Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2007, 03:01 PM

9 posts, read 20,654 times

Advertisements

WOuld like to know what can I expect in terms of pest, insects and hurricanes in Greenville? I heard there are poisonous spiders (black widow and brown recluse), and snakes... any chance I will encouter these in a urban area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 06:20 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Sorry, don't live in Greenville, but on the coast, but maybe I can help a bit.

Yes, there are bugs & insects here (as everywhere). The most annoying are mosquitoes and fire ants. The fire ants tend to leave one alone if you don't step onto their ant hills. Live and let live. Their bites are fire-like...putting meat tenderizer on the bites seems to calm them down some. I've yet to have any come in the house.

The other bug we get are palmetto bugs--which look like big roaches--and they can fly, too. They have little to do with cleanliness or lack thereof--they come into the house seeking water--and unlike roaches, they don't seem to get into the food. We sweep ours outside with a broom (live and let live) and I'm sure they come marching right back in. It's our form of hockey--they're fast on their feet.

In five years, I've seen one poisonous snake in the back yard--a pygmy rattle snake. Kind of cute. Didn't rattle at me, so I left it alone. Never saw it again. But I'm careful picking up fallen branches now.

Doubt you'd have much to worry about with hurricanes in Greenville if you avoid flood zones (your realtor can tell you whether you're in one or not).

Spiders? Don't know about Greenville. We do have brown recluse spiders here on the coast but I've only met one person who was bit by one--so it's not a major worry. I worry more about summer tourists and their sometimes erratic driving than hurricanes, snakes, spiders or insects. I love it here despite a few biting insects and the occasional windstorm. Now earthquakes--they terrify me--they come without warning.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:15 PM

9 posts, read 20,654 times
thank you for your reply LittleDolphin! Are there a lot of earthquakes? I come from a place where there is an earthquake once in a while(small ones though). Are they a big problem? I'm coming to Gville anyway, but it's good to know in advance what to expect.

Thanks!

Old 11-30-2007, 01:34 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Oops, didn't mean to imply that Greenville (or North Carolina) get earthquakes. I was referring back to my former home state of California!

So come to Greenville and NC and don't fret about earthquakes--there are none (or maybe in the historic past? But none I've heard of).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina