U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 04:51 PM

4 posts, read 27,752 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are from New Jersey and have started to look at homes in the New Bern area. I'm enamoured with the city.
We are retired in our fifties and we don't enjoy the long winters. He is an avid fisherman and hunter. I love nature and cultural activities. We have no children and just a very small extended family in New Jersey. Is it difficult to put down new roots and get comfortable in this area?
What sections within the city of New Bern or the surrounding area do you recommend that we check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2006, 07:10 PM

212 posts, read 989,365 times
New Bern is a great choice. Waterfront lots have skyrocketed in price in the last decade or so. Trent Woods and Brices Creek are two nice neighborhoods I know of.

There are lots of people moving in to this area. I will probably be moving to the Newport area myself next summer if all goes as planned.

This is a great place for outdoors minded folks to live. I'm going to give away my favorite fishing hole..but have your husband put in on the Trent River at the boat ramp in Pollocksville and fish the banks all the way down to New Bern...for rockfish..(striped bass). The Trent is clear, clean, and deep...some of these rock get up to 25-30 lbs. Just use a soft plastic grub or swim bait and cast up around all the snags just like largemouth fishing.
For hunting there are numerous private clubs in the immediate area or there is the immense Croatan Nat'l Forest.

Go with your husband fishing the Trent...very scenic and unspoiled. There are long stretches without any development on the banks at all. Here are some pics: top=rockfish from the Trent; middle: long nosed gar from the another trip; bottom: about a 300 lb black bear off my game cam near Vanceboro, NC...'bout 18 miles from New Bern.

Last edited by clodhopper; 08-30-2006 at 07:46 PM..

Old 09-01-2006, 10:06 PM

Default Thanks clodhopper

Thanks for the info. I gave the fishing info and pics to my hubby and he's going to try those tips when we're down in October.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:26 PM

11 posts, read 59,227 times
I have started looking into that area as well; can you tell me what attracts you to it? Have you actually visited? I have 2 small kids, so I want a family-friendly town with good schools. What's your perception of that area or others along that stretch? I'm a coastal girl from the Northeast, so I need to be near water, but really want a safe, friendly town to raise my kids. Plus, hubby is fisher/golfer, so the outdoor life is important, too. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:20 PM

Smile I like your handle Roadtripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtripper View Post
I have started looking into that area as well; can you tell me what attracts you to it? Have you actually visited? I have 2 small kids, so I want a family-friendly town with good schools. What's your perception of that area or others along that stretch? I'm a coastal girl from the Northeast, so I need to be near water, but really want a safe, friendly town to raise my kids. Plus, hubby is fisher/golfer, so the outdoor life is important, too. Any thoughts are appreciated.
We've been searching all along the North Carolina coast, and a little on the South Carolina coast. We visited New Bern in April. I love the appearance of New Bern. You cross a long bridge over the river and its a lovely view. The city is great to walk around, safe, good restarants, quality shops and historic homes and landmarks. You can even fish off their public docks. My husband says the river has good depth. Many locals are educated and interested in history and culture as well as sports and the outdoors. There are big name stores in the surrounding area and lots of streams and forests nearby.
We don't have kids but our realtor's wife is a teacher and he said you have to carefully investigate the schools. Some are very good but some aren't.
Have you been touring any areas? I like to hear your opinions.

Old 09-03-2006, 06:55 PM

212 posts, read 989,365 times
October is a great time to visit NC! October, November, and December are my favorite months of the year. We get alot of nice days even into Dec. Hope you guys have a nice visit.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:46 PM

6 posts, read 35,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osborn View Post
My husband and I are from New Jersey and have started to look at homes in the New Bern area. I'm enamoured with the city.
We are retired in our fifties and we don't enjoy the long winters. He is an avid fisherman and hunter. I love nature and cultural activities. We have no children and just a very small extended family in New Jersey. Is it difficult to put down new roots and get comfortable in this area?
What sections within the city of New Bern or the surrounding area do you recommend that we check out?
If you want any info on new bern you can email me at Johntrafford@optonline.net

Old 10-18-2006, 07:55 PM

110 posts, read 416,064 times
[
We don't have kids but our realtor's wife is a teacher and he said you have to carefully investigate the schools. Some are very good but some aren't.

Does anyone have any other input on New Bern schools? Which ones are good? I am coming for a visit in about a week, just for 2 days, for a job interview and to check out the area. I won't have much time but would love to visit New Bern as it is one of the areas close enough to my prospective new job, and sounds like a really nice town. If I get the job I'll be working in Lenoir County, and am torn between living closer to the coast or closer to Raleigh. I've learned alot from this forum and appreciate all the advice.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:28 PM

Yeah, I am from LI but go there frequently and know the area well. The schools that are good are the three "B"s I think they are Brinson,Ben Quinn and Bridgeton.... Here is a link for the schools and good info... If you have any questions you can PM me and I will give you more info...

Old 10-18-2006, 10:32 PM

oooopppps forgot the link ....here it is...http://www.greatschools.net/schools....&lc=e&state=NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina