Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 02:46 PM

43 posts, read 147,078 times

Advertisements

Stay safe good neighbors in the coastal Carolinas . . . Eastern New York - where I am - is going to be hit late this evening or very early in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 02:59 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,878,133 times
The majority of the coast, especially the areas resided in by most of the posters on this forum, are without power. That said for long time residents, those I've spoken are all doing fine and taking it in stride. My parents are grilling with their friends, for one. Your thoughts are appreciated, though, I assure you.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:13 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,754,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
The majority of the coast, especially the areas resided in by most of the posters on this forum, are without power. That said for long time residents, those I've spoken are all doing fine and taking it in stride. My parents are grilling with their friends, for one. Your thoughts are appreciated, though, I assure you.
WHen you are able, please give us an update on the damage to the OBX .

Old 08-27-2011, 04:49 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,878,133 times
I have friends and family in Carteret, Craven, Jones, Onslow, Wayne, Pitt, and New Hanover (as far as the affected areas). Don't know anyobe from the outer banks and the most coverage I've seen for them is TWC from Nags Head.

As far as areas I know about , Bogue Pier is gone at Atlantic Beach, flooding in New Bern, especially downtown close to the river (hope you're fine LLN), Bay and Fisher street are flooded in Morehead (my father-in-law stays on Fisher), roof was coming off Richlands High cafeteria, roof was also coming off Jones County civic center (which was a shelter). Speaking of shelters, people at Stanley White in New Bern had to be moved to a different shelter in New Bern. Speaking of New Bern, cell service has been pretty bad their, to include Fairfield Harbour. I know this is true for AT&T specifically, and maybe others.

Edit: Forgot about Wayne County. Over 2/3 of people without power, including the area around the hospital, and damage to the roof of the mall.

Edit 2: Forgot about New Hanover. Wilmington largely unscathed. I don't know about the beach itself, though.

Last edited by macjr82; 08-27-2011 at 04:58 PM..

Old 08-27-2011, 05:54 PM

12 posts, read 24,515 times
Somebody in Greenville forgot their dog. Check Dogs Deserve Better on Facebook.

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

Said to be at 2307 old courthouse rd

Last edited by jljames; 08-27-2011 at 07:00 PM..

Old 08-29-2011, 08:39 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,754,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I have friends and family in Carteret, Craven, Jones, Onslow, Wayne, Pitt, and New Hanover (as far as the affected areas). Don't know anyobe from the outer banks and the most coverage I've seen for them is TWC from Nags Head.

As far as areas I know about , Bogue Pier is gone at Atlantic Beach, flooding in New Bern, especially downtown close to the river (hope you're fine LLN), Bay and Fisher street are flooded in Morehead (my father-in-law stays on Fisher), roof was coming off Richlands High cafeteria, roof was also coming off Jones County civic center (which was a shelter). Speaking of shelters, people at Stanley White in New Bern had to be moved to a different shelter in New Bern. Speaking of New Bern, cell service has been pretty bad their, to include Fairfield Harbour. I know this is true for AT&T specifically, and maybe others.

Edit: Forgot about Wayne County. Over 2/3 of people without power, including the area around the hospital, and damage to the roof of the mall.

Edit 2: Forgot about New Hanover. Wilmington largely unscathed. I don't know about the beach itself, though.
I see on TV that the main road that runs thru the OBX is totally washed out . Hope they get that fixed by next April cause i want to spend my vacation their in an RV.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:43 AM

43 posts, read 147,078 times
Macjr82 - coastal areas took a bad hit I see - up here as well. Thanks for your imput - I thought all our states/coastal were as prepared as could be - incredible immobilization and careful planning. My specific nab was fine - very few trees down - plenty of branches and flooding in parts - but, all in all - we faired quite well.

Glad to hear too that your parents were grilling away during all this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina