U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:23 PM

22 posts, read 64,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisimone View Post
Thanks for your posts everyone! Happy New Year! I was gone for the Holidays! It's so refreshing to hear that people are still open minded these days. Please email me to let me know of your projects!! Kisha963@yahoo.com
Hi Kisimone, I may be moving down to Ahoskie soon and would be interested in doing something to help advance the area too. I'm a computer/internet-savvy guy and that's my profession (website development specifically)... I think better website marketing could help put Ahoskie on the map, what do you think?

Quite frankly, looking at some of the sites like the official Ahoskie website, and some other sites related and quite frankly, I could do them alot better... in fact, I think one personal project of mine would be to redesign the Ahoskie website and make it easier to navigate, more aesthetically pleasing, and have better information.

Just some thoughts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 02:03 PM

Wow, nobody interested? I emailed you, kisimone, but got no response ???

Old 02-12-2008, 03:29 PM

1,684 posts, read 5,684,353 times
Hey I hope the move works out to Ahoskie. I was born and raised there but moved away 13 years ago. All my family still live in the area so I visit about once a month. The area is extremely economically disadvantaged and it seems all the nice areas in town are really going down. My view is there is few opportunites for good jobs but there are probably some around. I really haven't looked either as I am not considering moving back right now. I REALLY, REALLY wish some good paying jobs would come to the area but the schools are pretty bad (overall) and there is just little in the way of educated talented people for these jobs. Best of luck with the move.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Hey I hope the move works out to Ahoskie. I was born and raised there but moved away 13 years ago. All my family still live in the area so I visit about once a month. The area is extremely economically disadvantaged and it seems all the nice areas in town are really going down. My view is there is few opportunites for good jobs but there are probably some around. I really haven't looked either as I am not considering moving back right now. I REALLY, REALLY wish some good paying jobs would come to the area but the schools are pretty bad (overall) and there is just little in the way of educated talented people for these jobs. Best of luck with the move.
That's a shame. I don't think I'll stay there permanently though. I will probably either move back up here in Hampton Roads or maybe go to one of the bigger cities to the west. Just depends on what pops up for me and where. But I'd like to do what I can for the community, but it seems to me there's eithe rvery little interest or enough education to really help the area flourish... and I can see alot of room for improvement just from here and alot of potential but it doesn't seem to want to be used.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,179 times
Default Frustrated Ahoskian!

We moved to Ahoskie from Virginia Beach about 1 1/2 years ago. I'm from a much larger city. I tried starting a small business here. I wish I could actually meet people who think more progressively. It is wonderfully quiet, but frustratingly complacent. The business owners I would meet basically said they like things the way they are. They fight any new construction and large stores. We were supposed to have a Super Walmart built here and the town wouldn't have it.

There is so much potential, but even the schools have a lot to be desired. They are acutally shipping foreign teachers from other countries here to teach because they can't seem to find educated people that are willign to deal with this environment. Too many just want to get by with as little as they can so they can keep collecting government income. It's a gimme gimme mentality that turns your stomach.

I know there are poeple out here that want more, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding them.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famof4nc View Post
We moved to Ahoskie from Virginia Beach about 1 1/2 years ago. I'm from a much larger city. I tried starting a small business here. I wish I could actually meet people who think more progressively. It is wonderfully quiet, but frustratingly complacent. The business owners I would meet basically said they like things the way they are. They fight any new construction and large stores. We were supposed to have a Super Walmart built here and the town wouldn't have it.

There is so much potential, but even the schools have a lot to be desired. They are acutally shipping foreign teachers from other countries here to teach because they can't seem to find educated people that are willign to deal with this environment. Too many just want to get by with as little as they can so they can keep collecting government income. It's a gimme gimme mentality that turns your stomach.

I know there are poeple out here that want more, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding them.
Yeah, I'm a very progressive thinker... I'm afraid I wouldn't fit into the town once I go there. I'm not very religious (agnostic for now), and I'm just more of a city guy at heart. We actually drove down there yesterday to take a look at the area... nice small town, seems to have most of what you need nearby and about an hour or so drive from Chesapeake. the downtown area looked alot like downtown Suffolk.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't want to build a super wal-mart, but from what I saw there were about a billion food stores and restaurants there. (We ate at the KFC/Taco Bell). Would have been nice, and I could already see that there is alot of room for expansion. And the people of Ahoskie should know that the business there is not just for the 5,000 or so residents of Ahoskie, but also for surrounding towns and visitors.

famof4nc, the house we're looking at is on North St W (or North W I think according to the weird street signs down there). One of the things that troubles me is getting high-speed internet access down there. I know they have time warner and embarq... embarq doesn't let you get "naked" DSL (you have to get their phone plan too), and tw I think lets you just get high speed and not cable TV (we're using dish) but it might be more expensive. I'm also going to have to switch my cell provider since t-mobile doesn't work... ugh, I'm rambling. We should possibly meet sometime after I get settled and talk.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:33 PM

19,506 posts, read 17,755,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famof4nc View Post

That is the trouble with many smaller communities in Eastern NC The current residences are older and do not like change thus it will never truly grow. I live in New Bern and it is basically the same way. They like new housing but nothing else. The mall down here is a joke, too few restuarants, and no big named chain stores except for WallyWorld, Target, and Lowes. Most people go to Jacksonville or Greenville to do their trus shopping.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:08 PM

3 posts, read 7,583 times
I really do not like to play the pessimist, but I am very doubtful that Ahoskie will ever improve. Between the nepotism that exists in almost every form of life here (government, our schools, the community college, etc.) and the fact that no one here really wants change... this place is headed even deeper down the crap shoot.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,499 times
Hello my name is Frankie and I'm looking to move to Ahoskie in May 2010. My Fiance will reside there. I know that it is a dead place but I firmly believe whereever my family resides there is life so we will make it happen!!!

Old 03-02-2010, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,432 times
Hi everyone,

I use to live in ahoskie 12 years ago. I as a native new yorker. People in the area resist change . There are several business I know would fly and create so much revenue in the are, however its hard to do when you have the wrong folks around you. Ahoskie is a gold mine. First and foremost I can't do anything with out Gods help, you must have a vision, finances, and the right people to get the job done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina