Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 06:22 PM

27 posts, read 71,305 times

Advertisements

I posted another thread, about us relocating to Southport from VA. Been tossing some ideas around and would love some input.

While my husband has several fields he can look for a job in, the only background I have is in Home Daycare which I currently run out of my house and have done so for almost 30 years!!! While it saddens me to close my doors, esp while I have my grandkids in care with me, I am open to looking for new business ventures.

While my main goal is to move and be able to care for my parents while my hubby works, I just cant see sitting around on days my parents do not need anything and allowing my hubby to manage the entire financial aspect of living, as well as the fact I am not prepared to lose a substantial amount of income to nothing.

One thing I have noticed, since my parents cannot drive and need to rely on their friends to take them shopping or to the dr office, is the lack of public transportation in general as well as resources for the elderly. So one idea I have been tossing around is providing some kind of transportation services for the elderly - errand running, taking them to dr appts, shopping, into town to just get out and walk a bit, etc. For those living in the area of southport and oak island, does this seem feasible?

Another idea is actually something I thought of for years, and then had someone down there mention to me how I should think about it. Providing evening care, and some days, to those tourists who maybe want to go out to dinner without the kids.....or maybe want to go on a fishing boat for a half day but one spouse cant because they cant take the kids for whatever reasons. Like providing care in their hotel room so they can have a little more freedom. These days, you see a lot of families bringing along a nanny so they can have some free time, but some families may not be able to afford to have a full week nanny but still want just a little time to themselves.

I am sure I will come up with other ideas. but for now those are the two that I think of off hand right now.

thanks for the input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 04:59 PM

140 posts, read 317,462 times
Both your plans sound great but there one thing you must consider.

INSURANCE insurance insurance !!!! you would be very foolish to attempt to transport anyone as a business venture, your normal auto insurance would NOT cover driving non-related individuals on shopping trips or trips to the doctor. Trust me, if you had an accident and the passenger is injured and their last name is not the same as yours, believe me the insurance companies WILL investigate. And I can't imagine what getting the proper insurance would cost for that sort of COMMERCIAL endeavor.

Remember in these tough economic times people will do anything to make a buck including reporting false insurance claims to squeeze money out of the insurance companies or YOU, they don't care.

Same goes for any sort of part time day/night care care for children...I'm guessing here but those insurance costs would be even higher than that of your transportation venture and any claims would be triple that of a simple auto claim. Just think if you payed someone to watch your child and an accident happened which incurred high medical costs, would you just ignore it because that individual was just doing it as a part job to make ends meet? I don't think so.

I know you said you did the daycare thing for thirty years with no issues but I look at as your being very lucky for 30 years....

I commend you for trying to make a buck anyway you can to survive but you must be smart about it.

Sorry......

Ron W.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:18 PM

27 posts, read 71,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
Both your plans sound great but there one thing you must consider.

INSURANCE insurance insurance !!!! you would be very foolish to attempt to transport anyone as a business venture, your normal auto insurance would NOT cover driving non-related individuals on shopping trips or trips to the doctor. Trust me, if you had an accident and the passenger is injured and their last name is not the same as yours, believe me the insurance companies WILL investigate. And I can't imagine what getting the proper insurance would cost for that sort of COMMERCIAL endeavor.

Remember in these tough economic times people will do anything to make a buck including reporting false insurance claims to squeeze money out of the insurance companies or YOU, they don't care.

Same goes for any sort of part time day/night care care for children...I'm guessing here but those insurance costs would be even higher than that of your transportation venture and any claims would be triple that of a simple auto claim. Just think if you payed someone to watch your child and an accident happened which incurred high medical costs, would you just ignore it because that individual was just doing it as a part job to make ends meet? I don't think so.

I know you said you did the daycare thing for thirty years with no issues but I look at as your being very lucky for 30 years....

I commend you for trying to make a buck anyway you can to survive but you must be smart about it.

Sorry......

Ron W.

Oh dont be sorry!! Everything is appreciated.

I have definitely thought about the aspect of insurance and becoming licensed and bonded etc. Whatever has to be done will be done.

As for the daycare, not a matter of luck here with my 30 years of no incidents, but being very careful with the kids, making sure safety is in place with them, etc. I have insurance that does cover the kids here and actually it is not as expensive as you would think. However, considering I am not considering caring for them in my home but rather in the hotel room for a client (much the same like I see ads here for people coming in for weddings and need someone to come to their hotel room while they attend rehearsals and dinners, etc that the kids cant attend). This is one reason also why I would look into the legality aspect of it and getting licensed, bonded and insured for this!!

Thanks for the heads up and again, definitely appreciated as there might be something I did miss. Especially not knowing what the laws are in NC concerning what I am thinking of doing.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:19 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,513 times
Since Southport is a popular retirement area, I think your first plan is a good one-------BUT I would work as an employee for one of the local agencies who offers services for the elderly and homebound. Would cover insurance and screening of clients for your safety. And it would help you make connections and integrate into your new home area.
Good luck!

Old 06-22-2017, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 2,255 times
I think your plan is a great idea both actually. I am a Realtor and I get additional insurance for coverage for my clients to travel in my car.

So either idea would be great or both for that matter. You might want to do both and be a Personal Conceirge for anyone that
needs assistance. If they are elderly, shopping for them, wallking their pets, or baby sitting for vacationers. I was on a facebook page for Southport the other day and someone was wanting a referral for child care for her children.

So I would say investigate the expense of the insurance. I know that in my community there in Village Green there are a lot of elderly.

Good luck with your ventures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina