U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-01-2011, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
7 posts, read 14,543 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

Alright, I know that this thread is extremely old and no one will probably ever read this post, but I happened upon this and just had to say something. I was born and raised there and I wonder where this potential is that you guys have spoken of. I can assure you that moving there to open a business would be a huge mistake unless you plan on opening an ABC store. The people here probably won't be the least bit interested in what you are trying to sell, and even if they are they won't be able to afford it. As far as the Super WalMart thing goes, not getting it probably saved the few businesses that are here. Also, if you are planning on having a family here don't expect them to get anything close to a decent education unless you ship them off to a boarding school, far far away from Hertford, Bertie, Gates, and Northampton County schools.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2011, 11:32 PM
 
929 posts, read 1,493,718 times
Reputation: 1626
Yeah, horribly old post, I know we just got a slap on the wrist in one of the forums from the moderators about replying to posts several years old...but I just have to say:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA What a LAUGH! I know the OP means well, but you could scratch out "Ahoskie" and put any dozen NC town in its place. What rural NC towns--heck, towns all across the COUNTRY aren't trying to revitalize? Some places are even throwing private and public funds at the problem in hopes of getting something started. And this poster thought a few folks with a dream could pool their resources and do what other towns can't figure out how to do. If only it were that easy. Bless her heart.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 11:34 PM
 
929 posts, read 1,493,718 times
Reputation: 1626
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisimone View Post
If we can get 5-10 people to move to these older neighborhoods every month and start remodeling and opening businesses, in a year or two, we would have created the next HOT SPOT!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! OMG, I am SO tickled!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2011, 07:01 PM
 
Location: NC
1,987 posts, read 2,664,518 times
Reputation: 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdeanes View Post
Alright, I know that this thread is extremely old and no one will probably ever read this post, but I happened upon this and just had to say something. I was born and raised there and I wonder where this potential is that you guys have spoken of. I can assure you that moving there to open a business would be a huge mistake unless you plan on opening an ABC store. The people here probably won't be the least bit interested in what you are trying to sell, and even if they are they won't be able to afford it. As far as the Super WalMart thing goes, not getting it probably saved the few businesses that are here. Also, if you are planning on having a family here don't expect them to get anything close to a decent education unless you ship them off to a boarding school, far far away from Hertford, Bertie, Gates, and Northampton County schools.
This place sounds like the rectum of NC. Why would anyone want to live there? I guess it must be a VILLAGE to "exist and wait to die in". Geez, I thought New Bern was bad.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2011, 07:03 PM
 
Location: NC
1,987 posts, read 2,664,518 times
Reputation: 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
Yeah, horribly old post, I know we just got a slap on the wrist in one of the forums from the moderators about replying to posts several years old...but I just have to say:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA What a LAUGH! I know the OP means well, but you could scratch out "Ahoskie" and put any dozen NC town in its place. What rural NC towns--heck, towns all across the COUNTRY aren't trying to revitalize? Some places are even throwing private and public funds at the problem in hopes of getting something started. And this poster thought a few folks with a dream could pool their resources and do what other towns can't figure out how to do. If only it were that easy. Bless her heart.
Special guest just made me bust out laughing. LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2011, 07:06 PM
 
Location: NC
1,987 posts, read 2,664,518 times
Reputation: 3090
I actually feel bad for the op if he ever moved there. Where is the op at? Lol.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2011, 11:15 PM
 
3,271 posts, read 2,652,366 times
Reputation: 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
This place sounds like the rectum of NC. Why would anyone want to live there?
Good lord no, that'd be Charlotte.

Ahoskie's very country and poor, but there's plenty worse places.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2011, 03:22 PM
 
610 posts, read 2,763,604 times
Reputation: 792
I've driven through Ahoskie a few times and have stopped for gas and a bite to eat.

Here is my "opinion" of the town:

I think racism is still rampant in that part of the state. I was getting the feeling like I was not welcomed there.

There isn't much of anything in that town with the exception of a few fast food joints, IGAs, banks, etc.

The Roanoke River area of NC is considered the worst part of NC in terms of life expectancy, education levels, income, quality of life, healthcare, job opportunities, etc.

IMO, Ahoskie would be one of the worst places in northeastern NC to start a business or create sometype of growth mechanism. The people there have no money and I am willing to bet at least half of the town is on some kind of government assistance program--food stamps, welfare, SS disability, etc.

If you want to create a business in eastern NC, create one in Greenville.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top