Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 02:29 PM

59 posts, read 469,490 times

Advertisements

I drove through the area of Ahoskie one day and I saw saw much potential in this city it was unbelievable. I read up here that people mainly out of towners that are looking to escape cities and move out to the burbs like me. Alot of people are saying that Ahoskie is dead, true but it's on life support. Where are the people with dreams of starting thier own businesses and buying a home? Lets bring back the areas that allow your kids to swim in the backyard, perhaps ride ATV and other things that you can't do in these newer neighborhoods. I have not read one thread where we could all network with people who want a better way of living and are willing to open businesses in these areas. These areas are rural now but the way people are moving South, they won't be rural one day. Where are the house flippers, construction and remodeling companies, beauty salon and corner store owners that want to try something new. Have the last of the real settlers moved on? When did we start turning our noses up at real estate?? If we can get 5-10 people to move to these older neighborhoods every month and start remodeling and opening businesses, in a year or two, we would have created the next HOT SPOT! I am interested in meeting anyone who is thinking about moving to Ahoskie, escpecially moving and starting a business. If you don't see what you want in other areas, make your own. Think big. Lets network!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 03:42 PM

954 posts, read 4,377,287 times
Most of the dreamers are back in NYC where you used to live.
I used to live in NC, both East and West. I've seen small towns like Ahoski, empty out to move to where the jobs and malls are. My mom lives in a small town in the foothills. They have tried everything under the sun to revitalize this quaint town. Nothing seems to stick for long. They even have an I-40 exit.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:43 PM

Thats so sad, because in fact that is the nature of business but then what happens to places like Ahoskie? Someone will try once again to revitalize Ahoskie but it's going to take more people that are dedicated to seeing that happen in order for it to actually grow into something big. You're going to need the dreamers and people who are outside of the box thinkers, risk takers and people of strong faith to make it happen. Will people try to move there when investors come into town and make it unaffordable for you to live comfortably there, why not stake your claim now? Almost everyone who lives in Virginia (non-Natives) would rather reside in an affordable area and live good. I'm not saying move to the country and get your farm on, but If you wanted to put a pool, mini golf course, BBQ/entertaining deck with full outdoor kitchen, pond or basketball court in the backyard you can do that. I'm looking for people who are interested in moving to Ahoskie, people already working in Ahoskie, people moving from other places to Ahoskie, and people who want to start thier own businesses. I have resources if you need them (loans). I haven't given up on people yet, I'm patient. Think Big.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:22 AM

49 posts, read 272,089 times
Hang in there, the Baby Boomers are on the way. North Carolina is a prime target for Boomer retirement, my husband and I just made the move. He is retired, I am not, but have a job lined up. This is a bittersweet reality. As folks move in, so does big business. Some of these picturesque towns will become havens for big box suburbia.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,398 times
I am currently looking at Ahoskie and surrounding areas for relocation from NJ. I will be retaining my current employment (working from home), but I am also interested in small business opportunities. Networking is a good.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:06 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,029,289 times
Ahoskie's Heritage Festival is in a week. Maybe a good time to start networking! Click Here

Old 10-04-2007, 08:03 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,287 times
I know I have already posted here, but as we would say in Brooklyn, Fuggaboutit.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:14 AM

5 posts, read 17,687 times
Hi Hope everyone is well! I was wondering if anyone had any good references for somewhere to stay. My husband is doing shut-down work for the power plant in Cofield around October 15 2007. He will only be there for about two weeks. Would anyone know of a room for rent for very inexpensive? He will be working 12 hour days and 7 days a week so he wont be seen much. Just needing somewhere to lay his head and take a shower witout paying outragous prices for a motel room.
Thanks

Old 01-08-2008, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,262 times
Default Thinking Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisimone View Post
Thats so sad, because in fact that is the nature of business but then what happens to places like Ahoskie? Someone will try once again to revitalize Ahoskie but it's going to take more people that are dedicated to seeing that happen in order for it to actually grow into something big. You're going to need the dreamers and people who are outside of the box thinkers, risk takers and people of strong faith to make it happen. Will people try to move there when investors come into town and make it unaffordable for you to live comfortably there, why not stake your claim now? Almost everyone who lives in Virginia (non-Natives) would rather reside in an affordable area and live good. I'm not saying move to the country and get your farm on, but If you wanted to put a pool, mini golf course, BBQ/entertaining deck with full outdoor kitchen, pond or basketball court in the backyard you can do that. I'm looking for people who are interested in moving to Ahoskie, people already working in Ahoskie, people moving from other places to Ahoskie, and people who want to start thier own businesses. I have resources if you need them (loans). I haven't given up on people yet, I'm patient. Think Big.

Amen! My fiancé and I share in your frustration but firmly believe that perserverance and the diligent pursuit of new networks can revitalize neighborhoods, communities, towns and big cities alike. We are a young couple who has been searching for a place like Ahoskie for some time. Incubator towns like Ahoskie remind me of an area that we live very close to now, Siler City/Chatham County NC boasts some of the same dynamic elements for growth that are easily recognizable to those who understand the possibilities. We own and operate a marketing company and work extensively in the areas of corporate identity, brand recognition and business planning. Given the nature of our business, networking is elemental. We truly understand the power of networking and the possibilities associated with it. We would be interested in communicating with you further about a revitalization project/concept that we have already begun research and development on. Ahoskie sounds a bit smaller than Siler City, however I believe that this concept applies to big and small. Let's talk! Feel free to e-mail us at [email]javajustice07@yahoo.com[/email], we look forward to hearing from you.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:29 PM

Default Wow

Thanks for your posts everyone! Happy New Year! I was gone for the Holidays! It's so refreshing to hear that people are still open minded these days. Please email me to let me know of your projects!! Kisha963@yahoo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina