Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 10:36 AM

219 posts, read 852,967 times

Advertisements

Okay guys and gals.
When we get to Shallotte we will HAVE to find a place that has good Italian rolls and bread.
I love cooking ......... especially Italian (the wife is Italian) and there is nothing better than a good roll or loaf of Italian bread to help things along.
Willing to travel.
Dennis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 11:50 PM

90 posts, read 343,160 times
Lol, good luck finding some !!! If you do let me know. sure miss my hard rolls and good crusty italian bread!!!! all you need is a chunk of italian bread buttered (or not) and some of mommas good italian sauce mmm mmm mmm thats italian ohh and the meata ballsa hee hee

Old 08-02-2007, 07:34 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njprintman View Post
Okay guys and gals.
When we get to Shallotte we will HAVE to find a place that has good Italian rolls and bread.
I love cooking ......... especially Italian (the wife is Italian) and there is nothing better than a good roll or loaf of Italian bread to help things along.
Willing to travel.
Dennis
I know it. I haven't had that in years. If I find any in Myrtle Beach I'll let you know. The drive from Shallotte is not bad.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:13 PM

43 posts, read 147,342 times
Anyone from the Shallotte or Calabash area? My husband and I are considering retiring there. We are from Whitestone (Queens) New York.

How rural is it? Are there street lights? Are there good stores in the area? I am too young to fully retire, and I might work. Is there a college nearby? I work in a college in New York now so it would be an easy transition. TKS

Old 08-03-2007, 02:53 PM

219 posts, read 852,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol53 View Post
Anyone from the Shallotte or Calabash area? My husband and I are considering retiring there. We are from Whitestone (Queens) New York.

How rural is it? Are there street lights? Are there good stores in the area? I am too young to fully retire, and I might work. Is there a college nearby? I work in a college in New York now so it would be an easy transition. TKS
Carol,
Judy and I have a deposit on a place in Shallotte. $149,000. Mobile double wide. 3 beds two baths. Two car attached garage. 9 yrs old and in beautiful condition. 120x120 lot. And the property taxes will be no higher than $850 a YEAR. No Home Owner Development cost nonsense. About 2 miles from downtown.
Shallotte is not a giant city but does have Wal Mart and Home Depot and Sears.
Yes they have street lights and even indoor plumbing.
Only kidding.
As for work? I couldn't tell you. I will RETIRE FULLY.
I do know that Wilmington is about 35 to 40 miles away. Not a bad trip taking Rt 17.
Judy and I have been taking our vacation to the Myrtle Beach area for years and we fell in love with the Calabash / Shallotte area. Rural but no the sticks. You have to drive to the store but only a short trip.
Even the summer visitor season is not bad in either city.
And of course it all depends on how much money you have to spend and what you need.
You can buy homes from 100K to .............
I have heard that Brunswick county is one of the fastest growing in the state.
What is real nice is a mixture of local folks and movers like us.
If you have any questions............email me or just respond here.
We can't wait..............just have to sell this place in NJ and that has been a problem.
Denny and Judy
Woodlynne / NJ

Old 08-04-2007, 07:16 PM

njprintman -

Thank you very much for your response. I appreciate all the info you are passed along to me. I am new to this forum, and I didn't know how to post a new thread initially. When I saw that you had your original conversation back in February, I didn't expect a response!

We will be visiting NC for the first time - where do you and your wife stay while you are down there?

It sounds so wonderful, and I am so glad to hear that is it not the sticks. I wasn't expecting New York City, but I didn't want "Deliverance" either (if you remember the movie with Burt Reynolds!)

Your new home sounds wonderful - this is what we would be interested in also. You have a nice size lot - big, but not too big. My husband and I both love to garden, and I do want a decent size lot - up to an acre would be perfect. I know though that what my mind wants to do, and what I actually can do, are becoming 2 different things. We really should be looking for a smaller lot since is will be less maintenance for us, but we love being outdoors. We also would like to have a dog when we retire, and a nice size yard would be nice for that reason also.

People on the other forum sent me a link for some real nice communities in both Shallot and Calabash that are being built. They are beautiful, but we have to be careful about the price. We will be selling our home in Whitestone, and we need some of that money for an annuity too.

They recently raised our real estate taxes here to a little over $4,000.00/year. Cost now of heating, as I'm sure you know, is way too high. I am paying $310.00 per month on level billing with Con Ed! Outrageous - and it is only going to get worse. We can't stay here in retirement. We have lived in New York all our lives - this will be an exciting experience for us.

I think we will be moving down there at a good time. I agree this is going to be a very attractive state in the coming future to us baby boomers. People are living Florida now too and settling there from what I have been told.

The best of luck to you and your wife - I hope you find your Italian Bread!
We will miss that too - keep us posted if you find the right bakery!

Old 08-04-2007, 08:13 PM

3,290 posts, read 9,186,341 times
Carol, our electric bill this last month was less than $140.00 and that was for an all electric house running 5 computers full time. Also I stay home all day. In MI we paid over $175 a month/budget billing and still had a gas bill on top of that.

Car insurance will probably go down for you as well...however don't be surprised to pay more for house insurance. Property taxes WILL be less (ours are about $1200 a year and include trash pickup) but thanks to being close to the coast, we got hit with a raise on homeowners insurance. See this link for more info: Homeowners insurance costs- Coastal Towns??

Hope this info helps. Liz

Old 08-05-2007, 07:07 AM

Very good news about the electric bill and property taxes -

House insurance I see has to be carefully reviewed - I went to the link you provided - very helpful and informative. Thank you. I see that you appear NOT to be in the designated "beach" areas. Quite a difference in rate and in the same county.

These are the rates of course now - 10 years from now ??? maybe double?

I'm trying to do some more research concerning this online - I would like to see a map with the different terrorities - or information such as "2-10 miles from coast pays . . . . .etc." If I find something, I will pass it along.

TKS

Carol

Old 08-07-2007, 09:55 PM

256 posts, read 1,145,548 times
Thumbs up Good Italian Restaurant in Myrtle Beach

There is a place on Rt. 17 in either Myrtle Beach or North Myrtle Beach called Benito's that has good food and good bread. They are pretty moderately priced.

Also, on 17 in North Myrtle is a place called Tony's which is excellent.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:10 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol53 View Post
njprintman -

Thank you very much for your response. I appreciate all the info you are passed along to me. I am new to this forum, and I didn't know how to post a new thread initially. When I saw that you had your original conversation back in February, I didn't expect a response!

We will be visiting NC for the first time - where do you and your wife stay while you are down there?

It sounds so wonderful, and I am so glad to hear that is it not the sticks. I wasn't expecting New York City, but I didn't want "Deliverance" either (if you remember the movie with Burt Reynolds!)

Your new home sounds wonderful - this is what we would be interested in also. You have a nice size lot - big, but not too big. My husband and I both love to garden, and I do want a decent size lot - up to an acre would be perfect. I know though that what my mind wants to do, and what I actually can do, are becoming 2 different things. We really should be looking for a smaller lot since is will be less maintenance for us, but we love being outdoors. We also would like to have a dog when we retire, and a nice size yard would be nice for that reason also.

People on the other forum sent me a link for some real nice communities in both Shallot and Calabash that are being built. They are beautiful, but we have to be careful about the price. We will be selling our home in Whitestone, and we need some of that money for an annuity too.

They recently raised our real estate taxes here to a little over $4,000.00/year. Cost now of heating, as I'm sure you know, is way too high. I am paying $310.00 per month on level billing with Con Ed! Outrageous - and it is only going to get worse. We can't stay here in retirement. We have lived in New York all our lives - this will be an exciting experience for us.

I think we will be moving down there at a good time. I agree this is going to be a very attractive state in the coming future to us baby boomers. People are living Florida now too and settling there from what I have been told.

The best of luck to you and your wife - I hope you find your Italian Bread!
We will miss that too - keep us posted if you find the right bakery!

I was just at the Shallotte DMV yesterday, it does seem like lots of homes are starting to pop up. It's a short distance from Little River and N Myrtle Beach. Lots of stuff to do up there if you get bored.

Best of Luck to you, the whole area looks lovely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina