Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,906 times

Advertisements

Hello all...

This is my first post on City-Data (although I have spent countless hours over the last few months reading the threads)! This forum has been very helpful and full of good information for someone looking for info on relocating to the area (Wilmington or Raleigh-Durham).

As for my question...I am trying to find out what services are available for low income senior citizens in the Wilmington area. My husband and I will be moving and bringing my 72 year old father with us. I will be contacting the local Agency on Aging in the area but was hoping to get some local feedback, too.

A little background info may be helpful, so here it goes:

My husband and I (late 30's no kids yet) will be moving from Maine. We have only been in the ME/NH area for the past 2 1/2 years and are looking to move to warmer climates! We were previously living in the Kansas City area (my husband lived there most of his life, I grew up in CA and TX before moving to KC in 1991). We moved to the northeast for family reasons but can no longer take the extremely long and dreary winters.

We would like to consider the Wilmington area for relocation but must be sure my father's needs will be met wherever we settle. He needs low income subsidized senior housing ( in a safe area), public transportation, senior center, and proximity to a VA healthcare clinic. I know there is a large retiree population in Wilmington, so I'm hoping there are lots of services and things to do for someone in his age bracket.

I would truly appreciate any feedback on this topic. My husband and I love what we have read about Wilmington so far, and will be visiting the area in early June to check it out for ourselves. Hopefully, we will find it is a good fit for us and my father.

Thanks so much...Krista
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 05:30 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
I don't have an answer for you (am considering Wilmington among other areas for a move down the road), but a logical place to start might be to contact the NC-DAAS regarding housing for the elderly:

NC-DAAS-Housing Consumer Tips

Old 05-22-2012, 03:48 AM

4 posts, read 36,490 times
Default VA Clinic

I don't live there, but there is a VA Clinic in Wilmington, and they are in the process of building a larger one. The clinic is run by the Fayetteville NC VA hospital. You can look it up online. The VA has a website,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina