U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,400 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are looking to come down for a well deserved vacation at the end of September. Can anyone tell me what the weather is like and how the water is then. We have always went to "busy" beaches and this is our first time doing the family vacation...any ideas to keep the little ones busy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 08:05 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,343,025 times
Mel- I'll put my 2 cents in here. Oak Island is a wonderful vacation spot. September is one of our favourite times to go to Brunswick Co. as the weather is still warm, the water temps are in the high 70's and the beach is not nearly as crowded.
I am guessing your kids are young (not school aged). If this is the case, Oak Island will be a great beach experience for you and your kids.

We found that a day at the beach usually did the kids in. A lot of sun and water, some food and they crashed!
Too much sun/water or a rainy day (rare) we headed for Myrtle Beach (40 or so minutes away) to a wealth of kid related stuff to do. Alligator Adventure, Broadway at The Beach (I-Max theatre), multiple mini golf places etc.

We love Brunswick Co. and hope you have a great time!

Old 08-22-2007, 06:50 AM

2 posts, read 6,400 times
Thank you so much for that info. Actually there will be school aged and aslo a todler. thanks for the great ideas!
Any suggestions for a good seafood dinner?

Old 08-22-2007, 08:26 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,353,710 times
Quote:
Any suggestions for a good seafood dinner?
Depends on what your budget is...

But you are right near the seafood capital of the world Calabash, NC. I was told by a local when I was hunting for a place to eat to go to Beck's Restaurant. Restaurants Calabash | Insiders Guide to NC's Southern Coast (http://www.insiders.com/wilmington/main-restaurants9.htm - broken link)

In Wilmington, you have many choices. My favorites along the RiverFront are Pilot House, Elijah's (both owned by the same people), George on the Riverwalk, and there are others. NONE of these are chains. Liz

Last edited by southernlady5464; 08-22-2007 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: Add info

Old 08-26-2007, 01:29 AM

1,261 posts, read 3,898,625 times
I've always enjoyed Ship's Chandler (now Cape Fear Restaurant) on the Southport waterfront. I love watching the boats go by and looking at the islands and the Oak Island Lighthouse through the big windows. The food is good, too.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:41 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,353,710 times
Quote:
I've always enjoyed Ship's Chandler (now Cape Fear Restaurant) on the Southport waterfront. I love watching the boats go by and looking at the islands and the Oak Island Lighthouse through the big windows. The food is good, too.
We ate there on our day taking pictures a couple of weeks ago and was sorely disappointed in it. The food was good but the service needed some serious help. Liz

Old 08-26-2007, 09:38 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,898,625 times
Ah, that's a shame. We were there on a very busy night in June and the service was fine. I'm sorry your waiter/waitress wasn't on the ball.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,084 times
The Cape Fear Restaurant in Southport is a great place to enjoy seafood. Our service was great, and the food was fantastic.Only minutes from Oak Island.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:27 PM

69 posts, read 424,790 times
Where is Oak Island in regards to Wilmington? How would I get there? What is there to do?

New to the area and I am loving exploring...

Old 09-19-2007, 02:48 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,142,280 times
Well you all I like Captain Stanley on Oak Island for my seafood. It is delicious.
Oak Island from Wilmington is south west of wilmington. It is about hour south from Wilmington. You would take 133 hwy straight into southport make a right on Dosher cut off and then a right on 211 hwy which is southport-supply road then make a left on Long Beach Road and go over the bridge on there you are.

Now what to do on Oak Island- ride bike or golf cart,swimming at the beach, play at the park, visit the Nature Center or Turtle Musuem,Skate Park( for skateboarder),tennis, basketball, kayaking,fly a kite or go for a walk. Oh yeah dogs are welcome on the beach if you leave them on leashes and bring a doo doo bag.
Have Fun!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina