U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 08:05 PM

4,299 posts, read 13,648,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patt View Post
What I love about the area is you are between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach and also near Southport. There is a lot to do. I can't wait to relocate. We bought in SeaWatch. Good Luck.
I'm from Orange county NY too and I work for the company that owns Sea Watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 09:55 AM

452 posts, read 2,128,400 times
I'm getting ready to move there, have family there, have lived in NC all my life.

I don't really consider Shallotte to be too "rural", but it depends on how you look at it. Compared to where I am moving from Charlotte-metro, it IS very rural. There is a lot of open land there, still plenty of undeveloped acres.

But if you consider all things it's not really all that rural since it's near the beach, it has plenty of tourists, and is developing up. It's developing like crazy. I would define rural as more undeveloped and quiet than Shallotte but it's just my opinion, just pedantic.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:18 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,154,774 times
Hi Carol, sorry for getting into the mix so late. I come from LI and would consider Shalotte something like Calverton I suppose. Like others have said there is no "downtown" and you are only a few miles to the beach.

If you are looking for a nice Long Island feel for a relocation take a look at the Murrells Inlet/Pawleys Island area in SC. I moved from Long Beach to here last year and absolutey love it. It is 25-30 minutes to Myrtle Beach for shopping & entertainment & just over an hour to Charleston for anything "big city" that you may neeed, besides that it is a beautiful, historic city. I have found that Pawleys/Murrells Inlet area is alot like the south shore of LI 30 years ago. We have met so many wonderful people, our neighbors are great & our kids have fit into the schools well. The real estate may be a little more that in Shallotte but it is just beautiful down here.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:14 AM

15 posts, read 59,217 times
Have property in Shallotte and Ocean Isle Beach.
Check out Ocean Isle Palms. Google them, they have a web site.
New community going in. One mile back off of the island.
We love it there. Moving down from Maryland.
Shallotte is definitely not up-scale, but you can get what you need there.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,025 times
Smile Hi neighbor!

My wife and I are from Long Island and will soon be moving to Shallotte. It is an understatement to tell you that we cannot wait! We find the town to be charming with enough proximity to larger towns and stores that we never felt isolated. Although we are moving to a gated golf course community with all the amenities, I'm sure that if you bought a neighborhood home you will be warmly welcomed. We did three years worth of research (all the real estate shows and frequent visits to the area). Feel free to "pick our brains"

Old 11-20-2007, 02:05 PM

8 posts, read 20,336 times
Shallotte is a nice location because it is between Wilmington, Nc and Myrtle Beach, SC. There are a number of artist groups in Wilmington.
They offer art classes almost daily in Southport at the Franklin Square. Their website is:
Workshops & Classes

I think that both you and your husband would enjoy the Southport area. Lots of water(Cape Fear River, Intracoastal Waterway and ocean).

Old 12-25-2007, 07:49 PM

3 posts, read 19,533 times
I just came back form the Shallotte area. It is in the sticks with a mix of new homes and trailer parks. It is very rural and nothing like NY.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:54 AM

3 posts, read 31,575 times
does anyone know about the apartments in Shallotte? Cardinal Pointe and Birch Pond?

Old 03-30-2008, 09:32 AM

4 posts, read 35,236 times
Default Apartments in Shallotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by catways View Post
does anyone know about the apartments in Shallotte? Cardinal Pointe and Birch Pond?
Cardinal Pointe Apartments on the southern side of Highlands Glen Dr are new, rather spacious and nice. Birch Pond Apartments are several years older but several buildings were occupied for the first time this past fall.

Wherever you go, look up for fire sprinklers. Don't settle for an apartment without them!

Old 06-25-2008, 01:50 PM

14 posts, read 76,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol53 View Post
My husband and I are considering retiring to Shallotte or Calabash NC.

I read a post about Shallotte that said that it was rural - but, how rural is it? Are there street lights? Are there paved roads?

We will be relocating from Whitestone, New York. My husband loves boating and fishing - more than me. I would love to take classes at a nearby college and would also enjoy evening concerts and plays? Can you have the best of both worlds in Shallotte?

If there are any New Yorkers out there, can Shallotte be compared to any towns up here - Hampton Bays or upstate New York perhaps?

How is the shopping? Are there department stores or shopping malls? Artist communities and galleries?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. TKS.
Go to the Rivers Edge website. It will not only tell you a bit about Shallotte, but also a great community to live in. Shallotte is between historic Wilmington, NC and the Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach, North Carolina. Your husband and you both would be in heaven. Small town but not isolated. Right at the Ocean and the Intracoastal Waterway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina