U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 10:21 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,809,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Mid-sized college town with lots of parties. Some decent shopping. Lots of druggies and bars. That's about it.

Used to live there.
If you're responding to the OP, the question was asked almost 8 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 11:10 AM

16 posts, read 15,667 times
2015, first impressions from a North Easterner:

Greenville is one of those places where you will read plenty of about, some good, a lot bad. I don't live there yet, but me and my wife spent the weekend there a few weeks ago, and we checked out the area as much as we could - the downtown, which is small-ish, but quaint. The Winslow's/Starlight cafe area area is particularly nice and we could see ourselves frequenting those places regularly. Not sure if they are filled with college kids around school time, but I tend to doubt it since there's plenty of surrounding dive bars with much cheaper prices. The second night we went out to dinner at Villedge which was very cool, and the inside bar was also very cool. We stumbled upon a benefit at another bar/club, and that surprisingly fun too. Sunday morning we found breakfast at a cool place (forgot the name), but most stuff was closed, which was weird to us. We then stopped in at a grocery store called The Fresh Market which looked awesome, sort of like an upscale Whole Foods. We were thankful for this in a city that seemed littered with Food Lions and others. It was also pretty much empty on a Sunday morning - everyone at church I guess - which is crazy because where I come from those places are MOBBED on Sundays. Win us.

Never once did I not feel perfectly safe, and although I heard so much about crime and "bad parts" that I considered not even seeing for myself, those parts are obviously not readily visible because we really only drove down one questionable street. I believe there is a part of Greenville that is definitely in need of revitalization but it certainly isn't widespread by any means... probably not much different than most cities, tbh.

The surrounding area has lots of commerce and restaurants and beyond that seemingly endless "subdivisions" (where I come from they are called developments).

The area could use more upscale restaurants and bars and less chains, as well as a decent wine bar or two, but I feel like things will continue to change in Greenville as it continues to grow and the Connector is completed. There is a ton of chain fast food, and ethnic choices as well ranging from decent look mexican to ultra cheesy Chinese places with "Super" and "Buffet" in the name. Overall, tons of choices, just probably too many that me and my wife would never consider.

The traffic wasn't terrible, but got worse as the day went on.. but I'm from the Boston area, so it was nothing for me.

Obviously I haven't explored all there is there, but for first impressions, it exceeded my expectations (thank you internet for making me think it was a giant ghetto!)

Last edited by saysomemore; 06-02-2015 at 11:18 AM..

Old 06-02-2015, 12:31 PM

5,417 posts, read 5,400,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saysomemore View Post
2015, first impressions from a North Easterner:

Greenville is one of those places where you will read plenty of about, some good, a lot bad. I don't live there yet, but me and my wife spent the weekend there a few weeks ago, and we checked out the area as much as we could - the downtown, which is small-ish, but quaint. The Winslow's/Starlight cafe area area is particularly nice and we could see ourselves frequenting those places regularly. Not sure if they are filled with college kids around school time, but I tend to doubt it since there's plenty of surrounding dive bars with much cheaper prices. The second night we went out to dinner at Villedge which was very cool, and the inside bar was also very cool. We stumbled upon a benefit at another bar/club, and that surprisingly fun too. Sunday morning we found breakfast at a cool place (forgot the name), but most stuff was closed, which was weird to us. We then stopped in at a grocery store called The Fresh Market which looked awesome, sort of like an upscale Whole Foods. We were thankful for this in a city that seemed littered with Food Lions and others. It was also pretty much empty on a Sunday morning - everyone at church I guess - which is crazy because where I come from those places are MOBBED on Sundays. Win us.

Never once did I not feel perfectly safe, and although I heard so much about crime and "bad parts" that I considered not even seeing for myself, those parts are obviously not readily visible because we really only drove down one questionable street. I believe there is a part of Greenville that is definitely in need of revitalization but it certainly isn't widespread by any means... probably not much different than most cities, tbh.

The surrounding area has lots of commerce and restaurants and beyond that seemingly endless "subdivisions" (where I come from they are called developments).

The area could use more upscale restaurants and bars and less chains, as well as a decent wine bar or two, but I feel like things will continue to change in Greenville as it continues to grow and the Connector is completed. There is a ton of chain fast food, and ethnic choices as well ranging from decent look mexican to ultra cheesy Chinese places with "Super" and "Buffet" in the name. Overall, tons of choices, just probably too many that me and my wife would never consider.

The traffic wasn't terrible, but got worse as the day went on.. but I'm from the Boston area, so it was nothing for me.

Obviously I haven't explored all there is there, but for first impressions, it exceeded my expectations (thank you internet for making me think it was a giant ghetto!)

You came down on a beautiful weekend to explore our area. We relocated down from So. NJ 12 yrs. ago and we have seem a lot of changes.

Unlike the N. E., this is our quiet time of year. ECU College is out and the kids have gone back home until August when Football Season and school is about to begin. Problems happen downtown when school is in session on Weekend nights. Sunday mornings are very quiet, everyone is at Church. Things start to pick up after lunch around 1:00 pm.

The Fresh Market is a great store with awonderful selection of food. Their weekly sales you really can't beat. Tuesday--Free Range Boneless Chicken Breasts & freshly Ground Chuck, $2.99 lb. Fridays, they have fish on sale. There is a great Catfish Farm, a few miles away in Ayden. Jersey Natural Ice Cream is about 15 mins. away in Hookerton, where you rock on the front porch, eating home made ice cream, listening to Alan Jackson. Although a chain, Bonefish Grill never disappoints & always consistent.

Take your time to look around and explore, then you can come to a decision if the Greenville/Winterville is for you. If you decide to move down here or anywhere else in the South, leave the Northern ways back there and embrace the new changes that will come. "That's not the way we did it up North" will not make you friends.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Take your time to look around and explore, then you can come to a decision if the Greenville/Winterville is for you. If you decide to move down here or anywhere else in the South, leave the Northern ways back there and embrace the new changes that will come. "That's not the way we did it up North" will not make you friends.
Thanks, we've actually already decided to move down. What spurred this is that I got a job offer in the first place, which is why we were down there. But don't worry, it isn't my first rodeo in the South - I lived in SC (Bluffton/Hilton Head) for a few years, so I know all about the southern ways! Generally speaking, people are about 5x-10x nicer in the South :P Thanks for the tip on the bonefish grill! What's the deal with wine in area? Scouring the internet, all the wine-related places (not counting paint and pour) in Greenville have closed. I'm surprised a 150k+ population city can't support even one legit wine bar. I ask because me and my wife love a good wine bar.. are there any near by in neighboring towns?

Old 06-02-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saysomemore View Post
Thanks, we've actually already decided to move down. What spurred this is that I got a job offer in the first place, which is why we were down there. But don't worry, it isn't my first rodeo in the South - I lived in SC (Bluffton/Hilton Head) for a few years, so I know all about the southern ways! Generally speaking, people are about 5x-10x nicer in the South :P Thanks for the tip on the bonefish grill! What's the deal with wine in area? Scouring the internet, all the wine-related places (not counting paint and pour) in Greenville have closed. I'm surprised a 150k+ population city can't support even one legit wine bar. I ask because me and my wife love a good wine bar.. are there any near by in neighboring towns?
One of the reasons why I believe there aren't any wine bars down here is because it is really a College town & their tastes have not developed yet for good wine. Bonefish has an excellent selection of wine. I don't think that you would be disappointed.

HH is very different than Greenville, & you are right about people being very friendly and nice.

Congratulations on the job offer. If you haven't checked already Winterville is right outside of Greenville & have some beautiful homes. Taxes are lower if you are not in the City Limits.

The best of luck in your move. When are you going to relocate? kelsie

Old 06-02-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
One of the reasons why I believe there aren't any wine bars down here is because it is really a College town & their tastes have not developed yet for good wine. Bonefish has an excellent selection of wine. I don't think that you would be disappointed.

HH is very different than Greenville, & you are right about people being very friendly and nice.

Congratulations on the job offer. If you haven't checked already Winterville is right outside of Greenville & have some beautiful homes. Taxes are lower if you are not in the City Limits.

The best of luck in your move. When are you going to relocate? kelsie
Thanks for the tips We're actually looking a lot in Winterville - we really like the style of the Bill Clark new construction. Do you live in Winterville? There's so many choices...

Old 06-03-2015, 11:12 AM

Yes, we do live in Winterville & there is a lot of inventory. You will have a lot of homes to consider. Take your time once you are down here.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 1,034 times
BrunnetteCarolinaGirl,
Hello, we currently live in NE PA. We are looking to relocate to NC and have been researching New Bern and Greenville areas. I am getting alot of mixed reviews on New Bern. We have three children preschool, elementary, and high school. A little concerned on fitting in and how the kids will be accepted at school. Not really into city living. Any advice will help. Thank you somuch.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:19 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,435,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docker4 View Post
BrunnetteCarolinaGirl,
Hello, we currently live in NE PA. We are looking to relocate to NC and have been researching New Bern and Greenville areas. I am getting alot of mixed reviews on New Bern. We have three children preschool, elementary, and high school. A little concerned on fitting in and how the kids will be accepted at school. Not really into city living. Any advice will help. Thank you somuch.
BrunetteCarolina Girl hasn't posted on this site in 10 years, so I think the chances of hearing from her are slim. And since this is such an old thread you'd be better off starting a new thread.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:10 AM

2 posts, read 1,034 times
Looking to relocate to north carolina greenville area from up north. Researching New Bern, winterville, greenville. Any advice on a nice area to live in. We spend alot of time on a boat so looking for somewhere within an hour.
I've read so many mixed reviews on New Bern and my husband was counting on moving there. We have 3 children preschool ,elementary , and high school. If I could get advice on a good school district as well that would be great. Heading down this weekend to check it out. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina