U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-15-2011, 07:57 AM
 
28 posts, read 61,540 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Our family is looking into moving - one of the states on our list is NC. A friend lives in Outer Banks but I don't know if that is the area for us due to the lack of jobs except for tourism.

It is my husband, myself and our three boys. We also have a 5 month puppy that we aren't sure what he is but he's 45lbs and we also have a 7 yr old Shih Tzu

We do not have a lot of money but we will be selling our home and are open to renting or getting a manufactured home. We currently live in the northern suburbs of Pittsburgh in a upscale manufactured home community.

Any suggestions are welcomed for living!

Now comes jobs - I do a lot of work online with social media, brand campaigns, etc so I can work from anywhere but I'm mostly just a mom.

My husband currently gets very nice pay but lousy benefits from his job. He works in a industrial plumbing warehouse. He runs forklifts, cranes, and fabricates metal pipe. He is strong and often carries bundles of metal pipe without the crane.

I would like to be able to continue staying at home with the boys until they are all in school full-time and once we find a location I will be actively seeking out telecommute positions available to that state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2011, 08:09 AM
 
18 posts, read 38,135 times
Reputation: 20
Just a word of advice: Do not even think of moving to NC especially the Outer Banks without a job and/or at least 8 months worth of living expenses in the bank. The job market is extremely tough here in NC and especially in areas like the Outer banks and other coastal communities. Be smart and think before you uproot your family and your husband leaves a good paying job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2011, 08:23 AM
 
28 posts, read 61,540 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgirl53 View Post
Just a word of advice: Do not even think of moving to NC especially the Outer Banks without a job and/or at least 8 months worth of living expenses in the bank. The job market is extremely tough here in NC and especially in areas like the Outer banks and other coastal communities. Be smart and think before you uproot your family and your husband leaves a good paying job.
We are for sure! Even if my husband has to live down there without us we will make sure things are in line. One reason I'm turning here for advice. It's going to be a long, long process but we absolutely hate it here in Pittsburgh so before the boys get too vested here we'd like to settle in our new HOME town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2011, 09:50 AM
 
28 posts, read 61,540 times
Reputation: 15
Do you know of any nice employment agencies in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2011, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,289 posts, read 19,853,641 times
Reputation: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoMomof3Boyz View Post
My husband currently gets very nice pay but lousy benefits from his job. He works in a industrial plumbing warehouse. He runs forklifts, cranes, and fabricates metal pipe. He is strong and often carries bundles of metal pipe without the crane.
I would suggest looking around Wilmington, Leland and Southport. The Port of Wilmington probably has warehousing-type jobs. There are also many manufactured housing communities in Southport, and it's within commuting distance of Wilmington.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2011, 02:52 PM
 
28 posts, read 61,540 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I would suggest looking around Wilmington, Leland and Southport. The Port of Wilmington probably has warehousing-type jobs. There are also many manufactured housing communities in Southport, and it's within commuting distance of Wilmington.

Good luck.
Thank you! I appreciate your thoughts. Will for sure look into the manufacturing and warehouse complexes in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top