U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:08 AM

3,574 posts, read 13,116,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
There is also a LOT of B&B's right in the area of 3rd Street down to the River Front from about Market St to about Nun St. Lots of shops and restaurants right ON the River Front in that area too. Liz
Yes, but have you priced the B&Bs Though the last time I stayed, it was much nicer than any of the hotels and the food was plentiful...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 10:12 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,348,953 times
Quote:
Yes, but have you priced the B&Bs Though the last time I stayed, it was much nicer than any of the hotels and the food was plentiful.
Yes, I HAVE. Stayed at one for my househunting trip in March. Also stayed at the same one the days I was here before my household goods arrived. The host/hostess was friendly and very helpful. Made me feel at home. Chose the one I stayed in cause it had internet access. Liz

Old 09-02-2007, 10:14 AM

Thumbs up Go Seahawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcleveland View Post
Hey, thanks for the info. I think that we have decided on the Wilmington area, I'll have to check out the Leland and the surrounding areas. We're leaning toward Wilmington because I'm interested in UNC- Wilmington. Myrtle Beach would be nice too, but I would like a place that is more "year- round". We do plan on having jobs lined up before we make the leap, but it is nice to know that it is more expensive, I wasn't expecting that, luckily it isn't too much of a hike.
Out-of-state tuition is horrendous!!!!! Be sure to have your transcripts sent to the UNC-Wilmington admissions office when you apply - you'd be surprised at the people who do not do that. Tour the college and make an appointment to speak to the transfer coordinator. Enrollment is competitive - but it's a great place to be! Son is a graduate.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Yes, I HAVE. Stayed at one for my househunting trip in March. Also stayed at the same one the days I was here before my household goods arrived. The host/hostess was friendly and very helpful. Made me feel at home. Chose the one I stayed in cause it had internet access. Liz
So you agree, much better than a hotel. 'course, now I have a permanent "guest room", so I don't get to visit them any more.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Yeah, I didn't mean to say that the entire town was "grungy and drunk", lol - there are definitely nice cafes, B&B's, coffee shops, sushi bars, bookstores, and restaurants of every variety. You can go to an expensive Thai or French restaurant, or you can go hang out at the communist bar, a Laundromat/bar/concert venue, or lots of nasty hole-in-the-wall bars and pool joints. Basically my point is that you wouldn't expect a small place like Wilmington to have as much weirdness as it does.

I just meant that I expected Wilmington to be more like Savannah or Charleston, which it is not.
Also, a lot of community theater - traditional, alternative, unusual..... Thalian Hall is great. Big Dog Productions put on several interesting plays during the year. UNC-W offers at least one major production each semester. Shakespeare in the Park did several shows over the summer. (I am biased - son is an actor )

Old 09-03-2007, 04:18 PM

69 posts, read 424,529 times
Definetly check out Wilmington NC house rentals -property management - CENTURY 21 Sweyer & Associates for cheaper apts (700 range) if that is what you are looking for. Also, around campus there are more affordable places to live apt wise. I am in my mid-20s and work in the school district here...I had to jump in my price range for an apt that I was happy with. So just keep your eyes open. I would check craigslist on a daily basis...that is what I did...they always have great stuff.

As for the downtown life, I agree with everyone that has said it is weird but great! I went to the Farmer's Market for the first time this weekend and thought it was so fun. Then today I checked out Hugh McRae park and it was a very relaxing place to read! Just some thoughts....

Like I said, ask me any questions you have. Just moved here from Ohio myself and did a lot of research/visiting before I moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina