U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,578 times

Advertisements

hello all...it is now 2011 and many of these post about Leland are fairly old, 2008, 2009. Anyone living there now in Waterford or Brunswick Forest that can offer any insight into how they like being there, HOA fees, any special assessments coming and the like? We are condisering these two neighborhoods to relocate to from NJ and want to live in a place that has things to do and people are happy there.
Any insight is appreciated!
Michele
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 08:58 PM

120 posts, read 201,881 times
We are BF residents for the past year and a half. We love it here. Everyone is super friendly, and there's no shortage of things to get involved with. It's a growing community, and new homes are constantly being added. There are a bunch of shops being built in the front of BF, called The Villages, and it will be quite lovely once they are completed. Right now, Lowe's Food and CVS are being built. There are already some businesses open, including medical, dental, sheriff's depot, Port City Java, BB&T banking and a veterinarian. There's plans to have a hotel, and they are still trying to secure a movie theater. Lots of growth potential. Leland is a great place that's undergoing monster changes along the route 17 corridor. I love seeing the transformation, and it will be great not to HAVE to go into Wilmington unless you WANT to!

Old 07-06-2011, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,419 times
Additional questions re Brunswick Forest:
1. Where is the nearest major hospital?
2. Are there any teaching hospitals nearby?
3. How is the airport in terms of being able to get reasonably priced non-stops to other US cities (especially to Philadelphia or Newark)?
4. Does Brunswick Forest have any arrangements with UNC-Wilmington to provide classes-or does UNC Wilmington have classes open to or geared to retirees?
5. Is there a decent library or bookstore in the area?
6. How about decent non-chain restaurants?
7. Are the nearby beaches attractive (i.e. not honky tonk), and how long does it take to drive there?

Old 07-06-2011, 03:01 PM

Additional questions re Brunswick Forest:
1. Where is the nearest major hospital? NHRMC (New Hanover Regional Medical Center) about 20 mins away in Wilmington. They are also opening a new facility 20-25 mins in the opposite direction called Brunswick Community Hospital (run by Novant) sometime this month.
2. Are there any teaching hospitals nearby? I do not know if either of these are teaching hospitals or not. I'd try Googling them if I were you.
3. How is the airport in terms of being able to get reasonably priced non-stops to other US cities (especially to Philadelphia or Newark)? I've used ILM (excellent location, only about 12 mins from BF) to fly back home to MA, and the flights ran between $225 and $325 pp.
4. Does Brunswick Forest have any arrangements with UNC-Wilmington to provide classes-or does UNC Wilmington have classes open to or geared to retirees? Yes, they have one-day type of classes for FYI purposes, not for credits or certs, though. They run them many times a year. I went to a great session of the history of Brunswick County.
5. Is there a decent library or bookstore in the area? There is a library in Leland, but I've never used it so I can't comment.
6. How about decent non-chain restaurants? This is a work in-progress...
7. Are the nearby beaches attractive (i.e. not honky tonk), and how long does it take to drive there? The closest beach is Wrightsville Beach, about 25 mins away, lots of families. You have to pay to park in most lots ($2/hr or $12 for the day) but it has a shower and bathrooms. The next beaches would be Carolina Beach and Kure Beach. Definitely more calm in the way of people, but no facilities. Some spots are free parking, others not. Myrtle Beach is about 75 mins south of BF, but definitely a different environment for tourists. Between BF and Myrtle Beach are many smaller beaches Oak Island, Ocean Isle, Holden, Long Beach, and a slew of others. I haven't been to them all yet. I haven't run into any offering facilities, but that's not to say whether there are any, or not...

Old 07-06-2011, 05:06 PM

56 posts, read 133,437 times
Check out Brunswick Plantation seems to be a very nice development.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,419 times
Thanks! Looking for possible retirement locales with good healthcare, good cultural/dining options, decent airport and near a college and university. I had thought about the Chapel Hill area, but I'm thinking it would be about 3 to 4 hours from the beach? i have lived within an hour of the Atlantic most of my life, so I suspect I would miss being able to get to the ocean easily.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:40 PM

Bxian,
Chapel Hill is about 2 1/2 hrs away from Wrightsville Beach, which I think is their closest option. You'll enjoy BF...have you come down to check them out yet? They offer weekend deals where they hook you up with a hotel, dinner, golf, etc. Look at their website.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:19 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,290,125 times
from ILM -

Delta takes you to Atlanta, which is the largest airport in the world.
USAir takes you to mostly to Philadelphia, and some to Charlotte

there used to be a flight to New York (La Guardia?) but it was expensive, and i heard they did (or are doing) away with it.

there is supposed to be a flight to Chicago, but I can't remember which airline , or when it might happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina