U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 02:59 PM

59 posts, read 439,302 times

Advertisements

Hello All
I am seriously considering a move to Ahoskie. I have read some threads that were very helpful but I do have additional questions. What kind of shopping is in the area? What is are the best and worst parts of town. Now here is where I stand. For the most part I will be commuting from Virginia to NC, I am also a dreadlock stylist and I am not against moving in a depressed area that has potential. I have a nine year old son and I just finished my foster parent training so that I can have another little boy. I moved my son and I from New York to Virginia because I had family here but then they moved to Charlotte. Me and my son have been in VA for 5 years now and living in the Commonwealth is draining me. The cost of real estate is just plain crazy, especially when the same two bedroom townhouses that were once $85k are now priced at $175k and better. WHAT!! That's just crazy talk. For my boys I'd like a semi-rural area where I can buy them ATV's and let them run, play and live freely like kids should. My son will never know what it is like to live in New York, to just be restricted to sitting on someones stoop in the summer, not being able to play with his Radio controlled cars and things because they might hit someone's car and set off the alarm, the notorious get hit by a car while playing in the street (all NYers had at least one friend that was hit by a car) and the most favorite, metal detectors in public and private schools. I say all this so that you have an idea of where I am coming from. I saw some of the houses in Ahoskie were handyman specials and were really inexpensive. I have bad credit so I look for opportunitues like that for a rent to own option. Plus I used to work with my father so I have extensive home remodeling experience. So what can you tell me about Ahoskie. Any feedback is fine. I also plan on breeding Presa Canarios so I need space. HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 02:39 PM

22 posts, read 82,173 times
I know how you feel.
What I can tell you from my research is this:
Although I will still buy a house in Ahoskie eventually, I can't do it now because there aren't enough people to sustain a new fledgling business and getting a job in a little town is not feasible. I looked into starting in Elizabeth City, building there, and then moving to Ahoskie. This wasn't a great idea either because I would need the time, (more money for a house that's move-in ready) and money for the biz.

So here's what I'm doing instead (since getting out of the VA is next to impossible), I'm going to open the biz here... expand to Elizabeth City then buy a house in Ahoskie. I hope it works because the town is wonderfully quiet. The people I met (most of them) were friendly. There's one strip of land that makes up the whole town (one Mcdonalds, One Wal-mart etc.) "They do have Wendy's and an awesome Chinese Buffet" notice it's all food..there are no places to shop so commuting to VA for clothes, shoes etc will be a requirement (at least twice a year) otherwise, it seems to be a wonderful place to live.

There are a lot of properties with well water instead of city water and there are no public transportation systems so you have to have at least two cars (and probably a gas can. (smile)
I found an awesome realtor. She works with Welcome Home Realty and most of the houses are on-line. She sends me pics of houses that are "move in ready" although I can't buy one right now until I can save the deposit money again (VA strikes again). So while I'm waiting, I keep in touch with her and keep an eye on the market.
so that's what I know so far....good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina