U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:23 AM

4,610 posts, read 10,206,766 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for answering my thread.

To clarify it, I am talking about the North Carolina coast. All this information is helpful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 08:26 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,351,550 times
Quote:
To clarify it, I am talking about the North Carolina coast. All this information is helpful.
We figured you were...but as you see, most of the really prestigious ones are south of us. Liz

Old 08-13-2007, 05:59 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,121,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Thank you all for answering my thread.

To clarify it, I am talking about the North Carolina coast. All this information is helpful. Thanks.
Yes, as Liz says, we know, but Roma, you can shop and do that other stuff in Miami ..... What you want is our glorious Outer Banks where you can see a lot of nothing and a lighthouse or two. Fort Fisher past Carolina Beach for a bit of history and wonder at how this small encampment held off a navy. Wilmington is pretty cool (son lives there and I go every chance I get) Beaufort is pretty and "Old South" and hard to tell old money from regular folk. All these places have non-chain great seafood places and interesting "house" drinks with umbrellas and fruit in them. Bald Head is fancy dress-up and stuff and probably has good food and does have a nice golf course.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:32 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,643,483 times
Figure Eight Island and Bald Head Island are both nice beach areas near Wilmington.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Figure Eight Island
Haven't found that one yet. I know about BHI...was actually going out to see the Old Baldy lighthouse a couple of weeks ago but decided it was still too hot to try. Maybe in Sept/Oct. Liz

Old 08-14-2007, 07:40 AM

335 posts, read 1,083,095 times
I would say Wilmington is a great place to live on the coast. It's not very big , but Wilmington has a lot of character.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:06 AM

148 posts, read 555,574 times
Default Western Cartert County

You have some good restuarants in the area, seafood, steaks, fish, and tons of shopping within one mile to 20 miles. Cape Carteret has Star Hill Golf Course, it has all the amenities and 27 holes over 3, 9 hole courses, Sands,Pines and Lakes. The beaches are spectacular and if you enjoy fishing, Cape Carteret has its own town pier and boat ramp. There are excellent medical facilities here and fire and rescue, and a great local police force. I know Chief Deal personally, and he is committed to keeping this small town of 2000 secure and protected. I dont mind paying taxes for a great police force. There is no congestion here, except the beach traffic going over to Emerald Isle can get busy on the weekends. We have a nice public library that is just the right size, excellent fitness center that offers everything, and we are getting the areas only bowling alley, right here in Cape Carteret. I could sale this place easy, but the area SALES itself. Please email me if you want more info about the area, Steven.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:55 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,643,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Haven't found that one yet. I know about BHI...was actually going out to see the Old Baldy lighthouse a couple of weeks ago but decided it was still too hot to try. Maybe in Sept/Oct. Liz
Figure Eight is the island that's just up the coast from Wrightsville, out towards Ogden. I've never been there either, but my understanding is that it's restricted to the public by car, but by law the beach is "public." I assume you'd need a boat to get there. Supposedly, lots of famous people visit.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:11 PM

I'll have to look at a good area map. Thanks. Liz

Old 08-15-2007, 02:56 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,420,434 times
Not really a lot of upscale shopping along the NC coast. It is a pretty laid back place. Like others have mentioned, Bald Head Island and Wilmington probably come the closest. Duck maybe? I like Southport and Ocracoke a lot, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina