U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 15,021 times

Advertisements

I am looking for the perfect carolinas coastal town to retire. We want walking distance to ocean & golf. Small place to live, condo or townhome. No maintenance. Anyone have ideas to share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 15,022 times
Check into Belhaven, North Carolina - New Condos

Old 08-11-2007, 07:14 PM

713 posts, read 3,471,445 times
Smile There are a lot of options on the Crystal Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfdmary View Post
I am looking for the perfect carolinas coastal town to retire. We want walking distance to ocean & golf. Small place to live, condo or townhome. No maintenance. Anyone have ideas to share!
There are a number of options in the area from Beaufort down to Swansboro.

I have travel guides of Beaufort (http://coastalnc.org/beaufortnctravelguide - broken link) and Swansboro. There is a new golf community going up near Beaufort.

There are also golf courses in Morehead City, Pine Knoll Shores, and Cape Carteret. There is a full list of courses at the Crystal Coast site (http://www.crystalcoastnc.org/ThingsToDo/ByLand/Golf/ - broken link).

There are lots of condos available in a variety of price ranges including a number of new developments.

I have a number of websites to help people find out about the area.

You could start at my Coastal Paradise site or my Southern Outer Banks one.

I also have lots of pictures and slides shows posted at this site.

We moved here last September and are really enjoying ourselves. We live in a water access community with a golf course across the road.

If I can answer any questions about the area, don't hesitate to get in touch with me. I love talking about the area.

-David Sobotta

Old 08-13-2007, 07:09 AM

49 posts, read 250,632 times
I moved to New Bern two weeks ago, from Maryland. I am originally from Va Beach (too big and congested), but I spent a lot of my younger years in Eastern Carolina, so when we started looking for retirement options, EC seemed a natural choice. I found a website titled "The best ten places to retire in NC". Oriental was on the top of the list, so we planned a trip to check it out. I loved the town, whose claim to fame was 900 people and 2700 sailboats... It is full of friendly, if a little quirky people, many of whom are enjoying their retirement in a laid-back, good ol boy setting. I love Oriental, but my husband immediatly vetoed the choice because it is too small and "has no Home Depot". So we searched upriver in New Bern, which is a little bigger, and will be getting a Home Depot soon. We plan to spend a lot of time in Oriental. You have to do a little research and make a few trips. Don't depend on testimonials to make your selection, you have to get into thue area, and you'll know when a town feels right.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:22 PM

I absolutely agree that you have to visit the area to find what is right for you. When you look at an area through someone else's eyes, you're seeing what they see not what you might see.

We spent three years researching and visiting before we found the place that felt right for us. We visited spring, fall, and summer before we were satisfied with our choice.

Still there are always compromises, not everyone can live without a Target, but we have found that we can. (There is one in Jacksonville, 25 minutes from us, but no one wants to make the drive)

The Internet is great but it is no substitute for coming and visiting a place in good and bad weather.

I have also suggested to people who are interested in moving to the coast that they should try renting a place for a few months to see if the area fits.

There are plenty of long term rentals along the coast, and renting is a quick way to figure out an area and see if you like it. It is a lot easier to rent a place and move to another spot than it is to buy a place and figure out you have to sell it to get to your real destination.

I also suggest that people thinking of living on the water make certain that they visit the property by water. While it might look like a lot of water, it might be totally different in a boat at low tide.

If you aren't careful, you can end up with a boat that can't get to real water.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:17 PM

152 posts, read 406,676 times
Default coastal towns and retirement

Well, I'm in the begining phazes of looking for a retirement location in coastal
NC.. I sort of like new bern, seems its growing too rapidly could get out of
hand in the next five years or so. Oriental was nice , very pricey, maybe a
little to remote, ( for my wife, of course!) People on this forum seem to love
Moorehead city and Beaufort. Frankly I could't get out of that area fast enough. Heck, its the Jersey shore! I'm trying to get away from that..
I took a walk along the seafood restaurant strip..the prices were very high.
If I want an expensive sea food dinner, I got cape may..Nope, not impressed
at all with the whole area....In the fall, I'll check out Washington, heard some
good things about this area..Of course, we are all different, and others have
completly different views...If your from the north east and looking for
congestion, summer crowds, expensive dinning, my guess is you can avoid some of these Coastal areas, NC included...

Old 08-17-2007, 05:56 PM

Smile Not sure you made it to Swansboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbay View Post
Well, I'm in the begining phazes of looking for a retirement location in coastal
NC.. I sort of like new bern, seems its growing too rapidly could get out of
hand in the next five years or so. Oriental was nice , very pricey, maybe a
little to remote, ( for my wife, of course!) People on this forum seem to love
Moorehead city and Beaufort. Frankly I could't get out of that area fast enough. Heck, its the Jersey shore! I'm trying to get away from that..
I took a walk along the seafood restaurant strip..the prices were very high.
If I want an expensive sea food dinner, I got cape may..Nope, not impressed
at all with the whole area....In the fall, I'll check out Washington, heard some
good things about this area..Of course, we are all different, and others have
completly different views...If your from the north east and looking for
congestion, summer crowds, expensive dinning, my guess is you can avoid some of these Coastal areas, NC included...
Beaufort's draw bridge does cause some traffic problems and the downtown get crowded for a few hours a day during a brief period in the summer, but I wouldn't call it the Jersey shore.

Morehead has a lot of Route 70 traffic and the train occasionally, but once you turn down Route 24 and head to Cape Carteret, Cedar Point, Emerald Isle, and Swansboro, the crowding is pretty minimal.

I go to the Emerald Isle beaches, and I have never seen crowds like I saw in New Jersey at the beach.

The bridge to Emerald Isle might get busy for thirty minutes at check out and check in on Saturday or Sunday, but it is nothing like the two hour stop and go traffic jams that you see on North Carolina's Northern Outer Banks.

You didn't mention whether you actually ate in any of the restaurants, but from Swansboro to Beaufort there are a number of top quality restaurants where you get the freshest seafood around. It is often right off the boat.

There are also restaurants in every price range, but Beaufort has more than its share of expensive ones. When I last ate in Cape May years ago, the prices were already more expensive than what they are on the Carolina coast today.

I can suggest you try Mike's in Emerald Isle, the Fairway in Cape Carteret, or the Crab Shack in Salter Path. They all have reasonably priced meals, especially at lunch.

Mike's actually closes at 2 pm each day. Their $8.95 fried oyster basket is one of my favorites as the $6.95 fried whole clam lunch special at the Crab Shack. The Fairway even has some evening main course meals under $10, and their lunch specials are always reasonably priced.

I lived in the Northeast for four years and worked in Washington, DC for many years. I pretty much know what crowding looks like.

Cape Carteret-Emerald Isle-Cedar Point and Swansboro are some of the nicest and least crowded coastal areas around that actually have year round services including restaurants that stay open all winter.

But you are right, everyone likes different things. However, the Southern Outer Banks are no Jersey shore by any stretch of the imagination.

Did you take a trip to Cape Lookout? You won't find many crowds there, and you certainly won't have to wear a tag on your bathing suit to get on the beaches.

Last edited by dsobotta; 08-17-2007 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: missing letter

Old 08-23-2007, 07:01 PM

3 posts, read 19,145 times
I'll echo David's comments about Beaufort. Nice small town with plenty to do and get involved in.

There is indeed a new golf course opening soon...our first in town and 5th or 6th in the area.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:17 AM

3 posts, read 17,778 times
We live in NJ. We bought property on Dolphin Road in Oriental 4 years ago..... A few more years to go and we'll be moving there! Can't wait!

Old 03-24-2009, 10:29 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,744,235 times
I fish out of Oriental a lot, and I love it, but I cannot believe it is that cool a place to live. Even for a neo-Luddite such as myself, there is just not enough there, if you still the least bit active. But as many have said, to each his or her own.

I think Beaufort is awesome, but at $200 per square foot, in town, not even on water, that is just too rich for my blood. If I could have gotten in before the astronomical price rise, I would be there, however.

A lot of other areas are, well to be honest, just plain tacky. Would not catch me in them, but again, they do attract many.

We are in New Bern which has it share of problems but on balance it is big enough so you don't go crazy, but small enough so that you see people you know al around town.

I think the real jewel, however, is Little Washington. They have a great waterfront, is only about 25 minutes from Greenville, and has a great main street. Another great thing about Washington, elitist cover your ears, is that about everyone is in the public school system. Not a plethora of academies and private schools there, yet. I am sure once enough rich outsiders move in, there will be move to insulate the rich from the locals, but so far, at least as of last year, that had not taken off.

lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina