U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 11:34 AM

3 posts, read 26,141 times

Advertisements

I'm military and will be moving to the Coastal NC area next summer. Hampstead, NC (but the corridor along 17 as well) is looking like where I want to move the family due to my perception on the quality of schools, real estate value, and the reasonable distance to both the bases and Wilmington.

However what I've had difficulty figuring out is what the typical home owner's insurance runs, as well as property taxes? Can anyone share where they live/what they pay?

Also, it looks like there's a lot of new construction going up between 17 and the coast. Any recommendations on where in Pender/Hampstead I want to move? Thanx.

-Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 09:04 AM

107 posts, read 215,019 times
I have been told numerous times that TopSail High School is FANTASTIC, and yes there are tons of developments to buy in down there. You may want to consider Sneads Ferry, Jacksonville, Hubert, Swansboro, and Cape Carteret areas as well, Croatan High School out side Cape Carteret is ONE of the top schools in the state..

Old 08-09-2011, 09:24 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,773,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge610 View Post
However what I've had difficulty figuring out is what the typical home owner's insurance runs, as well as property taxes?
-Chris
We pay about $1800 in homeowners insurance for a 4-br house worth about $320,000. We live in Sneads Ferry. The wind and hail insurance is sold separately, and is the more expensive component. We went with a Farm Bureau agency in Wilmington. The State Fram and Allstate people in Jacksonville wanted $2400-2600.

Property taxes in Onslow County are reasonable, with a mill rate of .585, which is about $1900 on our house. We avoided moving to Pender County, as the property taxes are higher. The schools in Pender are probably better, however. (Search for the county web site to find the property tax mill rate.)

We live in Mimosa Bay, with many Marine and Navy officers from Lejeune as neighbors. There is a similar community called Eagles Watch in Hampstead, which I has natural wildlife areas, and is very attractive.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge610 View Post
Also, it looks like there's a lot of new construction going up between 17 and the coast. Any recommendations on where in Pender/Hampstead I want to move? Thanx.
-Chris
The property tax rate for Pender County is currently .65 .

As I mentioned, I liked Eagle's Watch in Hampstead. Houses from H&H Homes are about $40K more than the same model in Onslow County, eg. $322K to $363K. I recommend H&H because they know how to work with military families. Of course, I don't know your budget. There are much less expensive homes in Onslow County, but then, the schools are average rated.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:31 PM

220 posts, read 225,268 times
My husband and I moved to Hampstead in late June due to a military move. We love it here so far. The drive is about 30 minutes to MCAS New River or the Camp Lejeune back gate, and about 45 minutes to Lejeune front gate during any time other than 7:30 or 4:30. The traffic is horrendous on the road leading to Lejeune at those times.

We love being so close to Wilmington and the it's outskirts, and it takes about 15 minutes for us to drive to Porter's Neck, which is the first more-populated area you'll hit once you take the 17 merge onto Business 17 (known as Market). Hampstead is definitely not a big city, which is what I'm used to, but there's a Food Lion, a CVS, multiple gas stations, banks, restaurants and stores. Drive up the road a few miles and you'll reach the new Harris Teeter, a Lowes, a new Bojangles and Auto Zone, and then take 210 to Topsail Beach. I love being at the beach in 15 minutes!

We have heard that the Topsail School District is tops in the state, which definitely makes Hampstead an attractive place to live. We don't have children but it was definitely something we took into consideration knowing we would likely sell our house in a few years when we move again.

We pay about $1400 a year in insurance, but the homeowners part was reasonable, about $350. It's the wind and hail insurance that's expensive. However, it doesn't matter if you choose Hampstead, Holly Ridge or Sneads Ferry, you will have to pay the high wind and hail insurance. That's what happens when you live in a hurricane-prone area!

Please feel free to DM me if you have any further questions, as it seems your situation is very similar to mine. Good luck!

Old 06-11-2014, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 7,288 times
HOUSE FOR SALE
[url=http://www.trulia.com/property/3118523452-1105-Highlands-Dr-Hampstead-NC-28443]1105 Highlands Drive, Hampstead NC For Sale - Trulia[/url]

Old 05-12-2016, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,575 times
About how much is wind and hail insurance.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donusty View Post
About how much is wind and hail insurance.
Take the figures from Midge above, and escalate them by 10% each year. We currently pay $2700 in homeowner/wind and hail insurance on a house worth about $325K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina