U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:40 PM

610 posts, read 2,758,257 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: member request

Last edited by Yac; 03-27-2013 at 02:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 05:31 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,640,802 times
Some of the individual programs are pretty good- English, education, music. The medical school is supposed to be alright. Their hospital is decent. The name doesn't go very far outside the area which is the case with all the non-flagship UNC schools, and locally it's known as a safety/party school. At least back in my youth their acceptance rate was somewhere north of 90% and all the kids who didn't know what they wanted to do but didn't want to stay home that's where they went. I've had plenty of family who went later on as adults and they all said it was alright, but that was for grad school programs.

Bottom line is depending on what you want to study it can be a great value.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:55 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,109,175 times
Here is a summary from US News online
74% acceptance rate from 09-10 year

I know it's been rated as a very good "value": link to ECU News Services (from 06-07 year)

Old 08-11-2011, 06:33 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,360,032 times
74% acceptance rate from 09-10 year
I remember when it was 100% acceptance rate. Well, there was one qualifier-Beer! ECU was well known as a party school.
But this was during a time when UNC students were singing, "If you can't go to college go to State" so take it all with a grain of salt.

It was originally called East Carolina Teachers College with its purpose as the name implies. My 9th grade Algebra teacher graduated from ECTC. In 1969 It became East Carolina University. It has one of four UNC system medical schools. Music Dept. is suppose to be pretty good too.
Bill

Old 08-11-2011, 06:40 AM

274 posts, read 509,929 times
Bill you are a little out of touch. ECU has many top tier programs. Art for one, it is an extremely challenging program, and recognized by many companies as having very well trained grads. Theatre is another ask Sandra Bullock. And there are many other challenging departments. They have tightened up on admissions too. And as far as State goes depending on what area you apply it can be one of the toughest schools to get into in the state. The cost of both ECU and State continue to go up.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:42 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,360,032 times
oldraider,
Me? Out of touch. Can't argue that at all. But quite obviously I did not communicate the past tense nor the levity of my message properly. I figured the reference to 1969, me being in 9th grade & the qualifier of "take it all with a grain of salt" would be a give away.
ECU is a great school. I currently have a niece enrolled there, a daughter that went there 10 years ago and a brother who attended 35 years ago.
The "Go Pirate" in you got up and stood up for ECU. Good for you.
Bill

Old 08-11-2011, 09:46 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,640,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldraider View Post
Theatre is another ask Sandra Bullock.
I don't know if I'd use her as an example of a quality theater program.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:19 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,236,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldraider View Post
Bill you are a little out of touch. ECU has many top tier programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Moderator cut: member request
in not sure what the "rankings" say this week, but i'd say it has a little more name recognition than UNC Wilmington, but substantially less than NC State.

with big state institutions like these, it really helps to think of one university as a group of smaller colleges (departments), each with its own faculty, with different attitudes, different reputations.

So what really matters is -- the person that will be hiring me, what do THEY think of the university? And that depends a lot on what city or state you want to work in, and what you want to do.

Last edited by Yac; 03-27-2013 at 02:22 AM..

Old 08-11-2011, 10:58 AM

700 posts, read 1,437,866 times
Drinking age increase killed college as a whole. It has taken the college experiences down to just learning. Bummer!!! What kind of leaders will we have now? Noses in their Blackberries and laptops. No understanding of working through the next day with an hangover and have to make the grade. Tailgate parties are just not the same. No more drinking games. We have to play cornhole. That should be enough to chance things. We have lost Spring Break to the islands. And the great frat parties are no more than slumber parties.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:54 AM

274 posts, read 509,929 times
Box of zip... whatever your problem is with Sandra Bullock, she has been successful with her acting career, and is certainly capable of supporting herself. That is what I want every person to be able to do. She got started at ECU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina