Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 13,538 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm considering moving to Wilmington. I'm a 50 year old, single female. I'll be running my own business out of my home. I enjoy the arts (and Wilmington appears to have quite a bit, especially considering its size), and I love the idea of being in an area that has both river and beach right at hand. I'd also like a place that has some nightlife, as opposed to an area that rolls up its sidewalks at 8pm. And, would also like to be able to walk to restaurants, stores, etc., rather than having to drive everywhere. It sounds like Wilmington offers all this (especially if I was living downtown), but...is it easy to make new friends there? I'm fairly intellectual...is it a heavily beach-bum attitude there? And, how about the dating scene for a heterosexual 50 year old female?

Any input will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 02:57 AM

50 posts, read 119,030 times
I think it'd be great for you. And no, especially downtown, it's not a beach bum mentality. Alot of people here are very friendly and I've had no trouble making friends

Old 07-18-2011, 05:53 AM

278 posts, read 576,842 times
I think it is perfect for you. I would look for a storefront downtown that has upstairs living for you. You know live over the store.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:13 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
I think it would be great for you - also meetup.com is pretty active here, and there are a lot of people in their 50s (there's a very large singles group, and many people are 50-plus).

Old 07-18-2011, 06:56 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
i'm not going to oversell you on it -- i lived downtown and i thought it was pretty gritty, considering how much it costs.

if you're the sort of person to take a strong interest in 'community events', then you'll like it.

however if you're the sort of person who likes to shop, who needs suburban conveniences (low crime, a place to park your car, a grocery store nearby, a yard), then you might be disappointed.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:00 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollycat7243 View Post
I'm fairly intellectual...is it a heavily beach-bum attitude there?

hmmmm I'm more educated than the average bear and i consider myself a beach bum :P

I don't know that I would want to live downtown, but its more because of space and family needs than anything else. Although yes, there are parts that I wouldnt wander by myself late at night. I don't care where you are, that's just asking for trouble.

Lots of cool places to eat and shop and have a drink and, in my hubbys case, find cigars LOL

Old 01-21-2015, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,527 times
Hi I'm a 55 yr old woman that just moved to nc in may. Where I live now nothing to do unless your into church activities. No jobs available you have to find something 20-30 min. Away. Rent is high in town. I'm looking for a decent $11. -$12. Hr job. Mobile home /apt. Not downtown small pet friendly. Is there anything like this there. Or do I need to look elsewhere. Thanks

Old 01-22-2015, 04:45 AM

353 posts, read 604,174 times
With your parameters - $11-$12 an hour, ok with living in a trailer/apt - you could probably do okay here, depending on what sort of job skills you have. I'm assuming no kids or other dependents?

You will have to do some serious research on a place to live, though. Cheaper places are usually in sketchy areas - there are exceptions, but you have to find them, and that mostly requires on-the-ground searching, not internet surfing and looking at pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina