property Card for each residence which is easily available online by searching by address.

Example: There is a home in Smithville Woods which the realtor says has 2301 square feet. However, the Property Card says it's only 1896 square feet. That is a hugh difference, especially when figuring the cost per square foot. If the actual size is used, the price per square foot comes to a whopping $161/sf. This is a 2006 price, not 2011!

I supposed some realtors can't get their heads out of the clouds and refuse to accept that real estate prices have gone down in the past five years. I am not slamming all realtors, by any means. I guess my main reason for posting this is to alert anyone buying a house to compare the figures you get from the realtor with the information on file at the county. Then and only then can you calculate what kind of price per square foot you are looking at.

Thank you for letting me get that off my chest!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 06:53 AM

565 posts, read 729,367 times
are they including the garage??

Old 04-12-2011, 07:37 AM

6,367 posts, read 5,711,225 times
It also annoyed me that most of the Wilmington area real estate is listed in a range like 2200-2399 SF, thus cannot search on the square footage in Realtor.com . For me it was essential to know if my stuff would fit in the house I was looking at. I didn't care so much about the number of bedrooms, as we are just 2 people. I think sometimes the Realtors were counting the screened porches, although they should only count the heated and cooled square footage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina