U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2007, 01:25 PM

3 posts, read 7,299 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to New Bern this spring (we are a military family). We have small children so we would like to be near a good elementary school. I have heard Carolina Colours is nice...but very expensive to buy into and that Taberna is nice too...but has extreme dues ($6500 up front to just move there!!). I also saw a new community online called Grantham Place that looked really nice...and less costly than Taberna and CC. Please tell me your favorite neighborhoods and tell me why you like them. THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 07:32 AM

49 posts, read 250,690 times
My husband and I just moved to Colours. We built a large home on a big lot, so some of the "neighborhoods" in Colours are pricey. But there are also neighborhoods for younger families who aren't looking to purchase a "forever home". My husband and I are retired military, so I understand your need to find a good house in a good school district. This entire Taberna/Colours area will be booming as more homes are built, so anywhere close to us will be a good choice. I have not seen Grantham Place development, but I like this part of town. I can't believe Taberna pays those kinds of dues. Ours are $800 a year- I know this will eventually increase, but my daughter in Va Beach pays $300/month in a small condo community with a tiny pool. And half of our dues pay for our communications fees - internet and cable are included in the fee - we still have to pay for phone (bummer...).

Old 08-17-2007, 07:10 PM

505 posts, read 2,314,115 times
Brices Creek

Old 08-19-2007, 06:44 AM

844 posts, read 2,677,580 times
Default Are there strick covenants in the Colours?

We've also been considering the Colours, but were under the impression that you could not put up a fence? Someone else told us you could put up a fence, but only 1/2 way back on your property; as we understood that to mean, if you property were 100' deep, you could only put the fence back 50'?

Are there any major rules and restrictions? Having TV and internet included with the dues is not too bad a deal; at least you're getting something for $800/year.

When we visited we only had time to do a quick ride thru (my fault, as I had dismissed Colours due to what we heard about all the rules), but we did like the Brices Creek area. The Tucker Creek development in Havelock was a really nice area, although much smaller than Colours, and no amenities, but very nice anyway; It even has a middle school;

How is the medical care in the area for retirees? (I will be a government retiree in a couple of years)

Thank you,......marc

Old 09-01-2007, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,025 times
There's a lot of great military neighborhoods in New Bern, look on New Bern, NC Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Retirement Info, Waterfront Property, Golf Course Info and Relocation in the Neighborhoods section. Since you have kids, the schools are important, we have unusually good schools here, even a geat new private Christian school. Military must think about re-sale, check the number of homes for sale in each neighborhood. Welcome to New Bern, you will like it!

Old 09-21-2007, 10:57 PM

49 posts, read 250,690 times
Marc 515 - we have not found the Covenents in Colours to be overly strict. My husband just had a garage-sized shed built in our back yard, and the only restriction we had was that it had to match the house. Have talked to them about our deck expansion plans and got same message - should blend in.... I think the deal with the fence is pretty standard, the fence cannot extend in front of the front edge of your house. Haven't read anything about halfway back on the lot.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,895 times
Default New Bern

I grew up in New Bern and I miss it. I lived there until 6 years ago and whenever I visit my family there, I always get homesick. They have done many revisions to downtown since I left and I thought it was beautiful. Too bad they are putting condos on the waterfront by the Sheraton, very disappointing. The view from Captain Ratty's roof was still nice, but I kept imagining it without that new construction.

My children are past elementary school age but both of them have gone on to excel in school and had great years in the system there. You could live anywhere in the Trent Woods or Brices Creek area and find a beautiful home and great schools. There are older homes in the Trent Woods area on lots larger than a postage stamp with trees and grass and landscape! Beautiful neighborhoods that offer any size and neighborhood you could want. Oak View, Lake Clermont, Hunters Ridge, in the Brices Creek area, are all on the same side of town as Taberna, but not as pricey or regimented feeling. Grantham Place is new to me but it looks like a nice neighborhood. Things have certainly changed.

Personally, I am not a big fan of the new self contained neighborhoods. I feel like we seclude ourselves enough from others. I wouldn't trade anything about living there, the small town feel with the two rivers, close to the ocean and 2 hours from Raleigh. It's a beautiful town and I wish you good luck in your choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina