Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 11:26 PM

4 posts, read 8,137 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My family will be vacationing in KDH'S next weekend and was wondering how the air quality is from the wildfire. I have an asthmatic child and I am very concerned about his health. I am also concerned how this will affect our vacation and our ability to enjoy the outer banks. Would any of you recommend getting a refund and try to book for a different time? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 02:42 AM

79 posts, read 318,498 times
We have had a few bad days,but the the wind has to blow in a perfect direction SSW for us to feel the full effect.It's not a very wide band of heavy smoke,so even if KDH is experiencing it,you can drive north or south a few miles and be fine.

Last edited by obxfisherman; 06-15-2011 at 03:01 AM..

Old 06-15-2011, 03:58 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,891 times
You'll probably be fine so long as you're not outside early in the morning or in the evening, assuming the wind doesn't shift direction all of a sudden. If you're planning on coming to Manteo, do it during the middle of the day and check NCDENR - Division of Air Quality - News and Public Outreach for air quality updates, especially if you're going to attend the Lost Colony.

The fire's going to be with us for a while due to the nature of the fuel source and the ongoing drought, so it's not something that you'll be able to wait out in the short term.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:07 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times
The smell was quite noticeable yesterday here in Morehead City. OBXfisherman is correct-It all depends on the direction of the wind. This time of year we are dominated by a SW wind.
Last time I checked over 45,000 acres have burned. The peat in the ground will smolder for some time. Pray for rain!

Old 06-15-2011, 04:23 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times
Oops! I neglected to post this article from the local OBX paper titled, "Smoke an irritating concern "

The Outer Banks Sentinel

Old 06-15-2011, 05:17 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
We smell it in New Bern every now and then, but it does not take much wind to dissipate it. Arriving during the day, as a poster has stated, will increase the likelihood of wind, and thus, lessen the impact, greatly. As a fisherman, it seems we ALWAYS have plenty of wind.

Good Luck.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:08 AM

4 posts, read 8,137 times
Thank you all for this valuable information. I know my vacation is secondary to those that live there and are having to deal with this fire on a daily basis. I pray that it will be contained and that no ones homes will be threatened and everyone remains safe. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina